Hasta la vista Winter..heading south as far as we can on a new Rad-icle Edventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 30, 2020.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Not surprising for that far north and rural areas.

Did you find any Sotol or Bacanora?
    That's the regional variant drink you'd expect to see being sold if you looked. I don't think those are Mezcals (agave based) but other types of plants.

Sounds like you guys ended up with aguardiente instead?

Ps you can now sometimes find Sotol in better liquor stores in the US if you want to try some northern hooch.

Had to look it up...part of the asparagus family of plants...mmm I'm drinking my vegetables :-)

https://spy.com/articles/lifestyle/food-drink/what-is-sotol-liquor-where-to-buy-219159/

While Bacanora is actually a Mezcal

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacanora

Mmm, maybe you ended up with some low grade Bacanora?
    steved57 likes this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Awesome!

Remember that Tequila is a sub-type of Mezcal (agave liquor).
    https://www.foodandwine.com/cocktails-spirits/differences-between-tequila-mezcal
    Oddfellow and Zubb like this.
  3. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ and . . . . a little too much Tequila can leave you feeling sorry the next day. A little too much Mezcal will make you wish you were dead. I have tested this thesis and stand by the results. But I still prefer Mezcal around the campfire, or in the margarita.
    pitbull, Cal, Aces 6 and 1 other person like this.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I've been reading about Pox (posh) too.

https://thebookofman.com/skills/drink/pox/

Seems Mexican whiskey is taking off too

https://www.liquor.com/articles/mexican-whiskey/

Wine and craft beer sure have exploded in the last 10 years. Baja has some top award wines now and I posted a huge list of craft breweries to visit in the Is Mexico Safe thread.

Basically just Google Search - cerveza artesanal in any area you're visiting and surprisingly they are all over the country...so that's something to search out.
    mikepeek likes this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Indeed!

Try some Raicilla for a true trippy liquor.
    It now has a legal DOM too.

I first had it from a clear bottle when I visited Yelapa on our honeymoon. I was warned to watch out.

https://vinepair.com/articles/agave-spirit-guide-raicilla/
    Zubb, Trip Hammer and motofshr like this.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I guess if the next day is the concern then we should all be drinking wodka. Maybe the Russians have the perma-drunk all figured out?

https://www.stylist.co.uk/life/reci...ka-wine-gin-spirits-champagne-congeners/42420
  7. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Went to a mezcal bar in Guanajuato where the bartender claimed that most delicious of liquors does not cause hangovers. I didn’t test his theory but damn I love that stuff. Very expensive here in the states.
  8. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tequila is to Mezcal as Champagne is to sparkling wine.
    Champagne can only come from the Champagne region of france and contain only a combination of 3 grape varietals.
    In other words, it is regulated by the government. Tequila is as well but it marketing and branding that has made it famous. But in my opinion, mezcal is better generally. There is both shit Tequila and Mezcal. And you will be hard pressed to find the good stuff too far from the region each is produced. Gringos like George Clooney have made a billion dollars marketing the hell out of some ordinary agave juice, putting it in a fancy bottle and pretending like it is the good shit.
    If you want to try the good shit, you need to come here. If you want to over pay and get average to worse agave liquor, order a shot of any of that stuff you see in 99.9% of bars in America.
    Cloud-9, Animo, roadcapDen and 8 others like this.
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most Bacanoras I've tasted fit this description
  10. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    This^

I enjoy both, but I won't drink more than a couple of mezcals in an evening or I will feel like hell the next day. However I don't suffer the next day after drinking several tequilas, as long as they're good quality tequilas.
    Animo, Zubb and GregDavidL like this.
  11. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    That is strange as I heard the opposite story here. Regardless all will make you sick if like one or the other too much.
    pitbull, #1Fan and RiderRick like this.
  12. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I was 19 I had a bad experience after drinking a bunch of tequila shots followed by a ham and cheese on rye bar sandwich. To this day I cannot handle the smell of rye bread.
    steved57, Animo, advrockrider and 3 others like this.
  13. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. Same here. Like Tequila. Love Mezcal.
    Zubb likes this.
  14. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I look at Tequila and Mezcal as I look at the relationship between Single Malt Scotch and Single Malt Islay Whisky. Mezcal is the islay whisky of the Agave spirit world, except it’s in an inverse relationship. All tequila is technically a Mezcal, the original “Tequila” was “Mezcal de Tequila” or Mezcal from Tequila. Mezcal is the broader category. Islay whisky is comprised of only 8 distilleries (only 5 with the big smoky iodine flavors!) in Scotland but everyone thinks of that flavor when you say the word “Scotch”.
    Why I think of them in a similar fashion is because of the flavor profile, traditional Mezcal is smoky, similar to Islay whisky. Islay whisky is the flavor most people think of when you reference “Scotch”. This is because all of the big blended Scotch whiskies have always used a quality Islay whisky as their “top dressing” in the blend. For the same reason millions of Americans blame Jose Cuervo for hating tequila because they puked up that 51% agave swill they called “gold”, millions of Americans hate “Scotch” because of that iodine tang they tasted when puking up the Cutty Sark. The truth of the matter is if they’d stuck to the good stuff their sensory memory wouldn’t have confused them. Stick to the good stuff!
    Pox (posh) is still too close to moonshine for me. A blend of wheat, corn, panela and sugar cane distillates mostly unaged its close to rocket fuel. It’s claimed to be “pre-Hispanic” but I’d have to question that. I do have an unopened bottle of a new variety though to test again in the liquor closet. I’ll keep you posted!
    mikepeek, Tomaso, levain and 2 others like this.
  15. mart´n

