Has anyone bought a CB500x and regretted it?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by vinsonrider, Apr 14, 2015.

1. bard

bard Funrider

Oddometer:
    You can easily loose your license with a 125cc so the 500 won't help you there if you want the bike to be in control of the speed. To ride fast is not the same as breaking the limit. Here on very twisty narrow mountain roads with drops in 100's of feet with no fencing makes it very hard to hold the limit, you are normally below. As soon as you get through the curve you need power to lift you and the bike upwards in the mountain road. It's awesome because you can have a lot of fun within the law with knee down in the curves and so forth its fun. But it requires power to get the right rollercoaster feeling, a fenomenal bike is the tracer 900 for example.
  2. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    I have not regretted my '14 X (bought year end 2014). But its time to move on. Stock, the geometry is very nimble and I feel like I can do anything. With the RR L3 kit I have on mine, it loses its wonderful nimbleness (like mid curve line changes or fast side to side maneuvers), but has wonderful stability. It holds true always. Dirt is stable.
    It goes fast through any set of twisties. But I ride with bigger bikes, on long regional rides. I can be tapped out in 3rd, 4th & 5th much of the time (forget 6th in the mtns), hustling my ass off to hang (which I mostly do). But that gets tiring. I need more torque & more hp. But the 500X IS a whale of a good time. I have kicked ass in tight (1st, 2nd & 3rd gear) twisties.
  3. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:

That would be about as close to what I would type, if I was on your pegs.

Wind shields
    Seats
    SUSPENSION. The DR650's is known to be terriable, unless you are a mellow rider. I'm OK with it.

The above mentioned are mostly subjective. And easily corrected.

I'm glad you like the bike.

What is your mass?
  4. bbrz

bbrz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2cents, 61-5'6 155lb. Had YZF's , S2R800, RD , RZ. Ride the roads in Eastern Indiana along the Wabash on all of them. Maybe a 50-75' jump, so the factory suspension is really OK, and the power of the X can drag me up those inclines just fine. I did 6200 mi. before installing the RR1 kit, and am too short for the RR2, or I would have gone that way. The RR1 does make a big change for $$'s, but the crap fork oil that I drained out was WTF! My advice is (since this is a new to you bike is to change out the fork oil to a known good brand, and do the 4000 mi. trip before spending the cash for an upgrade. At my height the windscreen is best at low. The upper puts the wind in my face. The seat, on the other hand, I do not understand complaints about it? The best improvement for me were my under garments . Take it out on the road and ride to decide! You will love this little Honda, But more so with a kit from Rally Raid!
  5. bbrz

bbrz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also, if you are used to a more agressive stance, roll the bars forward in line with the fork tube angle. That will bring your head forward, and put your elbows out more. Keep in mind I am a shorty guy (as said above). Also lowered my shifter linkage about 2mm to get a more positive gear feed from my short toe box of the boots that I have.
  6. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    My experience with the 500x has certainly been mixed.

The dealer that I had bought it from used it as a demo bike for accessories available on the 500x. They never rode it but took it to shows. It had the factory light bar, center stand, Yosh exhaust, Bark Busters (which didn't fit) and Kenda Big Blocks on it. I figured I would put most of those accessories on it anyway so went ahead with the purchase.
    20150926_131158.jpg
    I put about 70 miles on it before loading it in my cargo trailer and heading down to California on vacation. When I got there I thought I had made a huge mistake. Spooky, bordering on dangerous handling on the freeway rain grooves that SoCal has, not nearly enough power to keep up with my friend on her FZ07, very frequent false neutrals and notchy shifting. Horrible brakes, so bad that I was overshooting my desired stopping area by dozens of feet. And after riding my friends FZ07 I was doubly sure I had made a horrible decision. I would have traded it off with less than 200 miles on it down in CA if I would have brought the title with me, I was that disappointed in it.

But since I hadn't brought the title with me, I tried to make the best of a bad situation and salvage my riding vacation. Off came the Kenda Big Blocks and on went a set of Shinko 705's. WHOA! Ok now here was the stability on rain grooves that I was looking for. No longer butt clenchingly scary. The braking dramatically improved as well, I no longer was overshooting my stopping area. Massive improvement!

Did a couple of longish rides and got to 600 miles for the first oil change. Ok, shifting got a little bit better. Not drastic but noticeable.

I still wasn't able to keep up with the FZ but when I was doing solo rides I felt ok with the power. Riding your own pace changes your perception.

It was enough of a change to get me through the rest of the trip and back home again.

Back home (WA State) and the bike is in it's element. Gravel road performance is fantastic even with the stock suspension. Transmission woes went away by 1500 miles, and while it's still a bit notchy, I can certainly live with it. And power wise it's fine where the speed limits are enforced (unlike CA where you can do 20 over easy)

This bike has certainly had the biggest swing from hate to like as any bike I have ever had. I didn't think it was possible but I think I might keep this one.
    20170319_173006.jpg
    Bors, docjekyll2002, Phipsd and 3 others like this.
  7. MNimum

MNimum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your perspective. Love your perspective on the Big Block vs the 705s!
    Jimmy the Heater likes this.
  8. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    For me the Big Blocks were great on soft dirt, mild mud and gravel....horrible everywhere else. I can't imagine them being used as a 50/50 tire.
    docjekyll2002 likes this.
  9. Comrade-Pavel

Comrade-Pavel n00b

Oddometer:
    In my experience CB500X is a pretty solid motorcycle. I have taken it off-roaring a few times on stock tires and suspension. It performed very well, all you have to do is slow down a little bit.
    The power is acceptable. The bike handles freeways just fine.
    My only issue with the bike is it's too small in size, if I was a few inches shorter and had a shorter inseam it would be perfect. I'm 6ft2 210lbs 29yrs old. The stock windshield sux, no matter the height I set it at I get horrible buffeting. From what a lot of the forums say, it's hard to find a good aftermarket windshield.
    When off-road I have to hunch over too much when I stand up on foot-pegs. Bar risers would probably help, but then I would have to change the cables.
    Oh the location of the exhaust isn't very good. When I ride standing up my heel is on the exhaust heat shield.
    When I purchased it my options were that or klr and cb500x is a much smoother machine.

