Hasta la vista Winter..heading south as far as we can on a new Rad-icle Edventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 30, 2020.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am already 3 days in to this new Rad-icle Ed-venture but it is currently stalled at the Mexican border. Right now, I am sitting in the El Centro DMV office sorting out some paperwork on my 2011 BMW GS1200 Adventure. The Mexican authorities turned us around and made us return to the US (yes, not traveling alone)
    Seems Mexico doesn't believe my original ownership document (pink slip) is genuine and believes what they see on Car Fax report. Car Fax doesn't actually apply to bikes so there is no info on my bike. We tried telling them that and their response was that I should drive a car......FUCK!!!!
    It is starting to get cold in the US and want to spend the winter on the beach with a cerveza in hand. Not sure what will happen. I am hoping this won't be my shortest RR yet.
    But as they say, where there is a will, there is a way......gonna make it happen.
    20201130_071433.jpg
    Our first night camping on the way to Mexico
    20201130_012825.jpg

This motorcycle should look familiar.....with some small modifications

Screenshot_20201205-213934_WhatsApp.jpg IMG-20201213-WA0015.jpg

If you want to see what 8 years on 2 wheels looks like - start reading here.............

https://advrider.com/f/threads/around-the-world-in-800-days.801516/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/around-the-world-ed-venn-ture-the-next-800-days.1000417/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/around-se-asia-in-80-days-my-next-edventure.1278295/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/arou...howing-the-world-is-a-friendly-place.1317807/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-...ntures-on-the-new-honda-african-twin.1350874/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/magi...na-be-no-vacation-going-deep-in-asia.1367399/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/impe...-this-a-rich-summer-on-a-tiny-budget.1385630/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/all-...ound-hispaniola-haiti-dr-on-2-wheels.1416999/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/frol...-with-a-group-of-italian-supermodels.1476408/
  2. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer:
    Right on brothers! Have a good ride! Looking forward to the report.

Hasta!
  3. Samanjo

Samanjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck.
    Hope the paper work get sorted out quickly
  4. steved57

steved57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in - Have a great ride
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I have been here at the DMV for 4 hours now, subjecting myself to Covid-19. They are trying to extort more money from me even though my situation was finally resolved last year.....so I thought. What can I do? I either give in to their demands and pay up or I have a big lump of metal that says BMW that can not be driven on public roads.
    In the mean time, the wait continues.
    The manager is busy and doesn't really want to deal with my shit. 20201130_110455.jpg
  6. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Feel for ya dealing with this.
    Why do “ most “ gov’t employees not seem to give a shit about their customers?
    If they tried that stuff in a retail environment they’d be unemployed quickly by being booted out or bankrupt business.

Anyway Ed.....
    Probably best to let them win if not too big a financial hit.
    Winning the argument may not be worth the time and stress.
    (Again - it depends on the $$$$$,s involved.

I’m confident you’ll get through ( thinking of your Haiti crossing)
    Have a great trip guys
    Ginger Beard and #1Fan like this.
  7. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    In!!

Tahoe
  8. Smidty

Smidty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In :lurk
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    About 10 days before I was going to set off on my latest trip, my friend Jim (aka Floyd) (aka Jet Jock Jim) calls me up and wants to come with me.
    Backing up a bit, Jim has a collection of BMWs that he always talks about riding but never seems to have the time. So all of his bikes just sit and deteriorate. But such is life. Who ever has the time to do these types of things because life always seems to have a way to get in the way.
    As a former top gun F-18 pilot and now AA pilot, he has found time due a Covid-19 furlough. With his 1991 R100GS in pieces, it would take a week to put ot back together. And with not much more than a carb rebuilt kit to get it running, he headed down my way to met up with me. Granted the bike has only been run about 5 miles in the past 15 year, it made it down to Southern California without incident. I did comment that he had new tires spooned on the bike but I come to find out those are 15 years old as well. I sigh and think this might be a long and short trip at the same time.
    But Jim is a very good friend of mine and we always have a great time when we are together. In the past 8 years, we have met up several times in various parts of the world to ride bikes together - Netherlands, Italy and of course California. Of course I welcomed him to come along.
    About 10 years ago, Jim got sick.....very sick. I was afraid he might die. Of course, before this time, he was as big a bad ass as they come......fighter pilot, turned real estate tycoon and current commercial airline pilot. But after surviving his illness, he has lost some of his spunk. And of course, the women in his life (daughters, GF and ex wife, to name a few) all have persuaded him to slow down a bit. And that sort of soft way of thinking has taken hold. But part of him still wants to be that bad ass and do the things that his spirit has been calling out for.
    So when he said he wanted to go and ride his old R100GS, I knew it mostly likely wasn't going to happen. We have dreamed a lot of dreams together and that's what the outcome usually becomes.....only dreams. So I was actually surprised when Jim rolled up on his BMW. First that he got it together in 11 days ( he was a day late). And that the Bike actually made it to my place. But what I was most surprised and happy about is that he actually started. I would have been proud if he had made it only one mile on this trip because they say the first step is the longest stride. And I am proud and happy that he took that first step to live his dreams. We both have a few older bikes that we always talk about riding but never find the time. But time is our most value asset and we all need to be better at not wasting it.
    So now we are on day 3 of our trip. We have not even made it in to Mexico yet but we have already achieved our primary goal......we started. We took that first step. Not sure how things will work out. The women in his life think it is the biggest mistake of his life (and of course hate me). And they think his life may be prematurely shortened as a result. But all of his male friends are jealously cheering us on.
    Funny how life is.
    We are just 2 old friends trying to have a bit of fun and check some bucket list items off our lists before it's too late.
    20201130_011127.jpg
  10. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My first thought Haiti?? That was too extreme, But 4+hrs. in the CA DMV, now that is terrifying....
    :jack
    [IN]

Mike B
  11. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer:
    To Jim: FuckinA!
    RC., steved57, Blancr and 2 others like this.
  12. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What part of Mexico are heading to?
  13. 3 bike

3 bike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    go for it guys !!! enjoy
  14. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following..........but where are those dinosaurs?????
    Might have to go there.....pretty cool.
    I rode 1,600 miles once to see a bridge.
  15. rokon140

rokon140 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In
  16. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is not much worse than beaurocracy. Looks like Mexico is learning a few tricks from our government. Colombia is similar, but way behind. Good thing.

That R100GS looks cherry. That model was one of my dream bikes and it is still very cool. The last of carbureted versions.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  17. Krider1

Krider1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cool stuff, good friends more adventures been hard for me to pull off so I'm mostly going solo now a days. I'm in for your ride.
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Day 4
    Up early
    This is the 4th Mexican border we've been at.
    There is no issue with our bodies going across the border.......they don't even stop you to look at passports
    But our motorcycles......that is a different story. We need 3 things
    Insurance......simple enough. Bought on line a week ago
    Tourist permit......also simple. Pay $30 and you get a card.
    The issue is the Temporary Import Permit for our bikes. But the real issue is Mexico wants money. They are trying to make sure we don't import the bikes in to their country without paying the import tax.
    So again, this has nothing to do with our safety or anything personal. It is another example of government bureaucracy dipping their hands in to your pockets. And in this case, we are willing to pay but their bureaucratic system is preventing us from giving them the money that they are demanding. Let's hope the 4th time is a charm. Here we go......
    20201130_152113.jpg

This is a real time report so far.

X
    scudo, jays100, BigDogRaven and 16 others like this.
  19. steved57

steved57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck guys
  20. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IN!!.....Borrego Springs Dinosaurs is a good start!!
    Ginger Beard likes this.