mart´n Viking

Oddometer:
    As a dane, this post made me laugh :rofl
    50 percent of a danes body is built on ryebread - we eat it practically everyday.
    The thought of a rye-bread bar sounds somewhat odd, though....
    Bacchusman likes this.
  16. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    :-)
  17. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The same goes for Mezcal. When Ed visited, we gave him some local hooch, which is made near the capital of Chilpancingo. It does not have such an intense smokey flavor as the Mezcal from Oaxaca. And is made from several varieties of a local wild agave.
  18. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to get to far down the rabbit hole and turn your great RR into a booze thread, but I also think it depends on storage/ageing in tequila and the different process of making tequila vs. Mezcal. As much as I like a really nice anejo tequila, aged in a barrel, I find it hangs me worse, likely due to the tannis it picks up ageing in a barrel. Similarly, the production method that give Mezcal it's smokiness (which I quite like), cooked underground, in pits, over wood, supposedly gives it more tannis than the tequila making process of cooking in ovens.

Perhaps I'm just more sensitive to tannis as red wine will also hang me worse than white wine, but I generally fine good quality silver or blanco tequila or a light reposado hang me far less than an anejo tequila or most mezcals.
    Tomaso likes this.
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Ok moving on from tequila and Mezcal.
    The biggest tree in the world so it's claimed
    Arbol de Tule

20210111_091226.jpg

Her family stops and makes her pose for a picture in front of my bike. Always brings a smile

IMG_20210111_094832_571.jpg

In the city of Oaxaca
    I got a dorm room here for $8 a night. I thought it would be a nice place to meet people. My hostel is very quite. Only one other person staying here. But they do have nice motorcycle parking inside.

20210112_122249.jpg

I spent two days here. I am here now so my RR is current again.

Walked around the town to check out the sights.

20210111_131721.jpg

Street tacos for 50 cents
    I could live on these things

20210111_164517.jpg

And dont forget ice cream
    Tacos and ice cream forever 20210111_132949.jpg
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Small world
    I have been running in to people that I've traveling around the world. Currently I have several friends and fellow travelers here in Mexico.
    One, the weather is perfect this time of year
    And two, it is one or the few countries that is open to foreigners

Any one recognize this girl?

Screenshot_20210113-064253_Messenger.jpg

I gave her a fast ride on my CRF250L in Thailand maybe 3 or 4 years ago on a bumpy little dirt road.

She introduced me to this girl from South Africa. I was intrigued. She bought an SUV and was traveling around Mexico with 3 surfboards. I asked her to come with me on a weekend ride in to the mountains. She said yes. She rented a helmet and bought some Jean's. But an hour before we were set to leave, she backed out.
    Sometimes you can't give away a free Edventure.
    Screenshot_20210107-185142_Samsung Internet.jpg

This next story is amazing.
    I was walking down the street in Oaxaca Centro looking for a place to have a good beer. I see what looked like a bar but turned out to be a hostel. Inside the window, I see this girl and I couldn't help but stare at here because I knew I had seen her before. She looked at me staring at her and she said to me in a voice of disgust.......hey, what do you want. Her Italian accent was the give away. At that moment I knew who it was. I had never actually met her before but we had video chats several times, enough times like I knew her well. I said to her, don't you recognize me? I had a mask on because it is required here in the state of Oaxaca. She asked me to take it off and you should have seen how her eyes lit up. She said, ....oh my God, I can't believe it.
    Out of all ths people in the world, I met Rad's ex GF from last year......and Rad doesn't even know she's here.
    20210111_125448.jpg
    We hung out for a couple of night. Like I said, I had video chatted enough times that I felt like I already knew her. And she is a really cool girl. She is working at the hostel here trying to make enough money to travel some more.
    I went back last night to see her. Of course out of respect for my brother Rad, I didn't put a move on her (but I so wanted to).
    20210111_204852.jpg
    This really cute French girl sat down next to me with beautiful eyes and straight blond hair. We started up a nice conversation. I told some of my stories. I thought I was making some good progress. And then she asked me my age. I told her my age ( minus a few years of course) and she sort of laughed and said, wow, you are the same age as my dad.
    Any one want to buy a used up magic string???? Cheap!!!!