Has anyone bought a CB500x and regretted it?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by vinsonrider, Apr 14, 2015.

1. dmski

dmski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I have been bitten by the CB500X bug. It has been great to read everything here about these little bikes. I'm a 6ft 170lb rider that currently owns a DRZ400 and have previously had a ninja, and a handful of SV650's and dirt bikes. I'm looking for a bike that is a do it all bike (wife only wants to see one bike in the garage) that is light and fun offroad but also great for chewing up highway miles to get to remote places and moto camp. Two up is a requirement for shorter rides only, so long highway runs with my wife aren't likely to happen.

I've been eyeing a CB500X with the full Level 3 Rally Raid setup as I think its light enough to be enjoyable offroad in tighter spots compared to a BMW F800GS, but can still cruise comfortably on the highway and to work compared to my DRZ which gets buzzy at speed... I think the bike looks great and would love to test ride one before making any further decisions, but a few questions: will I fit the bike alright and not be too cramped for long rides and be comfortable standing offroad? Does anyone have experience between a DRZ/DR or BMW to this CB500X in rally raid form and can speak to its onroad/offroad capability?
  2. iceburg7

iceburg7 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had a DR, F800GS, and CB500X RR3. The CB500X was better offroad than the Bmw f800gs. I would place it say closer to a DR in offroad handling. Has nice low end torque and low center of gravity. I've taken it places where I wouldn't have dared take the f800gs. I sold mine when I bought a tiger 800xcx , I regret that decision.n Love the tiger but miss the cb500x for the more gnarly trails and roads. The CB isn't bad on hwy but I wouldn't want to long distances on interstates.
    gehart and dmski like this.
  3. ScorpionT16

ScorpionT16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm the same height and weight as you. Have a 2016 CB500X and adding lowered pegs+bar risers was a first thing and big improvement, a seat concepts tall seat would be better. If you can get a RR3 kit already done, used and for a good deal is worth it.

For me, I just placed a T7 deposit and will be switching. The cost of the rally raid kit is high and not completely worth it imo, and for off-raod the bike still has a low ground clearance, add that you can't even use a center stand with the kit, add folding brake/clutch levers etc... and after all that it weighs similar to the T7 minus its power, clearance and off road details. I do find it cramped still, from the seat space, peg distance, ergos, could just be me as there's plenty of taller people happy with it. I would get a 2019 CBX over a RR kit personally. New one comes with a 19" wheel, and re-sale will be better.
    Xchemie and dmski like this.
  4. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After 5 years & 40K miles with my S10, last year I noticed how well my friends CB500X RR3 did on our motocamping trips. He went everywhere I did on the S10, easier off the pavement for sure. After our 3rd trip together I mentioned "If you Are Ever Wanting To Sell". Boy, that Tractive suspension is so nice. The T7 is strongly in my sights, but the RR3 has spoiled me a bit. Not sure std Jap-suspension will ever be good enough any more, would be thinking of Rally Raids upgrades for the T7, even before purchase. Hope they have a full kit available sometimes. Boy the 790 Adv is Ugly! Would take me a while to convince myself that "form follows function".

YMMV
    Mike B
    Downey, CA
  5. B-Nads

B-Nads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be following Scorpion's footsteps on this one. I bought one as my first road bike - I have a dirt-bike / off-road background, and only recently did my road permit. I bought the CB500X based on its price, reliability, fuel consumption, and slight off-road worthiness. I also wanted a bike that would forgive some of the beginner mistakes I will and have made. I have learned that the bike is plenty fast to lose you your license and your life if you don't respect it, and it has certainly lived up to the first three criteria. On the latter, not so much - you have to accept that it is what it is. I'd rather buy the T7 and have better ergos and power for my 6'3, 215 lb frame plus gear than put an extra $3000 into an upgrade that leaves me with the same motor that doesn't bring a smile to my face. I'll happily run and learn from the CB500X for the next season or two, but it remains a starter bike for me with a finite shelf-life.
  6. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a CB500x with a Rally Raid level 3 kit on it
    I have replaced it with a T7
    The T7 suspension is in a different class to the Rally Raid equipped Honda
    The forks on the Honda are the weak point combined with lack of travel
    You need to ride a T7 then you will realize just how much better it is than the Honda
    I for one don't regret buying the Honda .... But it has been made obsolete by the T7 over night
    The T7's fun factor is on another planet compared to the under powered Honda on and off road
    Xchemie and Motorazr like this.
  7. dmski

dmski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All good notes guys. I appreciate the honest feedback. Sounds like the T7 seems to be a fan favorite around here which is great to see. I always liked this bike since I saw it at launch. I always like the idea of modifying a bike to be better than its competitors in the same class, but alas maybe that isn't the smartest way to go in some situations. I think if I ever found a used CB500x RR i would absolutely buy it, but knowing full well there are others that would out perform it.
  8. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want more power than the CB500, then obviously you would buy a bigger engined bike. Also if you're more interested in going off road, then you would want the better suspension, spoked and tubed wheels with a 21" front that the T7 has.
    The CB500X is what it is, for my uses its great. I've no regrets in buying it whatsoever. Anyone who regrets buying one, bought the wrong bike in the first place.
  9. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you Captain Obvious :D
    Motorazr likes this.
  10. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Ever dropped into the "anyone regret buying a WR250R" thread in Thumpers? Total shit-show.

