Has anyone done a ride/ kayak day with a travel kayak?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by theshnizzle, May 12, 2020.

1. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of a folding oru kayak or a advanced elements inflatable kayak. Thought it might be fun to strap a portable kayak on the bike for a day ride with some kayaking thrown in when I see a nice spot to paddle for a hour or 2.

Anybody done this or has considered the possibility?
    soberjoe and davidji like this.
  2. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do have an inflatable kayak and I did think about it..
  3. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Seems like a lot of hassle with my inflatable paddleboard, but you've got me wondering about it: will board in backpack & paddle fit across the the back seat? Also wondering about powering my board inflator with my bike. My car powers it just fine, but I'd want to check things before depending on a bike to do it.

Not sure how hard a kayak is to inflate, but the board is harder than e.g. the inflatable raft I had in the past and I wouldn't want to do it manually.

Anyone taken an inflatable paddleboard on the bike?
  4. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    When packed up an Oru is still a pretty big package then you’ve got your pfd, paddle and spray skirt.
  5. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    No spray skirt. Paddle breaks down to 4 pieces and pfd in side case.
  6. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you think you'll be comfortable paddling wearing what you're comfortable wearing riding? I find they call for significantly different clothes and footwear.

I've thought about it, and I have a sidecar which would help with the logistics, but I've never moved forward with it. It just doesn't seem like its worth the effort for the return combining the 2.
  7. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm confused, do you mean that I would be paddling in my riding outfit? I would assume I would stuff my riding gear in my panniers and paddle wearing regular clothes?

I would sink to the bottom wearing my riding gear in the kayak. And I would look just plain weird!
  8. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    My playboat rides pilon sideways across the seat and paniers . My paddle gear goes in the paniers and I wear my kayak helmet on the bike. (not dOT but we don't have a helmet enforcement here).The boat is 5'10" so sticks out a bit but I don't travel far with it. Just local park and play stuff in the summer. I don't paddle in my riding gear
  9. Pave2

Pave2 n00b

Oddometer:
    I cannot say anything about folding kayaks but I do think that inflatable kayak should work well.
    I have made several day trips with inflatable SUP and one multiday trip (2000KM) with SUP and camping gear.
    I use electric pump to inflate the sup.
    Inflation takes about 12 minutes , when the pump hits the second phase I do usually start my motorcycle for couple of minutes just to make sure I do not end up with a flat battery but sometimes I have forgotten to start the bike and I did not end up flat battery.

Attached Files:

10. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool. I don’t see why it can’t be done using the proper kit. I wouldn’t have room for it during a multi day cause no room for top box and it would have to come off every time I needed to get into the panniers but for a day ride, why not?
  11. Pave2

Pave2 n00b

Oddometer:
    I think folding kayak might be tricky to attach to bike, kayak might break.
    My recommendation is to choose lightweight and not too big kayak.
    Could be also possible to make top box with custom dimensions for foldable kayak.
    Last winter I had a project of custom top box but after making just the right size cardboard template to see what it actually looks like on bike I immediatelly rejected that option, it looked way too big.

That photo is from my previous set up with side open panniers , I now have top open aluminium panniers and the SUP bag does not prevent access to panniers.
  12. curtis6870

curtis6870 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope.
    Trailer the bike, carry the yak.
  13. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I meant what you're wearing under your gear. What you normally wear under your gear may be too hot, or too cool for paddling. It's normal to get wet from splashing water, getting in and out of kayak, or perspiration. Ride home with wet clothes under your gear? bring change of cloths?

Not knowing your location makes it difficult for others to share their experiences in a meaningful way. My experiences Kayaking in the Seattle area on the Puget sound might not apply to you.
    Are you envisioning paddling around a small lake or waterway in a park? Open coastal areas? Major lakes, or rivers? Are rentals available where you might go paddling? That might be a good way to give it a try and figure out what you'll need, and if its practical before investing in a boat.
  14. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    if you can get a packed Oru to lay across your panniers and not impinge in your seat riding area and you can get it strapped down well enough I say go for it.
  15. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be paddling in a canal/ waterway, medium sized lake, shoreline only, creeks, ponds, that sort of thing.

All the canoe/ kayak rental places have been closed for the season due to covid so zero chance to try a anything or get any instruction
  16. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    In that perspective it seems more doable if not downright easy. The kayaks you mentioned suggested the possibility of a wider range of locations. There are smaller, lighter, less expensive options popular for fishing that might be worth looking at. eg, https://www.amazon.com/Sevylor-Quikpak-K5-1-Person-Kayak/dp/B00EVII2IO#customerReviews

FWIW, I know its ADV cool to be clever with ones location, but it does make it hard for others to help or give advice when asked for.

Oh, and darn you......

This has got me thinking about it again.............
  17. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's perfectly doable if you have the space behind your seat. I've thought about doing it with my GS but I'm always paddling from one location to another with other folks and need a four wheeler for running shuttles to carry other people.
    Before I got into riding there was a guy from Pittsburgh on a Ducati Monster who would show up for whitewater releases on a river in Western Md.(Upper Yough) towing a small trailer with his 8'-10' plastic playboat(kayak)!
  18. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I have made an offer on a walker bay sport 10 inflatable kayak. Weight....20 lbs. comes with a backpack and pump with gauge. It looks like the whole thing is drop stitch, not just the floor, it’s more of a sit on top type. I had a nice chat with the owner this am, him and the wife are an older couple who bought it for their boat in Mexico.

I haven’t heard back so I hope he isn’t going to back out.....
    davidji likes this.
  19. northerndancer

northerndancer wandering spirit

Oddometer:
    I have carried a small pakboat semi inflatable (light metal skeleton with skin/inflation bags). 20 lbs. 4 piece paddle. It was easy. We also have a innova inflatable which has no skeleton. It is bulky but the new version is lighter than the old. I have carried it. The biggest issue was the metal skeleton of the pakboat. It was too bulky until I learned to keep it out of the bag and let the wind blow through it. The other issue was the PFD but you can just strap this stuff on the back of your bike. The weight was almost nothing. Keep the bulk down. Lots of fun. Also carried my tent and sleeping stuff on the same trip. Go for it....
  20. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    One word--packraft.

I didn't see these mentioned. If I missed it, apologies. A packraft will weigh a few pounds, and be quite capable, even in rapid waters.

I use a packraft for paddling on lakes for some fishing. I can get my camping gear and a packarft with a 4 piece paddle on the bike without problems.
    davidji likes this.