Has anyone used What3Words?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by HickOnACrick, Aug 27, 2019.

1. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    This looks like an interesting solution for traveling in areas that don't have traditional addresses.

https://what3words.com/wounds.client.face

According to an article I read, it allows someone to share a location that may not have a traditional address, and the app is used to navigate to the exact spot (links to Google maps). The article states that Mongolia has adopted this system for their postal service.

The builders broke up the planet Earth into trillions of 3m squares. Each square is assigned a random 3-word identity. My living room is composed of ~6 squares and when I used wifi to show my location, it was scary accurate; showing the exact corner of the living room where I was sitting- that gives you an idea of how accurate it can be. When I tried it using cell service, it was not as accurate, but I only get a couple bars at my house. My typical front porch sitting and strumming location is headlined.flickers.called!

Multiple languages are available so if you are traveling in a different country, you can load the language of that country then ask your AirBnB to use the app and share their location.

Location can be loaded into the map of your choice when on-line, then navigate while off-line. I am going to see if I can figure out a way to share locations on my GPS so I don't need to worry about off-line maps.

It may eliminate directions that include phrases like, "turn left at the cow." Seriously, that was a phrase used to direct me to a store when I was traveling in Central America.

I'm going to play around with it a little on my next ride. Free app for iOS and Android.
    DavidR8 and bozmotodual16 like this.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    the problems with w3w are:
    GPS coordinates (waypoints) have been in standard for decades
    very slow adoption
    language barriers at each border
    spelling/pronunciation

I'm a fan of it, but it's so easy to put N 47.71 , W 116.02 and be plenty close enough.
  3. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    We travelled to Morocco recently (rental car, not bike), and something like this would have been invaluable when we stayed at Riads in metropolitan areas.
    For example: park at gorilla.vermillion.about. front door to riad at water.cart.polar.

Since we booked in advance and could see the location from satellite imagery, the host need not add the 3-letter words, just confirm the location. We could have used w3w to guide our way in.

This morning, I tried it out going to work. I picked out a specific parking space using the satellite imagery, and it guided me right there. Granted, Google maps only got me to the entrance to the parking lot, but w3w got me to a specific parking space that was "open" on imagery, and since I am the first to work, was also open when I arrived at work.
    ohgood likes this.
  4. ohgood

Oddometer:
    it would be really cool for a gps guided scavanger hunt.... and memorable !
  5. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's handy if you are riding with friends and get separated, I have found it makes it easier to agree where to meet up again.
  6. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your points are valid but it much easier to say 3 words than communicate gps coordinations. Apparently, auto manufacturers are putting this tech in cars, so people can just speak three word and the car gps with take them to the location.
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i have never seen anyone attempt to input GPS coordinates to a car navigation system. they always try to use street names and or house numbers. as far as SHARING GPS coordinates, the misspelling , mispronunciations, and misunderstand from one person to another is going to make w3w+ car navigation hilarious.

the voice recognition absolutely butchers the street names under optimal conditions (quiet cab, no other people talking, etc let and just gets hung up with sub optional conditions.

another example, you call a business to ask for their address, or a friend, or a gas station.... they're going to give you a street address, not w3w or GPS coordinates. that's where the translation from street address to GPS cord or w3w gets inefficient.

i can imagine it getting down right silly when you request: mozart.Jane.rug

but you're served up navigation directions to: start.plane.pug

the offline speech recognition software needs to come a long long way before w3w be able to differentiate reliably.
  8. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    With my Yankee accent speech recognition works pretty well. This was typed using my microphone.
    ohgood likes this.