Has anyone bought a CB500x and regretted it?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by vinsonrider, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Dagny_Taggart

Dagny_Taggart John Galt - 2020 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am 72" with a 34" inseam and I think it fits fine.

I like to go to http://cycle-ergo.com/ and compare the bike I'm looking at to the ones I currently ride. It gives you an idea of how you might fit.
  2. CJTaz

CJTaz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im 6' 3.5" and the X fits me with no mods.Have stock screen on low and no helmet noise. I added an airhawk small cruiser air cusion for a bit more height and comfort.
  3. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Dakar Addict!

Oddometer:
    I'm 6' 1" and 90kg (200 lbs) and my 500X fits me fine.

Mind you it does feel weird every time I swap from my 990 Adventure, like the ground suddenly got too close :D
  4. sonofaSven

sonofaSven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    6' 4" 225 lbs here. I love the fit. You must enjoy shifting to get the most out of the little engine. I think it's fun as hell as long as the engine is kept on boil. Really surprised at the performance considering the bike is so inexpensive and efficient. The max carrying capacity is around 400 lbs. So don't plan on being able to taking a larger passenger and luggage.
  5. rkevwill

rkevwill n00b

Oddometer:
    Don't have one yet, currently have a NineT and a Bonnie. Thinking of looking for a bike I can do some light ADV touring on. I can think of several bikes I might prefer, but I have to resign myself to the fact I just have too short an inseam for those bikes. Might even need to lower the cbx a touch to be completely comfortable. Plus, I don't know if I want to wrestle a big Truckster bike around at my advanced age. Don't like the paint job on the 2016 ABS model, but its good to know a good paint and body shop guy :)
  6. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    If you have a short inseam and are looking for a small, lightweight, flickable bike, you'll love the CB500X. This bike is almost universally loved on many forums, which is why I bought mine, with no test ride. Unfortunately, it just doesn't feel right to me. I'm 6'1", 200 lbs, and used to a much heavier, roomier bike (Yamaha S10). I thought it would be great to have a small, lightweight bike, but the CB500X just isn't right for me. As a result, my 2014 is for sale (Sorry if that's Spam).
  7. DariusX

DariusX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am nearly 6'3" and 200 lbs... the bike was okay for me initially; but as I rode more, I found myself constantly scooting up and back on the seat to get more room.

I went to lowering pegs which helped some but the seat slope still pushed me towards the tank.

Finally, I learned of the Seat Concepts tall seat which adds 1.75“ of height. I installed and man, it's HUGE difference... much better fit.

Everybody's body is unique so your experience, as evidenced by other tall guys who are happy with the stock set, my be different. uploadfromtaptalk1455509301929.jpg

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
  8. DariusX

DariusX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the upside-down pic... Not sure what happened

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
  9. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also 6'1" 200 lbs. and the SC tall/rally kit made the bike fit right for me too, and eliminated the seat step in the process...
    (and no regrets on buying the bike overall)

[​IMG]
    ross and Cruz like this.
  10. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I actually bought a 2016 G650GS. I had nothing but problems with it. Yes, the bike was being fixed but let's face it: a brand new bike should spend time on the road and not in the shop.

I am currently waiting for the 2016 CB500X to come out. I've sat on a 2015 and I find the ergos to fit me better than the beemer too. Same power, same weight, less headaches.
    Dao1 likes this.
  11. CoonDogFarmTruck

CoonDogFarmTruck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got the cb500x to learn to ride on. As a 6'5" 300# dude, I didn't exactly look like I fit the bike I'm sure, but I put 3500 miles on it in a few months and loved every minute of it. Even the OEM saddle was comfortable for me on rides lasting more than an hour.

My head is up in clear air, so buffeting wasn't an issue either.

I like to hop on and off the highway to get those fun moments of 75+ mph, and that was pushing it with my fat ass, plus dual Givi V35 side cases loaded, and my camping equipment strapped behind me. Even at that, I got 52 mpg.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
  12. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    Semi-local dealer has a new 2013 marked down to $4300. I'm doomed.
  13. CoonDogFarmTruck

CoonDogFarmTruck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Philly, I'll sell you my 2013 with givi monokey side rack, USB charger, and center stand with 5700 miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
  14. thumper-darryl

thumper-darryl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ABS on bikes is totally reliable,,unlike the crap we deal with on cars/trucks. You have to be pretty clumsy to damage a sensor when changing wheels. After having a couple of bikes with ABS I won't ride a bike on the road without it. On two separate occasions my wife was saved by the ABS on her F700 get it and never look back.
  15. antwon412

antwon412 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jeez. If that was near me in Northern California I'd be out the door right now buying it.
  16. thumper-darryl

thumper-darryl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have learned over the years that suspension mods are a given with any bike I have owned. A few KTMs and even though close, still needs work. My F800 suspension was junk. KTM 690s I have ridden and worked on also need help. So with years of experience on this, upgrading the CB500 to Rally raid is not a big deal.
    2 Dogs and kingrj like this.
  17. oldmopars

oldmopars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking to get a CB500X, but for it to do what I want to do, I will need the Rally Raid kit, so I am factoring that into the cost. Has any here put the RR kit on their bike? How is it with the kit? Anyone tried the RR kit 2up?
    I am looking to replace a KLR and a BMW, I am finding I like hitting the fire roads and back country stuff more than the long hauls on the hwy. I am looking for a more modern bike, the KLR is great, but mine is real old and it is time for an upgrade.
  18. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think i'm back on the train to get one of these. I'm tired of doing my 120 mile commute on my 990 and using it up.
  19. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 96 kms a day commute, paved or can gravel it the whole way. No regrets and perfect bike for me each day.
    Non commute, I'm enjoying it as a "fun" bike as well. 22,000 kms and counting. Great bike.

MFS
    anjin75 likes this.
  20. RobG.

RobG. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another happy owner here...a fun bike with great gas mileage. I did a 105 mile ride yesterday and stopped to fill the tank...had 214.0 miles on the trip odometer and filled up with 3.336 gals. Not bad, 64.1 mpg using regular unleaded fuel with 10% ethanol. It has a 4.5 gal. tank, so 250 miles are easy between fill ups.