Has anyone done a ride/ kayak day with a travel kayak?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by theshnizzle, May 12, 2020.

1. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    I'd probably take my inflatable PFD if I were packing all this crap on a bike. Though if it fit in my bags, I'd take a regular one.
  2. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    I've done this a few times. Rode up to the Adirondacks and went paddling. I rode my motorcycle, and when I got there I just rented a kayak. Changes of clothes, toiletries, ect... was what I carried on my bike. I can't imagine a long trip with an actual kayak on my bike.
  3. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Side cases on my bike hold my riding gear (helmet and gloves on one side, everything else on the other). And my inflatable kayak is lighter than my wife, and can be placed on the passenger seat so technically it can be done.
    Is it practical? Meh.
  4. BoilerRealm

BoilerRealm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven’t tried it, but here is my SUP on the bike. It’s definitely doable. Everything I would need is in the bag. Board, leash, pump, paddle, and PFD. I could wear swimming trunks under my riding pants, and then stash all my gear in the cases.

DA7D8B12-E708-4F08-9BE6-38748D300648.jpeg 0D5E53E3-0ABA-411A-AFF2-F97035DFD890.jpeg
    Pave2 and davidji like this.
  5. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am brand new to kayaking.... thinking of this exact kayak because there are rivers and lakes that I would like to ride my bike to but wouldn't enjoy driving to. This particular one packs into a backpack which might make it easier to attach on the bike.

The packrafts look interesting also, but a bit more spendy.

Thinking I'd wear paddle cloths under my Roadcrafter, then have dry cloths to change into after paddling.

Cheaper right now at Costco...

https://www.costco.com/sevylor-quikpak-k5-1-person-kayak-.product.100489261.html
  6. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok just for fun..... 20200523_122447.jpg 20200523_122041.jpg 20200523_122926.jpg
    Oru beach foldable kayak with a pair of random paddles. The oru inlet would fit much better. My husband doesnt see a problem with this but he carries lawnmowers on his VFR so....
    Pave2 and BoilerRealm like this.
  7. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Although it doesnt look like it, I actually do fit on the bike with the kayak on it.
  8. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Folded size is declared as 33 inches x 12 inches x29 inches. But it's not a flat square so it "sits' on its corners and makes a higher profile at the back.

Paddles weren't 4 piece breakdown just 2.
  9. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a like new solo West Marine inflatable kayak ( a rebadged Stearns IK 116) a friend gave me that you are welcome to borrow if you want to check out the feasibility of kayaking from a motorcycle. I've done a LOT of local paddling over the last few years and now have a small fleet of kayaks and paddleboards but haul them on a roofrack on my car, have not tried using my bike. There is a good local kayak store in Petaluma https://www.clavey.com/ and a couple of local paddling clubs. BTW the West Marine store down in Sausalito is humungous and well worth a visit, maybe 5X the size of the SR outlet...
    davidji and lvscrvs like this.
  10. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Possibilities are unlimited.

[​IMG]
    davidji and victor441 like this.