Has Kijiji ruined the Canadian Used Bike Market?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by C-Stain, Mar 13, 2012.

1. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Maybe the problem is Nova Scotia?

:dunno
  3. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may just be correct. I think I'm just gonna have to save my shekels and buy a new one. The prices that are listed are so out of this world, that there's no point looking at a used machine. If I can get a brand hammer new one for a grand more, with warranty, then that's the best deal!
  5. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    I think you are soo right, why the hell would you want to pay that for something used. It probably was not even 5000 new back in 08. I do not understand why people think they can get this kind of money for it. With the internet you can search all over Canada and the states for the same bike.
    I went to a dealership to buy a car a few weeks ago, some private seller had his car for 1500 less then the dealer. But I wanted a standard (dealer had the other was auto) so went to the dealer first. They did not want to lower the price that much and said no, so I left and went to look at the other car. I never left the parking lot sat there called the other guy but he sold it a few weeks ago. Went back in to the dealer (hour later) and said are you willing to deal, they found the add and said yes. So I saved 1500 and the tax on that just because there was the same car at a lower price on the net.
    So no one says you have to buy that bike and he will have it in the fall and will either lower his price or keep it another year. One more year older does not make it worth more, or does it?:lol3
  6. Drilldogger

Drilldogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had good luck w/kijiji. As long as people are overpricing there stuff it makes it easier to sell mine.

Recently I used it to help w/ the purchase of a truck. I saw it at an auction. Looked up every comparable truck on kijiji (there were over 40 listed) and the asking prices -private/dealer. Then I was able to set a maximum bid for myself that gave me room to cover taxes and certifying. In the end; after taxes, e-test, and cert I got the truck for 3000 less than the cheapest one on kijiji which was as is. Just down the road at the Ford dealer is the exact same truck and they're asking exactly double what I have into mine. I'm happy!
  7. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
  8. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
  9. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Ok, I honestly laughed out loud for this one.
    Gotta love Lornce.
  10. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    ymmv ? :d
  11. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your mileage may vary.
  12. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Figured I'd check the Auto Trader today for a hidden jem. What I found was an 08 Yamaha XT250 for $5495. At a Dealer! I'm going to start looking south of the border. We Canadians are apparently FOS.
  13. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
  14. fredgreen

fredgreen Beer drinkin Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    You buy la lighter one yet YK?
  15. squad314

squad314 Regular Joe

Oddometer:
  16. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    but i am on the lookout. need some cash flow first. :lol3
  17. CallMeBoog

CallMeBoog hi functioning idiom

Oddometer:
    Okay this is pathetic. A 1987 TW 200 ?? Here's a neat fact, a 1992 TW 200 was my first vehicle with a license plate. I bought it in 1999 and had 20k kms on it for $1500.

$2450 ?? REALLY?

OH, wait, my bad the bike is in really good shape because he paid too much money for it... it says so right here: $1400 OF WORK DONE BEFORE I GOT IT (HAVE ALL RECEIPTS)

I like how he's flogging the receipts as if it's his own expense his trying to recoup.

BUt all freakout aside, a Tee-Dub is a great bike, and I've almost got the wife convinced to consider one...a new one...for $4400
  18. Drilldogger

Drilldogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The sad part is that someone who doesn't know any better will probably buy it, and next year they will turn around and try to sell it for the same stupid price.

If there was a way to market it, you could start a business acting as a consultant to people who think they want a motorcycle. In my experience most people who decide they want a bike, do inadequate research into the bike, insurance, and the gear they need.

Of course it's usually these people that sell me cheap bikes that "ran when I put it away and now it won't start".:lol3
  19. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its funny you should mention this. I've said to my wife many times that I wish I could do exactly what you mentioned and make better, educated riders out there. At work, I'm always the one people come to for bike advice. Whether it be the bike, the gear or luggage. And funny enough, most people listen to me! Now, if I could only par-lay that into some real coin, I'd be a happy man.

I was just able to secure a fantastic deal of a set of Givi PLX luggage for one of the Supervisors at work. I just wish the shop would give me a better discount...
  20. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer: