Has Kijiji ruined the Canadian Used Bike Market?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by C-Stain, Mar 13, 2012.

1. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeebus!

I've been searching for a second bike for awhile. I don't have anything in mind, but cycle between vintage machines and smaller displacement dual sports. But I've got to wonder...are people smoking crack when they post their ride on kijiji?

What I'm finding is HUGE prices for used bikes. For instance, this 2007 DR-Z400 SM

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-...-choppers-2007-Suzuki-DR-Z-W0QQAdIdZ356730364

Now..I don't put a lot of stock into after market stuff when it comes to used prices. Personally, I think that this machine is priced about $1000 too high? Or am I the one on crack?

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-...-choppers-2007-Suzuki-DR-Z-W0QQAdIdZ356730364

Those are just two examples that I found in under 5 minutes. It just seems to me that people either think that their bike is worth WAY more than it is, or I'm just out to lunch when it comes to used prices.

What says the collective? Are buyers that naive, or am I?
  2. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
    It is the spring (fever) time of year.

Searching for a bike in spring just naturally means you will have to pay more as there will be fewer "distress" sales and more potential buyers to choose from.

It is called bargaining - you don't like the price - make an offer and see what happens!
  3. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout adventure flyfisher

Oddometer:
    As the man said they may price it for whatever they want but market will dictate the selling price ie... if its too high it will not sell! Its only worth what they ask if someones willing to step up and pay their price. Usually after a week of no offers they get more realistic and drop their price or take offers:clap
  4. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    The bike is only worth what someone is willing to pay... You are right about the asking price for the DR being a little high as I have seen equivalent ones sell for much less.... I prefer to find a bike with an engine in stock form over something that has been converted to a fire breather... As OMS stated, spring is not the best time to bike shop as more buyers are out their looking and maybe willing to pay more...

I usually try to go for the bikes with a solid core but that need some TLC... This fixer upper method sometimes backfires as little costly surprises will sometimes creep in when you start the fine tooth comb look through your project... I picked up 2 bikes last September, a Honda XR 250 L which pretty much fit my pre assesment on what it needed to make it shipshape... And a 640 A which held a few extra surprises... After a winter of fixing both bikes are now ready for action....

You could always buy a new KLR for near the price of that 07 DR...
  5. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    you riding the 640 to the Roaming Rally?:lol3
  6. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    Ya when I was looking for a bike a few years ago I found the used price way way high. I used to buy two smokes cheap and fairly new and there was lots to choise from. Got my first street bike back in 84 LTD 440 for $350 back in 92. When I wanted a bike again years later 2002 saw the same bike for $1500 when it sold for that new back in 84 WTF.
    Not sure what happened in the 10 years I didn't have a bike and why the price jumped so much. Better to try down in the states and import it back up here lol
  7. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    You talking to me? Roaming Rally, whats that? Do you need a blindfold for it?
  8. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    He'd win 'Traveled farthest' prize thats for sure!:lol3
  9. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You wanna talk crazy bike prices... I was interested in a ktm 950 SE.

Price out one of those bad boys! You will see how supply and demand works damn near instantly!
  10. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    If you spend a lot of time here on Adv Rider you get used to American Used Bike prices which are considerably lower. Cdn bikes cost 20% more on average.
  11. patw

patw n00b

Oddometer:
    It might be the type of bike as well. I've been following my local area, and the only dual sport that gets a decent price is the KLR 650. I saw one DRZ all winter, and zero BMW's or KTM's. Tons of badly abused sport bikes though :)
  12. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    Hey Cstain, like it's said, try an offer on what you like, the answer can only be no! Drop me a line and lets get something going for April with everybody:clap

Cheers Philip
  13. squad314

squad314 Regular Joe

Oddometer:
    Craig, I have been away from motorcycling for about 12 years so I am also a little out of touch with pricing. I did however find my new to me bone stock R1100GS on Kijiji (in NS actually) and think I paid a fair price from a decent guy.

Now if you want to talk about over paying, my last bike was a '92 Fatboy that I bought in '95. In those days your options were to either buy a spot on a waiting list for the following year or pay someone more than full retail for a used one. Being 25 years old and having more money than brains.....Well, you know. (money and brains have since cascaded)

The only consolation is that I loved every single second I had that motorcycle and don't regret it one bit.
  14. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    Hijack on - Hey Phil - let me know when and where - I'm in. Had the BGP out yesterday for a few hours to soothe the mind after a mind numbing winter.

call me for a coffee if you have time. :D
    Hijack off

CStain - what was the subject again - oh yeah kijiji - yes the prices are insane as I have been lurking for an offroad beast too. Know you can get a new klr for $6400 in Coldbrook - just saying ... Also a 2011 Husaberg 570 for $10k all in. both new - and as another said close to the price of a 400 DRZ.

YK
  15. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hijack continued...

My garage is undergoing renovations right now, but I'm thinking an early April Tech Day and BBQ at Casa del C-Stain...

Sooner if you FFs want to come and help put some (drywall) :evil mud on the walls...

:D
  16. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm boat shopping and it's the same there, we like to slam dealers and such for big price gouges but there's a lot of Canuck sellers that seem to have forgotten about the internet.
  17. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    The last 3 bikes I've owned I've bought in the middle of winter. I've always said the best ways to get deals is to buy in the off season. You might find something for a good price this close to spring but it's not likely...:deal
  18. Weldit

Weldit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree that there are a lot of "inflated" prices on kiijii - just dreamers fishing for suckers ?
    You will get this when there is no charge for the add
    you know that the price is stupid when the bike has been listed for months
    there is a street sumo xr 400 on there and the guy puts in the add "1400 visits and no one has looked at my bike"
    my guess is the 1400 (now over 2000) people were laughing at the $3000 price !
    I personally have had good luck selling bikes - I ask myself "what would I be willing to pay"
    and price according to that - Don't judge $$ by the dreamers that will never sell their stuff
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to look on the Super Shopper but that is now just a joke with the "SCAMMERS" running wild
    like a 2010 Honda CBR1000r for $3000. ???
    or a 2010 fourwheeler for $2300. ???
    they even have campers for unbelievable prices ???
    ALL SCAMMERS - just send me money up front to lock in this super deal - NOT !
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Remember when it comes to advertising and advice - you get what you pay for !
    :D
  19. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kijiji is basically not even on the radar screen out on the west coast. It's all about Craig's list.
    That said, I truly feel that the 'internet' in general has been pulling prices down right across the board. The exposure available now compared to the local classifieds newspaper has opened up huge price competition, new and used. Manufactures of bikes and cars have often tried to close down this cross border shopping, but seems to just sour people off their brand entirely.

Steve
  20. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    I looked for a year for a 650GS Dakar, the ones for sales were insanely high, I couldnt believe it. Sertao came out this spring and I already pickup up a new one for a few thousand more than people were asking for their used ones.

Market will dictate, so if people can sell them that high, all the power to them, but i think many sellers are just trolling and not really motivated. Best to ask up front if sellers are interested in your range and if not, move on, there are always new bikes for sale and a motivated seller is just around the corner.

Or, do as I did and just go in and buy a new ride :evil