Has Kijiji ruined the Canadian Used Bike Market?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by C-Stain, Mar 13, 2012.

1. doughy

doughy Less excitable then I used to be

Oddometer:
  2. doughy

Oddometer:
    Pop into the GTA thread, and see my post and let me know if your interested? I've got a trade offer. Only if you like 72 Manx dunebuggies, with dual porsche .44mm carbs, that can do wheelies. It's been sitting in a wooden shed for awhile but a little spit shine and TLC she's ready. Tons of parts and spare parts, white canvass removable roof with tinted vinyl windows. I put a pic of the back end up in the GTA thread, I'm heading up to my cottage (where it's stored) next weekend to pull it out and take some updated pics, but yea, it's going on the block specifically for a new to me bike. I had an 09 Xrr650L and in 2 seasons I had 68,000 kms on it, I'm looking at another one as I sold my last one D'oh. I'm looking for something that will do a ton of double track, and touring, but the reality is that I always end up doing a ton of single track... so It's a hard bike to find that can do it all.
  3. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:

DRZ doughy??, not as good as the 650s in the long haul, but will do it fine(I did some touring on my old one) and not as good as a EXC etc in the bush, but maybe a good compromise??

Todd
  4. H e a d N o r t h

H e a d N o r t h (take the high road)

Oddometer:
    I'm not 'Doughy' (hi Doughy :wave), but I am also somewhat 'doughy'...
    And I am keeping my eye out for a dirtier bike (sometime)...
    What I'm seeing is that the DR650's and the XR650's both have roughly the same seat height as the DRZ400, but, contrary to the displacement difference, the DRZ's, stock, put out 20% more horsepower.
    What's the deal?
    If the bikes are all roughly the same size, and the DRZ's power can haul my butt around slightly better, is there any reason I shouldn't be considering it? Especially, considering there seem to be more performance mods available for it.

Real world opinions, anyone?

H e a d n o r t h (formerly BiggerTigger)

5. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    Maybe this guy is uber intelligent. :D

Much more respect now !
  6. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    I can speak for the Dr vs DRZ, the DRZ seat is higher than the DR, couple inches maybe from what Ive heard the XR is about the same. Id say the DRZ has more power, easier roll on wheelies, but its lighter than the DR also, so who knows, just different power bands I guess, liqiud cooled vs air/oil, the DRZ is more high strung and the DR is more of a tractor.

I loved my DRZ, the only reason I switched to the DR was I started doing longer distances and the DRZ close ratio makes it wind out a little more on the longer hauls(better in the bush) but it would do it fine just works a little harder.

Todd
  7. doughy

Oddometer:
    I rode an XR650L and in two seasons put close to 70,000 kms on it. :eek1 The seat, was ok, but not anything that was close to a lazy boy, but still, it wasn't bad compared to the 2x4 wrapped in barbwire the DRZ400 felt like that my buddy rode. Also at 90kms ph, I was winding up to 100 as opposed to just getting there on my 650... I rode the supermoto model so that's all I can compare my 650 to, but for me at 6' 210-220 the little 400drz was severely lacking in power, comfort and it also felt "fragile" in my grasp... I thought I was going to break it at any point.

Now I know I might offend people when I say that, but I'm just trying to be honest. My friends that ride them, LOVE THEM and swear by them, but I on the other hand wasn't comfy and didn't really like it. I'm sure the single track would be easier on it, but with my 650 it was purely point and shoot so to speak. I never needed to finesse my way out of a problem, I could just give it gas and go wherever I pointed it.

My riding style isn't the norm though, on my knobbies with my 650, I enjoyed "drifting".... ( i never said I was SMRT,, D'oh, SMART")

But like women, everyone's taste is just a little different on what they like when it comes to bikes....
  8. H e a d N o r t h

H e a d N o r t h (take the high road)

Oddometer:

OK, so even though the DRZ's specs say more horsepower, your 650L felt like it had more torque?
    I'm bigger than you, so the heft and solidness of the 650 make sense to me.

Ferd

9. doughy

Oddometer:
    110%. I have a hard time thinking that the 400DRZ had more horsepower. I can post a pic of my GPS with 158kmph reading. Maybe it was all about the gearing set up, but for me to get 110kmh out of the DRZ400, I had to have it pinned, and it really took it's time to get there. My 650, 110 -115 KMH was my cruising/touring speed. The DRZ felt like it would have blown up if I stayed at 110kmh for more then a few minutes. It was screaming at that speed. My 650, I coulda probably 120 as an easy cruising speed, but, it's air cooled, so, I'd rather do 5 kms less and instead of around 4300rpms, I'm down to about 3700rpms
  10. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    $7500 for a 2003 Dakar on Kijiji right now... hilarious! :D:D:D
  11. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    no.
    it is not just kijiji, it is alll internet free listing options that have caused a bit of inflation.
    remember when you had to paY $20+ a wk to list your old crappy car for sale in the local newspaper classifieds?
    that kept ppl motivated to sell...who wants to spend a few hundred advertising bucks to sell an old vehicle? (or what ever it was you were selling.)
    all the best with your two wheeled search.
  12. CallMeBoog

CallMeBoog hi functioning idiom

Oddometer:
  13. payner

payner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, it's a DR, 52,000 is cheap for one of these fine machines.:lol3
  14. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    It has only been a good thing for me as it expanded my options. My last three machnes were purchased through Kijiji as out of province deals. I had alot of help from a couple of inmates:clap on a K75s this spring and it would not have been possible without Kijiji.
  15. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    ok before I put the blue 01 DRZ400s 35k up for sale
    whats it worth...?

very good condition
    war wounds of scratches and stuff

pile of bling.
    fmf pipe
    k/n filter
    blue rad guards
    ims tank clear
    bark busters
    acerbis cyclops headlight- dioded to 110wats at high beam
    skid plate
    case guards
    charging system monitor
    easy boost battery pack
    clip on/off windshield
    newer d606 tires frnt and back.
    led signals
    led tail light
    cnc rear rack
    suzuki gel seat
    lowering kit
    Blue sm frnt fender
    top end done at 30k

I have 70% of all the stock stuff

Whats it worth?
  16. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    You're welcome anytime here, if you find another bike in this area Dave.

Speaking of that, here's a nice DR for you.

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...tocross-2000-Suzuki-DR-650-W0QQAdIdZ405738710
  17. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
  18. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    ok it seems we complain about too high prices and don't offer solutions..... so $5000..... too much?:D
  19. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't want to comment, because I'm not familiar enough with DRZs. However, since you've called us out -

It's an 11 year old bike. It's well farkled. I think that a listed price of $3900 and be willing to sell for $3500? Even in excellent shape - its still 11 years old. What say the rest of the inmates?
  20. Mr. C

Mr. C I need more bike time!!

Oddometer:
    I had trouble getting over $4000 for my 2009 with only 3500 km on it. I guess it depends on who is looking and what they are looking for.