Has anyone tried Continental Escape tires yet?

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by Stretch67, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. ShortOnSkill

ShortOnSkill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those look incredible. :ear
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    guess the tires in vstrom/gs size was scrapped.
  4. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    Stretch, would those fit the Tiger? :scratch
  5. tintinopsella

tintinopsella Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yep my '05 Dakar has new spankin' conti escapes..lot of my friends also use escapes more tan 20k's..i have done around 4k mostly light trail and pavement..

they are, as you say, somewhere between a TKC and a Tourance (closer to a tourance)...(its much like the enduro3)

but the best part is incredibly long life...and low price (a metz tourance is around 200€ a pair and escapes are 130€ in Turkey, where i live)

its a great tire with great value for money... i'll definately buy escapes again next time also

its a enduro3 with 3 times longer life and 2/3 of the price....:clap

but looks kinda crap aesthetically..its really ugly .:huh
  6. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    :dunno Continental Tyres in the UK show a 110/80 R 19 and 150/70 R 17 option for the R1xxxGS range and both VStroms :nod
  7. EagleFeather

EagleFeather Flyin' High

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, you can't get the Conti Escape in the US. I have tried now for over a year - Ever since I first saw a pic of them.

I actually found one place that offered them on their website and I ordered a set. After a few days they contacted me and said they couldn't get them and I had to switch my order to TKC's.

If you do, somehow, find a way to get some here - I will buy a set too - but don't get your hopes up.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about getting them in the sizes that fit the Tiger, a 19 front, 17 rear and preferably a 110/19 front and 150/17 rear. I think if you could get the ones sold in europe, you'd have to drop down to a 100/19 front and a 140/17 rear - but I haven't been able to find those in the states either.
  8. EagleFeather

EagleFeather Flyin' High

Oddometer:
  9. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
  10. Paper

Paper I can see Iowa from my yard!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've purchased tires from O/Oroad before and they've always been good to me. I sent an email asking for in-stock status or if they're expecting any tires in..
    I'll post what I get in reply.
  11. «dmx_must_fly»

«dmx_must_fly» Elefant Rider

Oddometer:
    about 3 years ago I had the conti escape on the front.
    it was made in the Checz republic and it was cheap and very bad tire.
    I replaced it after about a month and put Michelin anaki instead.
    I crashed twice becuase of that tire.
    its got no grip at all on tarmac.
  12. ShortOnSkill

ShortOnSkill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sad to hear.

I got to watch Peterman ride his GS shod with TKC's. Talk about more grip than one would expect. I sort of assumed that the Escape would be even better.

Is Conti using the same rubber formula you experienced? I'm intrigued.
  13. MarathonMan

MarathonMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Conti Escape is not happening in GS/V-Strom sizes now or ever.

See here:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53798&page=6&highlight=conti+escape

"FWIW I spoke to the Conti rep who told me the Escape is officially dead. Said the engineers could not get the durability they wanted out of it. He also sent me this press release regarding the Trail Attack. He describes the Trail Attack as 70%road 30% off, which I find dubious based on the looks. It should be available by June he said. Anyway here's the release:

Continental Tire North America, Inc.
    P.O. Box #105
    39 E. Main St.
    Suite #117
    New Albany OH 43054
    Tel: (614) 855-6960 Fax: (614) 855-6961

Continental Tire announces the new ContiTrail Attack Dual Sport Radial!

Continental enters the dual sport ìtouringî radial market with the release of the new ultra-high performance ContiTrail Attack which is intended for touring riders who demand performance from their large capacity adventure touring/enduro machines."

Conti instead is coming out with the "Trail Attack", which looks like a 90/10 tire to me.

Attached Files:

14. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    That appears to be the case.

Below is the response to an e-mail I sent Continental USA yesterday:

------------------------------

Dear Eric,
    Thanks for your interest in our Conti Escapes. For the past few years our 110/80R19 & 150/70R17 ContiEscapes were in the development stage , however Continental Germany was never completely satisfied with the performance results of the Escape in these sizes (i.e. the goal was to build a significantly better tire than our competitors) and had begun development of a completely new model called the Conti Trail Attack. The Trail Attack is a 80% on-road/20% off road dual sport radial. The new Trail Attack is now in production and we expect to receive stock in the USA by late May. I have attached a photo and press release for your review.

I sincerely appreciate your interest in our tires for your Tiger and would invite you to try a set of Trail Attacks when they arrive in the USA.
    Safe Riding & Best Regards,
    Greg Reich
    Continental Tire North America, Inc.
    Sales Manager/Motorcycle Tires
    P.O. Box #105
    39 E. Main St.
    Suite #117
    New Albany, OH 43054
    Tel: 614-855-6960
    Fax: 614-855-6961
    E-Mail: greg.reich@conti-na.com

Continental Tire announces the new ContiTrail Attack Dual Sport Radial!

Continental enters the dual sport “touring” radial market with the release of the new ultra-high performance ContiTrail Attack which is intended for touring riders who demand performance from their large capacity adventure touring/enduro machines.

The new ContiTrail Attack broadens Continental’s existing “Attack” product line which currently consists of the ContiRoad Attack “sport mileage” radial, ContiSport Attack ”hypersport” radial, and the newly released ContiRace Attack “street-legal race” radial.

The release of the ContiTrail Attack further reinforces Continental’s intention to be at the forefront of performance tire technology.