We should do the same with this thread :hide
  11. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody ever done any of the BDR’s on a 500X? I’m talking about with stock suspension, easy routes on the BDR and not carrying 70 lbs of junk on the back. I have read about JMo and piglets fully RR modified trip, but I’m looking for a more stock experience report. TIA.
  12. Edoz

Edoz n00b sauce

Oddometer:
    That surprises me, it seems like the F800 would be the better off-road bike. I've had my CB500X for about a year and I'm considering its replacement. I'd love to do the RR kit, but that $3k is a great down payment on something else, like an F800GS or 800 Tiger XC. On paper, it seems like both of those would outclass the 500X off-road. What am I missing?
  13. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    Weight is the big difference. Those 800s push past the 500lb mark pretty easy with accessories and the center of mass is higher. I have spent some time on the XCX and it is a better road bike.

Greg
  14. Newstrom48

Newstrom48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did north half of Idaho BDR on my CB500x. The real problem for me, was I didn't have enough clearance in some spots so hung up on engine guard. 2" more of clearance would have been great. Better rider could probably have avoided this.
    No problem for traction, handling, etc. Bike was excellent for this type due to smooth throttle and enough torque from low rpm.
    People on the trail were surprised to see the CB out on the trail. I had my givi V35's on back which kept weight low and held everything I needed.
  15. NOrrTH

NOrrTH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently completed my quest for the perfect adventure/dual sport bike - for me. It boiled down to the DR650, Yammy T7, 790 Adv R and the CB500X Rally Raid. I currently have a deposit on the KTM which I will be asking for back because I just picked up a '16 CB500X RR. The reasons for my decisions were as follows, keeping in mind I have a 30" inseam and have to be able to get both my toes down at least.

My first choice was the T7 until I saw and sat on it in person and my heart sank. It's a very large bike and no light weight. I knew I wouldn't be able to get both feet down but threw a leg over it anyway to see how bad it was. So ya, not a hope in hell without lowering it/seat work etc. Out the door price for me in Canada was just over $16k. So...

My second choice was the KTM. Why would I buy the T7 when for about $2,500 more I can get the incredible KTM which does everything better, low CoG, premium suspension, slipper clutch, traction control, quick shifter, cruise control, tubeless tires, etc etc. Until I saw it in person...well I haven't because it aint here yet. So the past few weeks I've been doing more research, soul searching and second guessing my decision. Do I really want to spend $18k on a bike that they won't let me take it for a test ride? What if I don't end up doing as much dirt as I think I will? What if there's something about it that I just can't stand and have made a mistake like the DRZ400 I bought that couldn't do freeway speeds?

So i started looking at the DR650. I found a used modded one with 24k kms (adv tank, bark busters, pegs, etc) for $5,300. I thought this should do fine and I can at least until I see what sort of riding I'm going to actually be doing and won't be making a $20k mistake (cause I know I'll farkle the KTM). Then I start being more honest with myself about how much street riding I'll actually be doing and know I'm not going to be really happy with it on the road as I like my comfort and conveniences, like a fuel gage. Anyway for less than $6k I'll give it a shot anyway, until....

On Saturday I walked into my local Honda dealer to sit on Africa Twins, CRF450 and whatever else and spied a bike I'd never seen or heard of before, the bike I know own, the Rally Raid CB500X. I got it out the door with a two year warranty for just under $10k. It only has 12k kms on it and has all the Rally Raid stuff (leavers, pegs, Stage 3, etc). I can dab both my toes down and there's lots of meat on the seat for shaving. The suspension is everything I imagined it would be and that the DR would need. I've been riding every day/night, even in the rain and can't tell you how excited and comfortable I am with my decision.

TLDR:

Find a used CB500X Rally Raid - you won't be sorry.
  16. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many think a proper CB650X "Rally Raid" spec would simply rock?

Honda is so close to building what many want but they don't seem to get it.
    NOrrTH likes this.
  17. hawkgt

hawkgt Daydreaming

Oddometer:
    I think Honda stays with the 500 because it meets the Euro A2 license, North America is not the #1 target market.
    Night_Wolf and Cruz like this.
  18. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2019 CB500X identifies as an Africa Twin. Racer
    playinatwork and Night_Wolf like this.
  19. Edoz

Edoz n00b sauce

Oddometer:
    You're probably right but they could do a 650 for the US market and software limit it to A2 for the Euro market. Then our Euro bros could get it updated/derestricted when they get their big license and have a bitchin CB650X.
    They wouldn't be the first to do that.
  20. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    The 500 is already at my personal weight limit of what a light adventure bike can be. An increase to 650 would come with other increases and now we are in vstrom territory. Just get a T7 and be done with it, If you need more than the 500. I have a bigger bike sitting next to my 500 so I dont need it to grow at all.

Greg
    B-Nads, Cruz, hawkgt and 2 others like this.