Has anyone bought a CB500x and regretted it?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by vinsonrider, Apr 14, 2015.

1. CJTaz

CJTaz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ive had mine for just over a year now and still loving it. I commute most days and some soft roading. Will replace the stock tires with better off roaders when worn. I moved down from a heavy XJ900 and love the handling of the X. For commuting I get in to work quicker as the handling thru traffic is great. Shame I dont see more about.
  2. KillerDyller

KillerDyller Teabagged your drumset Supporter

Oddometer:
    Newer X owner here with my take on the bike thus far, exactly one month and 850 miles later. I was somewhat apprehensive about the power capability two up of the bike. My wife and I did 150 miles last weekend, and not once did I want for more power. I find the bike to have good usable, predictable power. I'm a short guy at 5'9" and 175lbs, and I feel like its made for me. So to answer your question, no I don't regret buying the bike at all, I made the right decision for me. It's a ball to ride, super-practical commuter and light weight touring bike. I think it looks bad-ass and was a hell of a thrifty buy as well. YMMV
  3. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I forgot to say I'm 5' 10" and weigh 175. I haven't tried riding the bike with a passenger. (wife has got her own bikes)
  4. ZCarFan2

ZCarFan2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got mine in February -- about 1300 miles so far. No regrets. It does what I ask of it and does not get in the way. I only ride solo and it has plenty of power. Easy handling, reasonable comfort, and plenty of off-road capability for the dirt roads I've been wanting to ride (there's a lot of them in GA and AL)

I think of it as a great budget all-arounder.
  5. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a bike with little power and riding 2 up doesn't make it lose power. It just has little power to start with and riding 2 up maybe a little difficult unless you don't know any better. I've had my daughter on the back for a mile so she could ride it to practice but it wasn't comfortable for me and neither for her. I have a BMW R1200RT for when I ride with my wife. She would never ride with me again if she had to sit on the back of a CB500X:lol3.
  6. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    I have a Corbin seat on mine. and I have done 300+ mile days with my daughter on the back of it. I had a FZ-1 before this and we road it the same, She is much more happy on the back on the 500X. When I first went to look at it I took her with me because with as much as she rides with me if the bike wasn't ok with her on the back I wasn't going to buy it. No it is not a 1200cc bike but it does just fine for what it is. I rarely find myself wishing I had the power of the FZ-1. And when I do it's when I have to wait for a little more room to pass a car.

Also the two of us together weigh less then 400lbs. I'm 6'2" and she is 5'8"
  7. Daishiknyte

Daishiknyte I'm Me There

Oddometer:
    Get in line. It starts over ---------------------------------------> there. :D
  8. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Preference vs. "[not knowing] any better" are two different things. The 500 has plenty of power to run 2 people. My wife and I weigh well north of 400# when geared up, not to mention extras. The 500 suffers from room in our case, but we had no problem w/the power output (As I knew what to expect and how to apply it to our satisfaction.) or the suspension (Much to my surprise. Not that we did any riding to push it.). I have, and have had, plenty of big bikes and they have their advantages...as do little bikes. Use 'em as you choose.
  9. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Nice little bike, great price point, but when I rode it and got it to what felt like the "sweet spot", I was going about 45 and it felt like 70, when I rung it out to 60, the speed limit on one stretch, it felt like it was going to fly apart, seemingly not a happy spot in it's powerband. It is sure light and nimble to make u-turns on remote roads and so on, but it felt too buzzy.

The KLR is ahead of it as far as usable range of the powerband. It's also heavier duty.
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Then you didn't really find its sweet spot. :wink:
  11. Bluebone

Bluebone half band

Oddometer:
    Where the hell have I been? I didn't even know there was a CB500. I think I'll be putting this one on my list of must consider bikes.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  12. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    No offense, but you're comparing apples to watermelons here. :D

The X was never meant to compete with full size luxo touring barges for comfort.

I've traveled a bit on the X and you would not take your RT some of the places I've been.
  13. McRat

McRat Long timer

Oddometer:

It's a twin. It spins faster. It makes >80% full torque from 2500 to 9000 rpm when I dyno'd it. The engine is pretty sweet, but like all bikes, it has it's own flavor. Personally, I'll leave the single cylinders in the dirt. Not a big fan of thumpers at 75mph even though I've certainly logged a lot of years commuting on big singles.

It's 'happy spot' is pretty much everywhere if you ignore the tach. And it does take a few days to adjust to it. But it is perfectly happy at all RPM.

EDIT - Looking at the dyno again, in theory, the engine is happiest at 6300rpm, or just over 1/2 it's usable RPM range. 9000-2500 = 6500/2=3250+2500= 5,750rpm is the middle of the 80% torque curve. Not bad.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  14. Newstrom48

Newstrom48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2014 CB500X and no regrets. Great power range, smooooth revving, and good seating position.

Could have regrets if I ever rode 2 up. Also, if I needed louder sounds from the engine to sooth the soul (I'm sure it is too quiet for some).
  15. VikB

VikB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My buddy bought one last June. Rode it through the summer. Stored it for the winter and just sold it with 3K miles on it.

He found it pretty uninspired and boring to ride.

I had a chance to ride it and it didn't do anything for me. In fact I saw this coming and tried to convince him to buy something else last year, but for whatever reason he was fixated on the CB.

Having said all that I think Honda delivers what they advertise with this bike. It's an easy to ride, reliable, low cost bike with comfortable ergonomics.

So it comes down to having realistic expectations from the bike.
  16. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    You are too unstable for the CB500X... :D
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    If anyone is buying this bike and expecting fire-breathing acceleration you bought the wrong bike. I've ridden one. It was a great linear motor for being a 500. The Rally Raid setup will be great for this bike as the motor will be a gem in the dirt (controllable) and yet have enough legs on faster paved stretches.
    Expecting 750-1000+cc rapid acceleration is just silly.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  18. Baba Al

Baba Al The Decider

Oddometer:
    I added a 500X to my stable last year and ride it more than any of my other bikes. Great around town bike and an absolute weapon on a twisty road. Only mods are a Two Brothers pipe and adjustable levers. Next up is some more aggressive rubber and the Rally Raid stage 1 suspension. My only regret is that I live in Minnesota and my riding days are limited.
    :vardy
    Sfcootz and Ksc like this.
  19. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will the ECU compensate for the slip-on, or did you add a fueler unit?
  20. vinsonrider

vinsonrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After 40 years, on and off in the saddle and more bikes than I care to remember I have come to the conclusion Jessee James could hand build me a chopper out of meteorite iron that runs on unicorn piss and it still wouldn't make me cool. That and I am really not mature enough or responsible enough to be riding anything with more horse power than a riding lawn mower. I think the CB may just be the right fit for now..........
    LostViking, ross, sinned and 3 others like this.