Has anyone done their own first service minus the computer stuff

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Greg di, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Greg di

Greg di Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm picking up a 790r tomorrow and the dealership quoted me almost $600 for the first service. That is friggin criminal. It's an oil change we all know that.

Obviously they have to plug in and do the computer stuff which no one else can do.

Has anyone here done the oil change and mechanical service on their own and then brought the bike in JUST for the computer part?

I'm Ok with paying for an hour of shop time for the plug in even though it's a five minute job at the most.
  2. Venturer

Venturer AKA klakeman Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did my first oil and filter change, and later took the bike to Wolly’s for the other dealer service items plus Cruise Control flash (I also installed the CC handlebar switch myself) and Quickshifter enabling. I dont remember the exact charge for this, but I recall thinking they were fair. I took photos of my oil change process and noted mileage. Wolly’s accepted my proof, and marked the record as “customer performed oil and filter change”.
  3. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My first service was just under $300. Other than the computer it’s an oil change and look at stuff you should be anyway. Chain, etc. I’ve changed my oil myself since, not hard. Plenty of videos out there. Kits are available also.

Check steering head bearings.

It’s all here.

https://790adventure.net/
  4. mrosamilia

mrosamilia n00b

Oddometer:
    What do they do to the computer exactly? If I perform my own first service am I going to have a service engine soon light stuck on or something?
  5. comradecasey

comradecasey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can turn the service light off yourself. All they do is record it in the mothership's files that they did the service. Your warranty is good either way if you do it yourself or if they do it.
    mrosamilia and CaseyB like this.
  6. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Greg,

If you don't mind me asking, which dealer are you buying from?
  7. Crusty the Clown

Crusty the Clown Nutup-or-Shutup Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just change it yourself and keep the receipt! You can turn off the oil change caution and reset the oil mileage when its do next!
  8. mrosamilia

mrosamilia n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you everyone!
  9. Greg di

Greg di Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I called around and found a shop that will let me do the the oil change myself and then only charge me an hour to do the rest with the electronics.

My selling dealership have me the "you'll void your warranty" song and dance. That right there instantly voids all credibility.
  10. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    My first service was $300 AU, about $220 USD
    Find another dealer
    Shouldnt need computer plugged in unless doing updates which should have been done to yours at pre-delivery which couldnt be that long ago.
  11. Greg di

Greg di Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mountain Motorsports

I was between three different dealers and at this point, two were willing to negotiate with me. It just came down to convenience for picking it up at the end of day.
  12. JohnRansom

JohnRansom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to my dealer, who I will rate as an honest set of guys here in Utah as far as I know, the first service will run about $170. This includes an oil change and general checkup. When I asked why I shouldn't just change oil myself, the mechanic said that he recommends that for all but the first service I DO do it myself. However, he said that in his experience, the first thing KTM will ask the dealer if there is a warranty claim is "who did the 600 mile service?" Evidently, if it is the consumer, they will be much more likely to try and shaft you.

Utah is very expensive though, COL wise, so the fact that your dealer wants double what mine does sounds to me like you need another dealer. Also given your "dead after 30 miles" thread, I would say your dealer might have screwed up the build out of the crate. Again, find a different dealer.
  13. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Not all dealers are created equal.

The other big part of the 600 miles service that has yet to be mentioned are the various checkes and tightening of fasteners. @Greg di given your issues with your bike, I'd pay the full freight at a different dealer to perform the 600 mile service.
  14. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    And insist on the clutch oil jet check
    JohnRansom and BobcatSig like this.
  15. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did it myself, there is no computer stuff involved. The flashing break in RPM limit message on the tach turns itself off shortly after 600 miles/1000 Km.
    AdvRonski likes this.
  16. JohnRansom

JohnRansom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll second that one. I haven't had my 600 mile done yet, but I will be requiring this check. If for some reason that jet is plugged, the clutch will burn up.
  17. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    My shop said 600 mile first service is $149 before tax. Includes pulling clutch pack and checking oil jet.
    Toddv likes this.
  18. Greg di

Greg di Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $149 sounds too good to be true. Especially with pulling the clutch.
  19. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mind sharing who?
  20. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Motorsports Olympia, Lacey WA.
    krussell likes this.