Has anyone bought a CB500x and regretted it?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by vinsonrider, Apr 14, 2015.

1. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a BIG thread on the RR kit at http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/rally-raid-products-honda-cb500x.1012021/ and plenty of videos on Youtube...the ones from Juan B. would be especially helpful as he documents the installation and some long distance rides on all sorts of terrain.
    richnyc likes this.
  2. galejt

galejt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6'-1", 200#, just bought a 2015 ABS with 800 miles on it. Fits me fine, although I might work the peg lowering bit. Moved up from a KLR250. Step over is much easier, as is, of course, all the power and luxury....

UPDATE 20170330: 4100 miles on it. ALmost sold the bike until I tried the RR lvl 1 suspension package when it went on-sale in the UK. Huuuuge difference. I tell ya.
    Also, vibranators in the bars big improvement in the vibration at 5500rpm. At this mileage and with synthetic oil in, it is shifting as smoothly as it will get I gather. Not too bad. Settling in nicely. Pipe is getting a little louder from stock. Still likey plenty.
  3. sbeadg

sbeadg Found in Fogo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've owned a '16 X for a few weeks now, 375 miles so far so it's really too early for me to say we'll get along. I can tell you this: I've put 42k miles on my '11 650 Vstrom including a 1,100 mile trip last weekend, 3 trips to Newfoundland, Labrador, Gaspe, etc. and it's a relaxing long distance tourer and I'll be sorry to see 'er go.
    Despite being a seasoned rider, I'm still in great shape at 66, but, at 5' 8" 170 lbs. 30" inseam, I really appreciate the lower seat heat and cog of my new bike. The stock seat is as good as the Corbin on the Strom and the stock suspension and brakes, a little better than the upgraded suspension and brakes on the Strom. I like the exhaust sound better than the Strom. That's important to me. Sing to me, CB!
    Plus, 60 mph on secondary windy local roads is a little more exhilarating on the X. The only thing I'm currently working on is tweaking the windscreen so I don't hear howling in my Arai XD-4. May have to buy a madstad bracket for it.
    As entertaining as this thread is, truth be told, we're a lucky crowd to be able to travel through space on 2 wheels (whatever make or model....) and see this world from behind a pair of handlebars. Yeah.
    Bors, zoid, Bugchewer and 5 others like this.
  4. RobG.

RobG. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never regretted buying my 2015 500X...I put 5800 miles on it in 7 months as a second bike, but I traded it in 1 week ago for a new 2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS and couldn't be happier. I never ride off road at all and for the type of riding I do, I like having the power I get from the Bandit. I will miss the 64 mpg and 250 miles between fill ups I had on the Honda...it was a great bike, just a bit low on power.

I just couldn't justify (in my head) having a third bike.

I'm 63 years young, 5'6" 190 lbs.(yea, I need to lose 30 lbs.) with a 29" inseam and both the 500X and the Bandit fit me well.
    Bors and John2453 like this.
  5. Motosapian

Motosapian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been all over the place trying to decide on a new bike. 58 and in good shape, 6'/200 lbs. Been riding for 40 yrs. Last bikes were a 02 DL 1000 and an SV. Thinking hard about a 2014 nc700x. They are heavily discounted around here, about $6000 which leaves plenty of room for add ons.

I will be mostly cruising the back roads on it but may also do some week long trips. I like hauling a$$ on the gravel. The 700x seems like a better choice than the 500x for longer journeys. What do you all think?
  6. gjn201

gjn201 Wannabe Ranulph

Oddometer:
    Ha, I went exactly the reverse way. You'll be surprised how many miles the Bandit will do with a steady right hand.
  7. 2 Dogs

2 Dogs 2 Dogs Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here are my thoughts that I posted on the RR vendor thread

