Has Anyone Adjusted the Head Bearings on a F850GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by The Gobbler, Sep 12, 2019.

1. The Gobbler

The Gobbler Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a clunk in the fork on my F850GS and believe it's the head bearings (not sure). Was wondering if anyone has done this? I really don't want to take it to the dealer for something like this.
  2. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I saw several people report that the 600 mile dealer service included "Check and Adjust Steering Head Bearings if Required" I have been checking mine at every oil change (coming up on #4) and they have always been good... bike has 5,000 miles now.

I have a clunk and believe it to be the disc rotors where they float on the hub.
  3. The Gobbler

Oddometer:
    I certainly would be surprised if it was the head bearings, I've never had to adjust one with many years and thousands upon thousands of miles on bikes. I did initially think it was rotor float, but with the front off the ground, I can push the fork front to back and feel/hear the clunk.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  4. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll second the 600 mile comment - talk to your dealer. I believe the head bearing adjustment is a warranty item and so they would likely do it while you wait if they're not too busy (and decent folks - wink). My 600 mile had it listed also. And my wife's 750 also did.
  5. The Gobbler

Oddometer:
    It was the head bearings.
    SnoDrtRider and bobwolff68 like this.