Has anyone bought a CB500x and regretted it?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by vinsonrider, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Baba Al

Baba Al The Decider

Oddometer:
    No fueling adjustment needed. The bike runs great, sounds great, looks great, and the Two Brothers carbon fiber pipe is beautiful, even my wife commented on it and she knows nothing about bikes except that I have too many of them.
    Sfcootz and LostViking like this.
  2. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
  3. Soulbreeze

Soulbreeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had mine for a few weeks now. Just shy of 1,000 miles.

I was looking for a new, comfortable bike. Something I knew no one had beaten the piss out of. Something I could pay off inside of 2 years. Something I could afford to maintain after paying off and taking on a new car loan. A leftover 500X fit the bill.

Not much to complain about yet. Exhaust is too quiet; you can hear it a little bit at very low revs in town. Other than that you only hear the engine working. Even my mother, who hated the Ixil pipe on my Gladius, said it's too quiet.

Windshield happiness varies greatly from person to person, so me not liking the stocker shouldn't count. Have a MRA Vario on the way.

That's really about it. I'm still trying to adjust to how skinny the bike is and whiff on the pedals from time to time. Corners better than any other bike I've owned. Going over 200 miles and STILL not seeing a low fuel warning is pretty awesome. :D
  4. Dagny_Taggart

Dagny_Taggart John Galt - 2020 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bike History: FZ-6, DRZ400S, ZX-9R, R1200GSA, K1200R Sport, Hypermotard, Super Tenere, FJR1300, KLR650, CB500X.

I was looking at sportier bikes, like the S1000R and the SuperDuke, but I finally decided I wanted a lightweight commuter that was an all arounder. The CB500X is just a jewell. I like a bike that has balance and everything works well. I have very much enjoyed it - No Regrets!
    Sfcootz and Phipsd like this.
  5. easy_rider_77

easy_rider_77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I downsized from this:

[​IMG]

to this:

[​IMG]

So far so good, have to get used to shifting a bit more to stay in the powerband, and get blown about a bit more on the highways, but overall, enjoying the lower weight and the greater nimbleness...... plus the lower costs (gas, insurance etc) overall help too.
  6. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have to like your bike, no doubt. But, having said that, you also have to be able to adapt to a bike's personality and ability. I've had mostly big-bore, high performance bikes for decades now but I still enjoy the small-mid-bore bikes. In fact, more now so than ever, having left the performance riding scene. It's kinda' nice, actually. I'll always love big-bore bikes and crazy power, but the smaller bikes now have a pretty huge draw for flickability, ease of use, economy, and value. I love the variety.
  7. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its what you buy when you cant afford a Ducati.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    anjin75 likes this.
  8. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    I went from this

[​IMG]

To this...

[​IMG]

To this...

[​IMG]

Traded for it in Montrose, CO, rode it home to Arkansas. Actually test rode it back to back with the NC700, chose the CB even knowing the 1000 mile stretch of interstate I was going to have to cover; 600 mile oil change was done on the side of I40x bought a gallon of tea, drank the tea, drained the oil, changed the oil and filter, dumped the oil at the truck stop in Hinton, Ok, and rolled on. The only time the 500 isn't enough bike is when I'm not on it; when riding it, it punches way above it's weight class.
    ross and sinned like this.
  9. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Dog has still "got it".........

:thumb
    dogjaw likes this.
  10. pismocycleguy

pismocycleguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a great plus for self maintenance!
  11. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    My Wife (not the forum type) bought a new 14 X about 3 months ago. 4,000 miles later she says it's been the best bike she's ever had. She has owned 4 Honda's and collectively put over 150,000 miles on them. She is a rider , and loves the X.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  12. McRat

McRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    From experience, shims require fewer adjustments. Yes, they are a PITA when they need it, but they seldom need it.
  13. boonekerley

boonekerley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have yet to find a bike that isn't a blast to ride!!!
    Sfcootz likes this.
  14. browntown75

browntown75 n00b

Oddometer:
    At 350 lbs, will the cb500x get me to 70mph when i need it to? i dont do very much highway riding, i dont prefer that kind of riding, but you know how it is, sometimes you need to flow with traffic or you need to get to those "funner" river roads that are an hour away by highway or freeway. I am assuming that those who have ridden 2 up, will have the most experience of what its like riding in my "weight class". lol
  15. JTXT

JTXT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Changing the shims on the CB500X is not that difficult because the cams do not need to be removed to change the shims, you simply pull the rocker shafts out and move the rocker arm out of the way to access the shims.
  16. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:

I was 200, my daughter right at 100, riding two up had no problem accelerating past any cages, to 70 and well beyond:evil
  17. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Tiny Swedish Climate Demon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like mine just fine coming off a Bandit. I find it a bit revvy on the highway, where im used to being able to cruise along at 80+ barely breaking a sweat on the bandit and this is a bit more frenetic, but its more of a perception thing.

The power is fine - Its kind of torquey for its size, and gets going pretty well. Passing power isnt massive but if you're willing to twist the throttle it accelerates in top gear pretty well.

It handles great - I love how light and quick it feels in comparison to the truck suzuki. I've swapped in a rear shock from a GSXR-750 and will get emulators up front soon to add to the package.

It also looks pretty nice with a set of cases mounted on it.

My biggest complaint is the wind coming off the screen is pretty noisey - no worse than the bandit, but there are days I wish I had a naked like a Street Triple. I do get blown around a bit - almost feels like I'm on my KLX from time to time on the highway.

[​IMG]
  18. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
  19. browntown75

browntown75 n00b

Oddometer:
    My infatuation with the old bikes is wearing thin, having to do more wrenching than riding. I'm not a huge fan of the look of many modern bikes, but the adventure bike style is starting to grow on me. And the fact that you can just get on one and go and not worry a whole bunch about getting back home is very appealing. I might just have to sell some livers and get one of these mother hubbards. The price point on the cb500x and the versys is inviting. Any opinions between those two? Or any others for that matter?
  20. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And your point???. No shims to buy, easier to adjust. It's not if , it's when the job WILL be done.
    700x is the answer.