Just a quick observation from owning the RR CB since fall. I purchased the CB new and immediately installed the RR kit (350 miles on the odo), so I don't have much comparative analysis with the stock CB. I swap bikes often and would have anticipated being bored once the build was over and the dust settled, but..........here is an example of why I just can't see getting another bike for my riding style/needs- last Sat I was invited to go on a road ride with a couple of guys. One was on a Tuono and the other on a MultiStrada, both fast bikes in anyone's book. I live in North GA, so the roads are tight and twisty. Well, needless to say, I was able to keep pace and actually run away in a few instances on the little CB with a worn TKC front and Shinko 805 rear. I'm not that fast, but these guys aren't exactly slow (one is an MSF instructor and both do track days often). Once we arrived at our destination, I ran into some of my dual-sport friends and they invited me to try a new trail. It turned out to be a sketchy, overgrow goat path. Guess what, no problem on the CB. Low seat height and great gearing allowed me to pick my way through without incident, albeit slower than everyone riding dedicated dual-sports (350exc and WR250r's). A quick thanks to the guys for the guided tour and I cruised the easy gravel roads back to pavement and then slabbed it 40 miles home at 80mph. All of this in a 4 hour ride! I've owned no less than 15 bikes in the last 5 years and none could have covered all of this terrain as well as the CB. Funny side note- at every stop with my road riding buddies, folks would gather around the little CB to ask questions, ignoring their $15K Italian beauties. So if you happen to be a little vain, the CB will fill that void as well :lol3. I'm in the fortunate position to buy any bike I want. What is sitting in my garage?....... CB500X RR!

A great guy stopped by my house last weekend to see the bike in person because he is considering the kit for himself. He asked what I wanted for the bike. I explained that it wasn't really for sale, but that he could buy it "if the price was right". His next question was, "what would you buy if you sold it?". My answer, "I'd buy the same bike and do the build all over again".

Thanks to all who are involved in this project for creating an amazing little bike! :clap
    OneAUout, Bors, kingrj and 5 others like this.
  8. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:

I have never ridden either bike.

Go with the CB.
    The value will keep longer
    You have the option for the RR kit
    She is more sporty
    Maybe the 745cc will get here in 2017.

The NC is a better commuter and better long range touring vic (if you get the rear cargo hold figured out, which is easy).
  9. Motosapian

Motosapian Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG][/URL][/IMG] 08-08-069.jpg
  10. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are a number of threads on this, and it largely comes down to personal opinion (Imagine that...). I have both bikes and would gladly take either for the tasks you mention. The 5 is lighter, more nimble, and playful, while the 7 is more refined, has more torque, and has the frunk. Both are great bikes, w/about equal fuel economy, though the 5 has greater fuel range. If you can't decide, go w/the 5. It's cheaper.
  11. PortlandTwoWheels

PortlandTwoWheels I'm a noob.

Oddometer:
    I have had mine since June 2014 (2014 abs model) and have over 15,000 miles on it. It was also my first bike. Put on most of the miles the first year and a half. Put lots of goodies on it so far: heated grips, alarm, engine guard from puig with led lights, handguards, windscreen, leo vince exhaust, air filter, flashing rear brake light). The air filter and exhaust gave me a bit more throttle response and a tad more "oomph." Keeping the decibel killer on the exhaust kept more backpressure, too. Since I am biased and it was my first bike, I think it's an excellent choice! Especially for brand new riders. I thought maybe upgrading to something else but I'd rather not take on the expenses of a new bike, just keep this one and maybe upgrade the suspension instead. Love this bike! Especially for commuting.
  12. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Suspension upgrade should be the first thing you spend money on with these bikes, the difference will make you smile more than any other bits you buy for her.
  13. bard

bard Funrider

Oddometer:
    Old thread but

I tested this bike for 3000+ km on West Coast Norwegian mountain roads, which are very twisted, massive altitude differences and in other words motorcycle heaven.
    I am known for being a fast rider so please take that into your consideration from what my subjective meaning is about this bike.

Here it is marketed as a beginner bike, or easy handling cheap to run for other riders. And this is exactly what this bike is, if I had an A2 lisence I would get it in a heartbeat. Actually I would say to any A2 license holders, get this bike it is awesome for being limited by A2 class.

