1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone used the Mx hauler?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by DPL-NYC, Jun 30, 2020.

1. DPL-NYC

DPL-NYC n00b

Oddometer:
  2. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't used it. However, sounds like a great idea. One thing I noticed. f800gs wet weight is 456 pounds. That hitch hauler is rated at 450 max. If you load it with the gas tank empty you are below max rate. However, it is way close.
  3. Billyj7175

Billyj7175 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was considering getting one as well, but my 790R would be close as well on the weight.

I emailed them for a shipping quote and never heard back from them, so I don't know if they're closed up or what.
  4. Hedonist222

Hedonist222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For practicality, I'd consider the unit to support 450lbs × 80% = 360lbs effectively
  5. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would think they already have a safety factor built in .
  6. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Avoid using an adapter or extension with a hitch rack.

If your hitch can handle the weight, a Rack N Roll (Ride) may be a better option for that heavy of bike.
  7. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    If it were me, I wouldn't purchase a carrier that didn't state 600lb. limit, and even then you probably should make sure your hitch could handle the weight. I've look at two models of carrier, the Black Widow sold by discount ramps and the Versa Hauler. Get something very substantial to protect your investment, I don't like being stressed and looking in the rear view mirror every time you go over the tiniest bump. :D
  8. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one of their smaller dirt bike haulers that lifts from the skid plate. It's well made and very heavy duty. I suspect they have a pretty large safety factor built in. I would not worry in the least about being a couple pounds over.
  9. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    A bigger worry is going to be tongue weight, That's a lot of weight to hang that far off the back of the truck or car with no wheels under it.
    I run a hitch extension with a home made bike rack, but I'm only ever putting a CRF230 or a trials bike on it. I wouldn't put anything close to 500# on the hitch without it having wheels under it.

Don't forget the weight of the rack, when you are figuring out the max tongue weight.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  10. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. If using an extension, the leverage it creates can overload things on the truck side, plus extra bouncing around could also affect the rack system itself. I'm not saying that will happen with yours, just pointing the failure mode.

There are other extension/attachment induced failure videos, but this guy gets credit for putting a good teaser at the top. Skip ahead to 4:35 for the exciting part; 8:00 for the broken weld. His solution is prone to failure, too. I've seen other examples with feet of unsupported tubing stubbed onto a mount far under the vehicle, creating a very long lever.

Rack N Roll (or Rack N Ride in North America) makes receiver mounted racks for heavy bikes, but it'd take a seriously stout vehicle to support the load. I decided I liked this system better than the MX Hauler.

I have one of this model for a sub-300 lb bike:
  11. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure down2mob has now totally stopped bringing his bike with him, and he also sold the dodgemahaul and picked up a new jeep gladiator.
    I can't imagine loading a bike carrier on one of those high rise hitch extensions, I felt kind freaked out just having my bicycles on one.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  12. jekaio

jekaio Ride The Lightning

Oddometer:
    IMG-1422.JPG

i have the ultimate mx hauler (sold the van)

solid unit.

replacement bottle jacks are around $30, had to replace mine after 2 years due to the seals leaking, that's it.

dont put a hitch extension on it and you shouldnt have a problem
    ZoomerP likes this.
  13. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    I had the original MotoJack from back in '98 or so (he sold the business and it turned into the Ultimate MX Hauler) and ran it for years. My boy still has it and uses it often.

In the disaster/fail video, in addition to having an inadvisable and cheapo extension on the receiver, having it flopping around back there doesn't help things either. I always used tie-down straps on either side running from both ends of the bike down to an attachment point on the frame or bumper. That kept it from rotating back and forth and lessened wear and tear on everything.

Good doin' it right to ya!
    ZoomerP likes this.