1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone bought a CB500x and regretted it?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by vinsonrider, Apr 14, 2015.

1. B-Nads

B-Nads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've ordered a CS tall seat for mine, which will hopefully make the ergos more comfortable for the time I keep it. It'll be interesting to see what route Honda goes for the rumored mid-size AT, but I agree that if Honda would simply make a "RR" inspired CB650X with spokes and better suspension and ride, and offer it below the T7 price range, they'd have trouble building them fast enough.
  2. ScorpionT16

ScorpionT16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How was the T7 coming at over $16k? I just ordered one and OTD, taxes in and all it's under $14.2k. I own a CB500X now, and getting the T7 for its height, at 6ft tall the CBX is just too cramped for me. The T7 is just 22lbs (CBX stock is 430lbs and T7 452lbs) more than the CBX in stock form, the RR kit one weighs more with the spoke wheels, skid plate, etc... so that's no light weight either.
  3. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    So how about an update: My wife has had her 14 X (bought in the spring of 15 new) for working on 5 riding seasons. She has tacked on about 52,000 miles , and I have done the following to it: Tires , 1 set of C/S , a couple air filters , 2 headlight bulbs (Honda , what's up with that?) , & oil changes. That's it. I love it , she loves it. We made the following small changes to the bike for her (Tall for a girl 5'8") , taller Givi shield , and a 20mm handle riser. Also added crash bars , service stand , and luggage racks and bags.

Do we regret ownership , NO!
    TeamGS, Cruz and William42 like this.
  4. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    87487CC9-ADC8-4821-9956-CC5C8CB333CC.jpeg
    Cruz, Bors, pm9654 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Med.Jeeves

Med.Jeeves Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got lucky and found a 2017 CB500X left over with only 1 mile on the clock. This is my first ever street legal bike, and I don't think I could be happier for what I bought it for and what I spent on it. All in, bike and RR3 kit, I'm somewhere around $8K, and its better/more nimble off road than my buddies F800GS, and way better on-road than any thumper I've owned, and gets a solid 60mpg (US) no matter how hard I beat on the throttle. With that said, if you prefer super smooth, flowy, fast off-road sections, the RR3 doesn't have the suspension travel for that, compared to the F-GSs, off-road focused Tigers, or I'd imagine an AT or T7. It's a pure numbers game, and I've found the bottom of the fork and shock a few times. I've followed a DRZ every it could go, but he was definitely waiting for me a few times.

For a two-up long distance adventure touring bike, I'm looking to pick up something used in the next few months. Doing two-up locally isn't bad, but it would quickly get cramped with gear and 600+ miles on the super slab or back roads. But I recognized that as a limitation of a mid-size 500cc bike when I purchased it, and hesitate to list it as a fault.

-jeeves
    Bors, Night_Wolf and dmski like this.
  6. AdamDaze

AdamDaze 2015 Tiger 800 XCX

Oddometer:
    The frunk and god-tier MPG had me considering a Honda as and ADV bike. Taking either the 500 or 700, can't recall which had the frunk now, and doing it up.

But by all reports they are classic hondas. Reliable. Dependable. Comfortable. Great mileage. Boring as batshit. And not enough suspension travel for proper ADV. That and majority 2-up adventures for me ruled them out.

If I was going around the world though, it'd be right up there next to the DR's et al.
  7. danceswithcages

danceswithcages Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope. No regrets at all. 0805201204.jpg
    mtwillyman, DandyDoug, B-Nads and 4 others like this.
  8. steelerd

steelerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ace thread I'm just in the process of selling my 250c to get a Cb500x 19-20 really looking forward to it especially after reading the thread for my up and coming on an off road trip to Iceland an Norway from the UK. My Previous bike was the f800gs an before that a r1200gsa te 2014 which was the most unreliable bike I've ever owned. For reference I've had everything from Nortons to rd350lcs an Fireblades etc.

Look forward to reporting my own thoughts once I get one
  9. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To answer the question asked.....No 5A65347F-EFCE-4059-8461-0148C1CAA75B.jpeg
    Cruz, DandyDoug, Bors and 1 other person like this.
  10. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is your side stand an OEM or is it an adjustable ?
    If it's adjustable , where did you get it. ?
  11. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is a repaired OEM I will get a new RR next time I order parts
  12. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks , I'll try looking at their's .

I did a bit of research this morning , trying to understand why the adjustable side stand the dealer installed leans the bike over so far. It's a real big omph to get the bike upright ready to ride.
    Looking at the PSR website the stand my dealer installed only works for up to the 2018 model. When I took the spring off the stand is way loose at the mounting point and it is adjusted out as far as it goes.
    I put the OEM stand back on, the bike stands up a little further than I like because it's lowered 2.25" .I'll have the dealer raise the bike up 3/4 of an inch and it should be ok then if I stretch my short legs out as far as they will go.

If anyone wants the PSR side stand I'll be happy to sell it.
    Fits model years up to 2018 , retails for $139.99 , I'll take $100.00 shipped from 27023