Hasta la vista Winter..heading south as far as we can on a new Rad-icle Edventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 30, 2020.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Riding over the Sierra Juarez mountains, the weather took a dramatic change. It went from semi arid to tropical rain forest.
    The other side was covered in clouds, fog and even some rain. 20210213_145211.jpg
    Pulled over for some delicious shrimp soup at this little restaurant along side the mountain road.
    20210213_140207.jpg

Sometimes there are no hotels around for many miles and you just have to do the best you can do. And this is what separates a vacation from an Edventure. And as usual it turns out to be an experience that no amount of money could ever buy.
    It was getting dark. We were in the middle of nowhere. On our GPS, we saw that we were 15 kms from this big lake so we rode that direction taking the chance that there might be a place for us to sleep there. We arrived at dusk and found a only few restaurants on the lake, all of which were closed except this little beer bar. There was no electricity to this area, so we found 4 men and one kid inside all drinking beer in the dark. We ordered a beer and struck up a conversation. We asked if it would be possible to sleep inside the bar because rain was expected later that night and they said it would be no problem. They had no food to sell but they were able to cook up some canned beans that we were carrying with us.
    I put my tent up later and slept well until 4 am the next morning when the little town came alive. And that is a whole other story. IMG_20210217_132425_970.jpg
    IMG-20210214-WA0019.jpg
    Check out the videos on my IG and FB
  2. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You and marketplace are the only reason I still have FB access.

I guess I take for granted that there is electricity 'everywhere'...that has establishments I mean.
    flyingdutchman177 and #1Fan like this.
  3. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    popcorn crunching
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  4. AKpilot

AKpilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I am a little late to the party here but reading this reminded me of my wife and I’s first time to Mexico on a bike in 2012 and having nearly the same thing happen to us.

We were in a very remote area northwest of Parral when we were forced over by 2 new dodge trucks full of rag tag dressed heavily armed guys and gals. They surrounded us at gun point, forced us off our KLR, rummaged through all our stuff all while shouting questions at us. Did I mention the gunpoint thing?

They eventually got bored with us dumb gringos and put their guns down ad were even going to let us go when I pulled out my camera and in my best Spanglish asked for a photo. It was like pulling a gun on them, they dove behind doors, guns came up and lots of screaming. That’s when I calmly said no no I would like you to take a photo of us as I handed their leader the camera. That calmed them down to the point they were kind of chuckling amongst themselves. Just before the jefe took the photo I motioned toward his m4 that was now slung around his neck. He handed the same weapon he was just pointing at me without unloading or anything. Then one of the gals of the group ran up and thrust an m16 in my wife’s chest to hold.

I still get a laugh out of the 2 dumb gringos gingerly holding these automatic weapons with a scared to death look on their face everytime it comes across my Facebook memories.

As soon as we got out of there we drove straight to Parral, pulled into the Howard Johnson, locked the door and ordered Dominos Pizza hoping that these little slices of America would somehow transport us back to the United States that very night. We have since spent many many months, even years on several occasions cruising some of the most remote areas of Mexico and the world and have never had anything close to that happen again.
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The little fishing village was quiet all night but at 4:30 next morning, the fishing boats were starting up and the town came to life. Even though I didn't get enough sleep, it was a cool experience to share this moment with the people from the area. Thirty years ago, they built a dam that created this lake. The only way to get to the houses on the other side was by boat. So this area was the busy port by day that the people used to move from one side of the lake to the other. It drizzled all night so we were happy to have a shelter to keep us dry. In the morning, the owner of the bar made some coffee for us to start our day.

IMG_20210218_083944_115.jpg

We got an early start. We had a long ride planned for that day. We wanted to take the hwy 179 back to Oaxaca. We asked the fishermen and one guy told us it was a good road, but I didn't really believe him. People want to be helpful sometimes when they really don't know.
    It rained on us for the first hour of the ride. When we turned on to hwy 179, the pavement condition deteriorated and the road width narrowed....not a good sign for things to come as we headed up in to the mountains.
    With in about 3 miles , the road turned to dirt. I wasnt surprised to see a dirt road but I was surprised how quickly the road became a dirt road. At first the road was wide and somewhat graded but as it climbed in to the mountains, it turned to a bumpy two track narrow dirt and sometimes muddy dirt road.

IMG-20210214-WA0039.jpg

The views were amazing and the riding was actually super fun, even on big heavy Adventure bikes.
    IMG_20210214_174949_649.jpg
    We rode for about 4 hours and only saw one other car the entire way.
    IMG_20210215_112006_349.jpg
    But after all of that time and the challenging riding, we rounded a corner and there was a cable strung across the road. A man and woman was there and they told us that we needed to turn back. They didn't want us to ride thru their little village because they were protecting it from Covid-19.
    We didn't want to turn back......we couldn't. We needed to make it back to Oaxaca that night and there simply was no other way.
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    We pleaded with the old man to let us thru in a nice way, but we were not going to take no for an answer. Once we convinced him that we would pass thru the village and not stop for gas, food or anything, he let us pass.
    This turned out to be only 1 of 8 Covid-19 roadblocks we would encounter that day. The 3rd one was the toughest.
    We were told that if we wanted to pass thru, we could not stop for anything. And they had to spray down the bikes and our bodies with God only knows what from an industrial sized sprayer.
    Well we ain't turning back now.....go ahead and spray away. IMG_20210216_142105_435.jpg
    IMG-20210214-WA0023.jpg

I told them they missed the dirtiest spot here......and everyone busted up laughing. We must have had 50 people around us watching it all.
    IMG-20210214-WA0032.jpg
    20210214_120716.jpg
    Ok it wasn't really a lie. But we did make one unplanned stop. For the past 4 hours, we only saw one other car the entire way. And then while going out of town, Rad nearly hit this truck head on. He actually clipped the front fender with his panniers and it sent him to a small ditch.

Screenshot_20210219-153336_Gallery.jpg
    That was the only stopped we made and proceeded to talk our way thru 5 more Covid-19 check points that day.
  7. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Hope your bikes and gear don’t start disintegrating from the spray down you got. Those villagers may seem paranoid, but I doubt they have any serious medical facilities or chance in hell of getting vaccinated. And they are no more paranoid than Gunnison, Co was last year.
    Burro driver, #1Fan, simmons1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Or worse yet, the 'Magic String'

Pinche Rad survives!
    steved57, Golden955 and #1Fan like this.
  9. cycle rider

cycle rider scooter

Oddometer:
    grillos
  10. codebot

codebot Long time lurker, n00b poster

Oddometer:
    I know it's only been a week or so. However I hope our intrepid explorers are simply having a great time. Too busy or too off grid to update this great RR.
    gr8grins, Golden955 and Mofrid like this.
  11. gr8grins

gr8grins Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto.

Fingers crossed for a big photo story dump from my favorite adventurers and story tellers when they return from their current top secret twin unicorn hunting Edventure.
    dano619 likes this.