Well that is my 2 cents about the bike (2014 cb500x non-abs).
  10. sh1bby69

sh1bby69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the only regret I have with my bike is that I wish I bought it used. That way the difference I could put towards the RR Kit. Overall, this bike has taken me through everything I've wanted it to go through especially with dual sport tires. Yes, you may not be blazing through the trails but you can do it at a pretty easy pace. Only time I feel like the power was lacking was on the way through Palm Spring, CA during the incline, I hit some head wind so I maxed out at 74mph. Otherwise besides that, I can over take a vehicle no problem. If it helps anyone I'm 5'6" inseam 30" about 170.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  11. Dvrguy

Dvrguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I didn't buy it and regret it but I did almost buy one. I have been riding for 43 years. I was sure I wanted the CB500X from my online searches. I went to the local dealer and test rode one and here is what I observed. I am 5'8" and 30" inseam. The first thing I noticed immediately was the peg position is way back. Tucked up like a sport bike. It looks like the same position as the sport bike model. My knee started hurting after 2 miles. The wind buffeting was pretty bad. The bike felt a little twitchy. The bike seemed to be a little top heavy. I just sold my Victory Gunner so maybe it was the transition. The bike felt cramped in the cockpit area. I was glad to return the bike after 4 miles. I started looking at foot peg relocation kits and new windscreens to see what could be done to fix the 2 biggest issues.

I stumbled across the Kawasaki Versys x 300 and took it for ride. Wow it was night and day. The bike felt great. The pegs were underneath me in a comfortable position. The wind protection is very good. The bike felt roomy. The windshield is farther away and gives it a roomy feel. Maybe the bike just fits better but it tracks well and weight seems to be low enough to maneuver well. I really didn't notice a power difference between 300 to 500 cc.

Test ride the bike you are thinking of buying and not just around the block.

Just my evaluation after a short ride.
  12. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the post! And welcome to ADVRIDER!

I was going to suggest the X300, and you beat me too it.

The 471cc engine is ideal, but the supporting cast on the CBX is lacking. The initial price in 2013 was very impressive. Maybe less than $6,000!

So either do heavy mods, or live with a sporty engine with weak service intervals on the Versys.
    I vote for the 300 even though I'd have to learn to like the engine personality. I like bikes to have more torque than horsepower. The 300 is totally different.
    Soft Roadie bikes under 400lbs are hard to come by!
  13. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Your second last sentence is quite illuminating after what you just wrote.
    netteb16 and Cigar like this.
  14. motoqueen

motoqueen One Life. Live It.

Oddometer:
    I bought the CB500x for commuting and riding local roads. It's also the bike I put in the toyhauler when I travel for business. IMHO, the CB500x doesn't rate 9 or 10 in any category, but is a solid 6 or 7 in all. Love the fun factor on local paved and dirt roads. But not on the slab at 75 or 80mph. This bike (for me)was is a nice compromise between my previously owned Tiger 800x and Suzuki DRZ400. If at his this time I only could have one bike, this wouldn't be it.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  15. chalaco

chalaco n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a little late on this, but I'm also considering the CB500X. I had a XL350 back in the 70's and I loved it. I get the same sort of vibe from the 500 and have not seen much negatives on the bike.
  16. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    The suspension and OE Scorpion tires is the only downfall of the CB-X. It's soft and ok for light riders. Once you add luggage, start pushing 200lbs, or a passenger, it really shows it's suspension woes. I blew the rear shock in under 10,000 miles.
  17. chalaco

chalaco n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good points to consider, I am north of 200 lbs, so good excuse to diet. I found the KLR and the XR too uncomfortable for longer highway trips. The DRZ is too much MX and I'm looking for a 50/50 bike. So the CBX with better tires might be the one.
  18. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run Shinko 705 dual sport tires. I have PVC spring spacers in the forks. The front is still a little to soft. I have a '99 CBr600 F4 shock that is dialed all the way back. It's still a little stiff for really rough logging roads but is ok for road use as long as I have my luggage.
  19. Bradmeister

Bradmeister Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I own 2 of these bikes, for the money and utility: Fabulous. However, Honda was very stingey about letting the dealers have all the OEM accessories that could be on this bike, and many had to be ordered from Japan Direct. Not Happy about that, Honda.

The suspesnion is undesirable, but new springs, a shock, and a new front gear, really smoothed out the power and the ride.

What I did absolutely regret, and I mean really regret, was I missed (and most of you did too) the Front Sprocket is hidden under a big Black Front Plastic cover, that Hides something extremly Proprietary (this just pisses me off with all Honda Products) : You cannot Replace the Countershaft Sprocket Seal from the outside of the Engine!!!!!

Thats Right BOYS AND GIRLS, should you get something stuck up in the chain, and it finds its way to the backside of the Front Sproket..... Its an Engine pull, and a disassembly of the Transmission Case to change the front Sprocket Engine Seal!!!!!

Buyer Beware!
  20. iceburg7

iceburg7 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I regret selling my CB500X with rally raid kit . IT was a good all around bike. Decent offroad and not bad on hwy.
    Night_Wolf likes this.