For me with unlimited license it's got too little power, I see others state it's a weapon in the twisties well for A2 it is but when you ride other real weapons in twisted hilly roads you know the little Honda lacks power. So if you are a fast rider look other places, but if you are A2, want to have an economic ride and are happy in a reasonable speed look no further.
  14. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Or happy to have a lot of fun and keep your licence?
    Phipsd likes this.
  15. kingrj

kingrj Been here awhile

Oddometer:

What he said for sure! Stock suspenders worst I have ever, ever, ever ridden in my life..Suspension upgrade makes the bike..
  16. sbeadg

Oddometer:
    LOL!
    Either 1. You're about 300 lbs.
    2. your shock is way off for sag,
    3. you've never had the opportunity to ride a bike with REALLY bad suspension.
    Seriously, of the 5 bikes I've owned (BMW K100LT, F650GS, 650Vstrom, Suzuki G850L, R75/5) the CB's suspension is THE best out of the box, for me.

I decided to post on this thread - not to bitch about the bike's suspension, which I consider awesome (and I don't use that word lightly) but to say, sometimes I wish it had a bit more grunt.

I row right through gears 1,2 and 3 before I'm interested in bringing it up to 60 mph. As an all rounder I find the bike a little light on power on pavement. No, I'm not unhappy with the bike. I'm planning a cross country ride on 'er this summer. I've got 'er set up with Shad luggage, Pivot Pegz, Barkbusters and Tutoro chain oiler. I also put on a TKC80 front and Mitas E-07 Rear so looking forward to even more confidence on gravel. If I thought I needed it, I'd do a Rally Raid Level 1 upgrade, and maybe when I've got 30 K miles on 'er, I'll do that. Right now though, the seat and suspension are just a joy - without spending for aftermarket. I put nearly a grand on those upgrades for my Vstrom and the bike still wasn't as comfy as my X.
  17. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm at an age that comfy trumps power ever time :jkam
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  18. kingrj

kingrj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I have owned and ridden:
    Harley Sportster
    Harley Road King
    BMW K1200LTC
    Yamaha FZ1
    Honda VFR 800
    Kawasaki Z1000
    Suzuki DL 650
    KTM 950 Adventure
    KTM 690 Enduro
    2 each Suzuki SV650
    Honda CBR 600 RR
    Honda RC 51
    Kawasaki ZX 10
    Kawasaki KLR 650
    Husky 610 SM
    Honda ST1300
    Yamaha R6
    Kawasaki ZX6R
    Suzuki DRZ 400
    Ducati 999
    MZ Bagira
    Kawasaki ZZR 1200

So you may be right about my not having ridden a really bad suspension before..And it may just be that I am getting old but I was shocked when I bought my CB500X just how bad the action of the damping rod forks and rear shock were. The fix was simple..Ohlins shock and RaceTech emmulators in the forks...Transformed the bike..and I now have one of the most all-round fun motorcycles I have ever owned! Yeah it is not a powerhouse but it is comfortable, good wind protection, smooth, feels like a super moto on a twisty mountain road and is cheap to own and to operate...Not knocking the bike at all...Best $5000 new motorcycle I ever had!
    Phipsd and Cruz like this.
  19. sbeadg

Oddometer:
    I bow before thee, kingrj (couldn't find the sticky of the bowing man...) You have a much larger sampling of motorcycles from which to compare suspensions.

I'm just glad I don't feel the need for such a "simple" (ka-ching!) "fix"! I guess I'm just too damn cheap: I'd have to think twice about buying a bike, knowing I'd have to spend another 20% of the sale price on upgrades to fix what I felt were deficiencies. Hell, the only reason I bought a new bike is there weren't any ABS models on the used market. I love finding what I want languishing in someone's garage who has lost interest or moved on......
    kingrj likes this.
  20. titan232

titan232 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a CB as a second bike and will be doing a 4000mile trip this summer. A big factor in buying it was that the overall feedback from owners on various forums was generally good and having a decent tank range was important. However some comments about the suspension and the Dunlop tyres were far from complementary. I had a short 30 mile test ride on a demonstrator in the rain and thought the bike was OK so bought the 16 low mileage model that dealer was selling. I picked the bike up the following week and rode 70 miles home again in the rain again no drama with plenty of wet bends. Since then I have done another 300 miles mostly on rural roads, not many straights around here and I don't understand the negative comments about either the suspension or tyres. The suspension is perfectly adequate for the CB performance and price it gets a bit unsettled cranked over through poorly surfaced bends but that is to be expected. I was considering the RR level 2 kit but I think I will hold fire for a bit. I really like this bike and the fuel consumption is almost unbelievable.
    Phipsd and The_Precious_Juice like this.