Hasta la vista Winter..heading south as far as we can on a new Rad-icle Edventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    I remember seeing some Disneyland looking Love motels in El Chapo's hometown Culiacan.
    If your timing is good, the bed may still be warm!
  2. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. davidaid

davidaid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeesh!
    Cal likes this.
  4. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most towns have 2 Love Hotels, 1 before and 1 after going into the town. Perfect for moto's, easy and cheap, but hard to translate if want to spend more than a few hours.
    Although not in Mexico, I was riding into Northern Brazil, Sao Luis, sun going down, just lost my headlight so trying to find a place to get off the road. Saw a sign , turned in and approached the gate, not a good part of town. Not speaking Portuguese, and trying to explain, I wanted to just crash, he finally agreed, I never saw his face, since he handed the keys through a pigeon hole, with a stick.

Thanks for this report, you guys are making this fun!
    IMG_20170121_065123068.jpg

Attached Files:

5. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some places dont even have keys. Just lock the door behind you and get down to business......in your case, it was sleep. Good story.
    Foiler and Mikenlbk like this.
  6. vortmax

vortmax Sport Tourer

Oddometer:
    Schwing.

Perhaps a blow up doll in your arms when you enter the hotel would get less of a funny look?
    #1Fan, forgorin, Mikenlbk and 3 others like this.
  7. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I was riding along a road and I noticed at one point it went very close to the Guatemala border. I tried going down one small road and it came up short of the actual border. And then I tired this road and my GPS said I was in. It didn't look like a border because there was no immigration check. There was only a small chain across the road but it was down. I was free to go in. This shot is my bike inside Guatemala.

20210128_132554.jpg

One way to test if I was in actually in Guatemala was to go to the small stores on each side. On the Mexico side, they sold Dos Equis beer. On the Guatemala side, they sold Gallo. Here I am standing right on the actual border. You can see the hillside was cleared and there are white markers delineating the border going up the hill.
    For me, an official border crossing just means having a beer inside the country. I chatted with some Guatemalan people for a bit, drank my beer and headed back in to Mexico. The people told me the road turned in to a paved road in about 10 miles and that I didn't need any stamps or approvals to enter the country. I knew better but theoretically I could have rode all the way to El Salvador most likely without an issue.
    An easy and open border crossing for anyone .

20210128_132408.jpg
    I made my way to the beaches in Chiapas. It was pretty windy here. I needed to find a shelter of some sort to sleep in to protect me from the wind.
    Screenshot_20210206-003241_Instagram.jpg

I found several abandoned beach huts and houses but I liked this one best.

20210129_073553.jpg

These 3 dogs kept me company that night

Screenshot_20210130-184850_Gallery.jpg

I got out of my tent in the morning and walked 10 feet to the other side of the hut. Two seconds later, a large piece of concrete fell from the roof and smashed to the ground between me and my tent. Just 3 seconds earlier, it would have hit me on the head......but it didn't.
    I just stood there thinking about this. And just a week earlier, a giant piece of wood fell from the sky nearly missing my head in Sumidero Canyon.
    Was something out to get me?
    Or is this just a sign of something to come?
  9. WF_Jester

WF_Jester n00b

Oddometer:
    You might want to start wearing the helmet 24/7 !
    OnewayGS, bigdog99, Klinc207 and 6 others like this.
  10. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, if things come in 3's, you just gotta dodge one more falling object and you're good.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  11. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I notice you find these abandoned beach places often. Is this common in Mexico?
    Seems no shortage of company in canine variety - without the ownership issues.
    ShOqUePoT likes this.
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Abandoned places are common everywhere in the world......you just need to have the eye to spot them.
    And stray dogs make a for great nightly companion because they dont have the expectation for marriage or a long term commitment. And they only want your attention and never hint about your financial status.
  13. vortmax

vortmax Sport Tourer

Oddometer:
    Man's best friend.
    locopny and Tomaso like this.
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    It may look abandoned but some one owns that piece of property. If they arrived for the first time in years while you were there they would probably just hand you a beer
    garfey and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  15. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe I should have called it uninhabited rather than abandoned.
    I guess my question boiled down to if it's common (5 in 10 places) or out there if you look (1 in 10 places).
    Either way, it's got to be sorta nice to use it and leave it as you found it for the next traveler/overnighter.
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    From my track record, that is usually what happens. Even the Narcos handed us their tequila
    I am pretty confident that no one has ever camped there before. You can get a hotel for $15 a night with hot water and a lock on your door. But then again, 3 beach dogs won't hang out with you at night
  17. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    You can never go wrong with a rent-a-dog...Night time security.
    garfey, Tomaso, pitbull and 1 other person like this.
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I left the beach and headed for the town of Oaxaca.
    There I would leave my bike for a week and fly to Guadalajara

In North America, this is the closest point where the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans come together. It is called the Isthmus of Tehuantepec and it creates a crazy weather pattern here. 3 miles one way, it is 90 degrees, hot and dry. 3 miles the other way, it is 71 degrees and cold with rain. Plus the Tehuano wind is so strong that is can blow a semi truck over on the road......or in my case, push a motorcycle across two lanes of traffic

The first photo is looking one way and then I turned the camera around and you can see that I was riding in to rain and wind.
    Crazy
    Screenshot_20210208-090500_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20210208-090523_Video Player.jpg
    Highway 175 in Mexico is one of the best roads here. So much fun and beautiful.
    Along the way , there were signs saying to stop and try the best Mezcal from the region.....so I have to see if they were right.
    Screenshot_20210205-113832_Instagram.jpg

It wasn't my favorite
    So I stopped at my favorite
    Mal de Amor and picked up a bottle
    Also they were making Mezcal that day. Because it is Artesanal Mezcal, it is made the traditional way without machines......hard to believe this is 2021.

Screenshot_20210208-090600_Video Player.jpg

I got on an airplane last week
    I met a girl there....it didn't go so well.....so I left. I surprisingly met someone else so it sort of salvaged the trip. I am back in Oaxaca.
    I am not really sure where to fo now.
    Any suggestions?
    I stopped at the Ducati dealer in Guadalajara just for fun
    20210204_120610.jpg
    Foiler, advrockrider, K1DUDE and 24 others like this.
  19. IDWPUNK

IDWPUNK ¡IDAbogado!

Oddometer:
    20 years ago, I spent some time in Mexico City, Queretaro and Hidalgo. There are some fun places in the high Sierras. Check out Tequisquiapan and Bernal, Qro. Lots of hot springs.
    Tomaso and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  20. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you haven’t been to Las Pozas at Xilitila it is worth a stop.

Spelling may be off. Google Sir Edward James gardens.
    simmons1 and flyingdutchman177 like this.