1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Has Anyone Ridden a Zero DS 7.2?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Jarrett2, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just curious how it compares to other non-R models.

Specifically the 7.2 model versus the 14.4's.
  2. ridingnorth

ridingnorth between bikes

Oddometer:
    I have a DS 11.4 with a power tank for another 3

These numbers have nothing to do with the acceleration or top speed.... just the range. so the DS 7.2 will feel much the same as the 14.4 or the 11.4
  3. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, the current Power Tank adds 42 lbs. for 3.6 kWh. So a 7.2 is likely to be 80ish lbs. lighter. That seems like a pretty big difference.
  4. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I ended up buying a FX 7.2.

One thing I've learned about owning a Zero is buy the most battery you can get.

I can run the 7.2 battery out on my FX in 35 miles if I try really hard.

If I take it really easy, I can get 60 miles out of it total.

If I were to buy another one, I'd get the 14.4 (or biggest battery they offered) plus add on the extra power tank for good measure. These things run out fast!
  5. SteveVT

SteveVT n00b

Oddometer:
    When buying a Zero the important thing is how you intend to use the bike. I bought a DS 7.2 with charge tank and am pleased with the selection. Here's why:

I have to ride 9 miles of dirt road to get to pavement. The 7.2 short brick weighs 95 lbs. less than either long brick. This matters off pavement. I have more miles on unpaved road than paved.

I ride almost every day in season averaging about 75 miles on the back roads. On a typical day I'll ride into town, plug into a FREE level 2 charge station and grab lunch. I'm back at 100% for the ride home. The longest L2 charge I've ever done took 50 minutes. Most are about 30.

I didn't mention I'm 66 and retired so I have no schedule to speak of. I've located charging stations in 2 rings in every direction 25 and 50 miles from where I live. I find fast recharging on the road more valuable TO ME than absolute range.

Would all of this have been my best option when if I was 26 instead of 66. No. My days of doing 500 miles in a day are over. I don't like being away from home for more than a few hours. Got critters to feed and whatnot.

Since I'm running my yak here I do have a question. The original Pirelli tires will need to be replaced sometime this year. I like them them but am interested in the Heidenau K60 Scouts. Similar dual sport chevron tread but maybe a tad deeper. If anyone has ridden the K60s let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Bucho likes this.
  6. SteveVT

SteveVT n00b

Oddometer:
    And another thing! The DS 7.2 has a lockable storage compartment in the unused space behind the battery. In it I can fit:
    A well stocked tool roll.
    A 12v tire pump with 2 types of tire repair- regular and Dynaplugs
    My Samsung tablet in protective case.
    Disk rotor lock.
    Cable and lock for my helmet and jacket.
    Camera.

And there's still room to spare.
    T.S.Zarathustra and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  7. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    How far can you go on a single charge? Have you tested that on the DS 7.2? It's got to be pretty short considering its the same battery as the FX but weighs 28 lbs. more.

I hear people regretting the K60's. Might check out the Mitas E07+'s.
  8. SteveVT

SteveVT n00b

Oddometer:
    The DS 7.2 gets about the same mileage combined city/highway as the fx 7.2. I believe it's because of the difference in the drive and rear sprockets. Zero does this balancing act between models and battery/battery management/motor and god knows what else to get the desired mix of range and performance. An FX is a bit quicker. A stock DS 7.2 wouldn't have worked for me. I needed to choose between more battery or fast charging. I chose the charging option because less weight meant better mileage per lb. I've done 75 miles on a charge where I rode 25 miles on dirt roads, 45 miles on 2 lane paved roads, and 15 miles through 4 small towns. Charged up for free and rode the same route home with 8% to spare

These bikes require you to know where you're going and have a plan. Route, charging stations, agressiveness, ECO mode vs, speed mode, even uphill vs downhill. Once you get a handle on the variables it's fun.

The E07+'s do look good. I wasn't aware of this plus version. Price looks good compared to the K60's. I read one review that said they handle well, wear well, and are resistant to punctures. Thanks for the tip.
    _mtg_ likes this.