Has anyone rented bikes in Patagonia?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Ristic, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Ristic

Ristic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. Wilbur4s

Wilbur4s Memo

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have, 4 years ago I rented a BMW outside Pucón, Chile then rode across the border into Argentina. I used Adventure Motorcycle Tours, https://www.rideadv.com/?utm_campaign=North America Motorcycle Rentals&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=73262594&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_CgGyT8f_LYQ4gIk6isaozIepJrxPrNfPcjjv0GHy8gRgttySy_xt6M92U9Ytc1jA1asBNZdRvke1vlbUUum-rSelezw&_hsmi=73262594. I rented a bike and went by myself without a tour. You can reach out to Eric Lange - RIDE Adventures Tours & Rentals <eric@rideadv.com> and tell him that Will Pizzolato referred you. I had a great experience, bike was perfect, pick up and drop off was super easy and convenient from Pucón. You fly from Santiago to Temuco, take a bus from Temuco to Pucón and the pick up site is a few miles outside Pucón. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    tellicotom, knight and Ristic like this.
  3. Ristic

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Will do!
  4. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife and I did this in Jan 2019. Everything was lined up and went well. We just rented the bikes and followed the route they laid out along with lodging. Great Trip!!
    Dan Lorenze and Ristic like this.
  5. Ristic

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I think we will rent bikes rom them from Osorno, for 2 weeks to Ushuaia and back. I know that is short and will be some longer days, but have to work still and can't take much longer off. Is that crazy aggressive?
  6. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like that is about 3000 miles roundtrip. When we were there we did a loop around the Lakes Region and we did about 1500 miles in 10 days with 1 day off. We stopped to see the sights a bit but even with that low milage we had a couple of long days...

2 weeks of ride time would be reasonable I think, not including travel time to and from Chile...
    Ristic likes this.
  7. Runaway Train

Runaway Train The Left-Right Tourer

Oddometer:
    When I rode TDF in early ‘09 it was lots of gravel. Google earth shows that much of it is paved now. When we crossed the Straights of Magellan there was only one ferry, now it appears there are 4 on the same crossing. You could easily do it in that time frame.
    You’ll be moving and whizzing past some beautiful country, but hey you do what you have to.
    Ristic likes this.
  8. Ristic

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! Does anyone know do I need to book hotels along the way early or no issue when there? Am only renting bikes from RideAdv...
  9. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check the ferry schedule for TDF, as there isnt a sailing everyday to and from Punta Arenas
    Ristic likes this.
  10. Runaway Train

Oddometer:
    Again, when I did my trip, we just stopped and were able to find a place. I would expect not much has changed, with any luck the accommodation will be less shitty than on ‘09
    Ristic likes this.
  11. Ristic

Oddometer:
    Seems they have 3 boats now, going from 8:30 AM to 1 AM every day!
    Primera Angostura Crossing (tabsa.cl)
  12. Runaway Train

Oddometer:
    When we crossed back north they didn’t charge us, which is good because it was my last 20’000 Chilean Peso note and it came in handy later on.....
    But that’s a story for another day.
  13. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a different ferry , if you are only there for a short vacation , you might not want to venture that far east

If you do plan on taking that ferry , take note that there is no place to shelter on the south side of the chanel while
    waiting for the ferry

The ferry to and from Punta Arenas does not run every day
    http://www.tabsa.cl/portal/index.php/en/schedules/53-schedules-p-arenas-porvenir
  14. BackpackerMoto

BackpackerMoto Outcast

Oddometer:
    I had no problems booking as I went along. It does require a certain flexibility in terms of what type of accommodation is acceptable to you. If you're easy-going about staying in less stylish but still clean, nice places, you'll be happy to book along the way. Allows flexibility and you're not married to a schedule each day.

And: I think ride-adv is a good rental company, I would use them if I ever went back. Osorno is a smart place to start from.

I think your agenda might be a bit tight. There are some truly spectacular places along that route. Not questioning your grit or desire to reach Ushuaia, but if you can swing the extra fees, you might consider this alternative: ride an easier pace to Ushuaia (10-11 days), then instead of hot-rodding back to Osorno, just return the bikes in Punta Arenas or Puerto Natales. Hop a flight back to Santiago or wherever gets you home-bound.

I spent three weeks down there, starting from Santiago, with the goal of reaching Ushuaia. Only made it to Puerto Natales (where I visited Torres del Paine for several days) before having to blast back to Santiago. Obviously I started further north than Osorno, but still, I wish I'd just returned the bike down south and meandered my way there. I could have spent 18 days poking along instead of worrying about a turnaround point.

If you have the resources, I can almost guarantee you'll be happier at a slower pace with more time to stop, explore, maybe wait out some bad weather, even take a layover day here or there. As you go south, that wind can take it outta yah.

Just a thought. No matter what, you're gonna love it.
    powderzone and knight like this.
  15. powderzone

powderzone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve rented from Eric as well. Solid operation!
    I also worked in southern Patagonia and will say that some days you can rack up some big mileage and other days, it will take forever to ride 120 miles due to wind, ripio (washboard), deep gravel, sand. This is more of an issue on the ruta 40 than the Carretera Austral.
    RideADV have an option to leave the bike in P. Arenas...it’s a smart choice for your desired trip duration. Have fun!
    knight likes this.
  16. Cageless

Cageless I Hope I'm Lost!

Oddometer:
    Looking at thus run with Rideadv right now for something in Jan/ Feb. Was thinking the self guide trip, but hate the idea of having to be at a predetermine point every night for the lodging setup. Would also like to camp as much as weather/conditions permit. There are 5 of use going (2 dads with 3 sons) all very experience riders/minimalist campers.

Any issues/difficulties finding camping or lodging for a larger group along the way? Time constraints are pretty open...we'll put in what it takes.