ContiTrail Attack Main Features:
    • • Engineered to meet the demands of today’s powerful, high performance adventure
    • touring/enduro machines.
    • • “Continuous-Compound” Technology Derived from Continental’s Race Attack tires;

• -A single compound is used that through a temperature controlled curing process delivers the benefits of a dual-compound tire without the abrupt transition between the different compounds that dual compound tires are known for.

• -Center Tread Area, wear resistant = Mileage.

• -Shoulder Tread Area, flexible = Grip.

• -Continuous transition from center to shoulder = Smooth and predictable performance.
    • 0° steel belt construction on the rear tire delivers superior stability and comfort even at high
    cruising speeds and high loads.

• Reinforced carcass on the front tire utilizes a newly designed tread pattern to ensure higher
    precision and optimized wear.

• Innovative touring compound offers high grip in all wet and dry conditions combined with
    excellent mileage for long trips.

• Exceptionally quick warm-up time.

• Stunning new tread pattern adapted from the Conti Attack family.

What is Continental’s “Continuous-Compound”?:
    • • The new Trail Attack uses a soft compound on the outer edge for maximum grip at maximum
    • lean angle for controlled braking into corners and acceleration out of corners, but is harder in the
    • center for extended high-speed durability. Due to Continental’s “Continuous-Compound”
    • technology, the Trail Attack does not behave like its competition’s dual compound tires.
    • • The main disadvantage of a dual compound tire lies in the transition zone between the two
    • different compounds. Because of this Continental does not use two different compounds like
    • the competition. Instead through different thermal treatments of the two tread sections the Trail
    • Attack can offer the benefits of dual compound tires without the drawbacks.
    • • The technicians at Continental have not only managed to develop a contact compound that
    • changes from the center to the outer edge of the tire, but this change develops progressively,
    • unlike the tires from the competition.

• Product Information:
    Description: Retail Price Range/USD & CAD:
    110/80R19 59V TL Trail Attack $135.00 + USD (150.00 + CAD)
    150/70R17 69V TL Trail Attack $175.00 + USD (196 + CAD)

Check out Continental’s website at www.conti-moto.com or call 614-855-6960 for
    • more information. <WBR>
    ---------------------------------

So it looks like they were buried just after they were born.

Okay, back to TKC's.
  15. «dmx_must_fly»

«dmx_must_fly» Elefant Rider

Oddometer:
    I know that the tire I had was made in the checz republic and not in Germany.
    it was much cheaper then the michelin some thing like 2/3 of the price or even lower.
    it could have been a prototype or some thing like that.
    if the local pirely (not any more) importer menage to get a container of old stock tires in side the country then it could well have been a prototype tire...
    I lost the front twice in a month time.
    once with my wife on the back- saved it and the week after changed to anakee
  16. Texspeleo

Texspeleo Opportunivore

Oddometer:
    :scratch

I'm 99% certain I was looking at a pair a month or two ago here in Colorado Springs at Apex Motorsports. My rear tire is looking kind of rough here lately and I would swear that they had a pair that would fit my Wee. Maybe I should try to sleep a little more...
  17. Trail Boss

Trail Boss World's fastest slowrider

Oddometer:
    Darn, that Escape looked like it really might be a 70/30 tire. The new Trail Attack looks like a 90/10 tire, at best, to me also. Perhaps someday someone will actually make a tire that falls between the knobbied TKC80 and all the heavily road-biased 90/10 tires that are out there. Hey, Avon, please make the Gripster in GS/V-strom sizes.
  18. EagleFeather

EagleFeather Flyin' High

Oddometer:
    I hear alot of people that think that the TKC, because it looks like a knobby, isn't a road worthy tire. I think its still the best all-around dual-sport tire out there. No, it doesn't get the mileage that a Tourance gets, but the performance is outstanding both on and off road. For the big Trallies, it can't be beat in the dirt and if you've never run them, you will be very surprised at their on road handling. They are all I run on my Tiger. With all my crash protection and panniers, my Tiger is weighing in at over 500lbs and I add a little more than 200 to that. Most of you know that off-road, I tend to challenge myself on the big cat and on road I ride it like a sportbike. I've taken corners fully loaded, scraping pegs and those tires stick like glue - the front wheel doesn't walk like some knobbies do. On my last set of TKC's, I got 6000mi out of the rear and about 8000 out of the front. That was riding probably 50%dirt and 50%tarmac and riding probably 40% of the time with a passenger and 100% of the time with the sidecases full of my junk.

Just my .02 worth.

ps. for the best prices on TKC's and others, try TFOG Wheelsports in Golden.
  19. earwig

earwig Crowbar of Embrayage

Oddometer:
    Hey Eagle Feather, I've seen pics of your bike, looks very nice.

I've got a Tiger too and am considering TKCs next to replace my Anakees. It's really wet around here most of the year. I've heard that the TKCs are not so good in the wet, what's your opinion?
  20. EagleFeather

EagleFeather Flyin' High

Oddometer:

Honestly, I haven't had any problem in the wet. Keep in mind, when I ride wet tarmac, I ride very conservatively. I know how easy the front end washes out in the dirt, so I don't push it on wet roads. Last spring I rode 1300mi in 3 days and it rained almost a third of the time - this was all pavement and even at highway speeds I didn't have any problem with them.