Has anyone bought a CB500x and regretted it?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by vinsonrider, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Answer to what?

They don't even sell them over here.
  2. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 700X is an answer...and a very good one. The 500X is another answer...and a very good one. Each is good enough to justify having both. Now, there's the answer.
    sinned and sbeadg like this.
  3. Dagny_Taggart

Dagny_Taggart John Galt - 2020 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually, I do regret not buying one sooner.

That would be the only regret.
  4. jwc

jwc Ready to go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone gotten the non-ABS and wish they would have gotten the ABS model?
  5. McRat

McRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    No regrets here. The front brake is great. ABS adds weight and service complexity.

Although I have never owned a bike with ABS, maybe some day I will change my mind, but I think all bikes will have ABS, traction control, and perhaps airbags at some point, just like cars, so there won't be a choice anyways.
  6. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Likewise, no ABS here; never have. I'm good w/o the expense, weight, and complexity. For those that have it, awesome. It's a choice and a safety advantage (However big or small, we'll let go for now. Please...).
  7. AleksTheGreat

AleksTheGreat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would have loved to get the ABS model. You can always disable it by pulling the fuse, but you can't add abs to a bike without it. The couple of extra pounds I wouldn't care about, nor would I be worried about any sort of complexity. Nothing really changes when servicing brakes with abs.

Since I bought used and got a good deal, I had to make peace with it. If given the option I would have absolutely snapped up an ABS one.
  8. Dagny_Taggart

Oddometer:
    4 winters ago I bought a 2wd Silverado. I have only regretted that decision twice... and both times I would have written the check for twice the difference to have 4wd on the spot. I like the 2wd without the complexity of the 4wd... but there are times the 4wd would be handy.
    frog13 likes this.
  9. McRat

McRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    You must deal with the ABS speed sensors any time you change a tire or sprocket. If you screw up (and people have), you can damage the sensor.

There is also the high amp circuit for driving the ABS system, and the additional plumbing that needs to be worked around.

Unlike cars, MC ABS parts are expensive, and all ABS sensors fail over time.

Give you an idea of prices. The ABS modulator is $914. The ABS rings are $48, ABS sensors are $63 each. This is about double the average cost of domestic car items, and they are not as sturdy.
  10. AleksTheGreat

AleksTheGreat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fixed that for you.

:D
  11. McRat

McRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sidebar - had my brand new truck 2 days. Special order, waited 3 months for it. I took the bike to work, and get a call from wifey:

"How do I put Blue into 4x4?"

"There is a button on the left of the dash that says 4x4 High... WAIT!! Why are you asking!!???"

It was raining, and she took a shortcut across the lawn to get the truck out. She sunk the rears down to the banjo in the wet grass. 4x4 pulled it right out since 65% of the weight is in the front. But it looked like a Rototiller attacked the lawn.

Good times.
  12. nhan6929

nhan6929 n00b

Oddometer:
    Picked up a 2013 Non-Abs a year ago .. put in 5k miles on it .. No Regret :freaky

I'm 5'7 - 130lbs (feather weight).

Riding position is comfortable, power is enough for me to have fun on and off the pavement.

Added some mod for fun :evil

Two Brother Exhaust
    SW-Motech Skid plate
    Lower the bike 1"
    Crash Bar
    MT60 Corsa front and rear (wish i replaced the tires sonner)
    4PawsHacienda likes this.
  13. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    No complaint with mine.Bought it new this past March.I have 5000+ miles on it.The few little issues I have are nil.They're not complicated, nor expensive to upgrade/update.No bike is perfect, but for me buying a cheaper price point bike,it has impressed.I am an experienced rider,so I am not to easily impressed.

My issues are

1)Seat is to hard and slants forward. Fix, seat concepts kit.

2)The clutch was to far to reach. Fix,cheap Chinese adjustable full length levers.

3)Need a little more leg room and arm room. Fix,Moto Werk peg lowering brackets and bar risers.

4)Need more wind protection. Fix,to many options to decide.Watching ebay and forums for good used windshield.

Other than that,it's just farkling her up.I am so busy riding that I have ignored most of these things,except the levers,charging station,GPS,and coming soon luggage.Damn slow delivery companies.
  14. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  15. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    So I'm looking to downsize from a R1200GS and just came across this. I've yet to see one in person but I gotta say, I'm impressed. :deal I really like that it's 100# less than my GS with good torque numbers, but I suppose the proof will be in the pudding when I sit on it. Since I have both my DRZ and my GSA sidecar rig, I'm looking for something more road-worthy and lighter. Originally I'd thought to go down to a 250 but, honestly, this bike really floats my boat. (Plus that Rally Raid kit looks SLICK) :clap

I suppose if I don't ride it back to back with the 1200GS when/if I do a test ride, I shouldn't be too biased re: displacement. :lol3 Before I went up to 1200, I always told myself that I'd never go above 650 - didn't feel I needed to - so I'm looking to go lower (heh, both in displacement and seat height, would be nice to get both feet planted again).

Anyone else dropped from a bigger bike to this? Do you miss that extra power? :ear
    Sfcootz likes this.
  16. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    nice bike too bad they don't offer a suspension upgrade
  17. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:

What manufacturer does?

And at what price point?

Suspension is possibly the easiest thing to have improved on a bike like this.
  18. Dagny_Taggart

Oddometer:
    A lot of us have chosen to downsize to the CB500X. I have had a R1200GSA, K1200R Sport, ZX-9R, Ducati Hypermotard, FJR1300, and still have a Super Tenere. I just wanted a small commuter that was smaller, lighter, less complicated. The CB500X ticks all the boxes. Yes, you do use all the gears to work the engine effectively...no, your quarter mile times are not eye watering...yes, it can cruise at highway speeds all day long...and everything works. I have no regrets...my CB makes me smile.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
    Sfcootz likes this.
  19. Lima Tango

Lima Tango Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How's the fit of a CB500x for a bigger guy, say 6'2" and 240 lbs?

LT
  20. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Triumph does, in effect, going from the Tiger XR to the XC. Wire rims, WP suspension and more for only $1000. That's an awesome deal that would sell like gang busters on the CB500X. Of course, Triumph often does this with their "R" products. Every company should, at least on some models. The CB500X is a perfect one for that. It desperately needs an "XC" version.

Suspension is "easy", but expensive. It's like buying a $500 product, then having to replace it with a $1000 product because it was insufficient, when the $1000 product would cost $750 at most bundled into the bike.