Hasta la vista Winter..heading south as far as we can on a new Rad-icle Edventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 30, 2020.

1. GregDavidL

GregDavidL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks that you were able to document your story.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  2. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your RR is been elervated to new heights, as usual!

sorry
  3. Samanjo

Samanjo Long timer

Oddometer:
    What an effort.
    Well done!!
  4. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your climb. Great accomplishment and well transcribed.
  5. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Having a hotel room meant it was an opportunity to wash some or my clothes in the sink.
    I went up to the roof of the hotel to dry my laundry and there it was .....Pico Orizaba. You can see it from everywhere.
    20210326_095035.jpg

I have to tell you.....the police are pretty cool here. They dont bust your balls every time you do something wrong like they do in some other country that I am very familiar with. I pass them safely over a double yellow and they don't care. I saw some police enforcing a no drinking alcohol law.....they didn't issue tickets. Both sides explained their purpose and reasons and everyone had a mutual understanding in the end.
    In this photo, I wanted to take a photo of the church and I made a u turn to go back on a way street for about 20 meters. I policeman blew his whistle and told me I was doing something wrong. And I told him I just wanted a photo here. And then he surprised me and told me that i should move my bike forward a bit more in to the crosswalk that i purposely stopped short of so i could get a better photo.
    For the most part, the police are here to enforce the laws ......with in reason. And they do it with a bit more respect.
    I have noticed the same type of thing in Europe and Thailand too.
    Just saying.
    Don't want to start any sort of riot. Just my observation.
    Of course I did get roused by the "police" in Chiapas. So some foul stuff does happen here. And there are a lot of good cops everywhere..
    Ok I will just say it. I am scared of the police in the US. Not that they will kill me. I fear them because I don't want to get my balls busted if I do something wrong even it is not intentional 20210326_124755.jpg
    ChadADV, Golden955, imnothng and 35 others like this.
  6. concours

concours WFO for 48 years

Oddometer:
    Great read.... thank you for this. I couldn't stop reading.
    2 weeks no comms..... well, it's pretty obvious you are in a competition. I hope it works out.
  7. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    awesome accomplishment and a well deserved reward of a real bed. Can only imagine the feeling of completing a task like that. Thanks for sharing your journey to the top.
    And here I was patting myself on the back for moving a small truckload of boxes up one flight of stairs.
    Foiler likes this.
  8. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome achievement on reaching the top of Pico de Orizaba :clap
  9. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    That was an awesome climb. Ed. I've been sharing your report around and want to tell them about that India mtn climb where you spent a week and went backwards to the normal traffic. Can you give me a link to that episode?
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    So the Edventure continues. Just can't stop the excitement.
    I am in a little town in the Veracruz state called Jalcomulco.
    Never heard of it before. Never had any plans to come here, but this is exactly why I don't travel with a set schedule.
    If I kept a schedule, I would never have had the opportunity to double back to climb Orizaba and I wouldn't have had the opportunity to come to Jalcomulco.
    I am here for two reasons. One, is was recommended by these guys.....
    Screenshot_20210328-214053_Video Player.jpg
    I met them in Oaxaca. I post a couple of videos on my IG because I was so impressed with this musical talents
    And now I have spent the last 3 nights being welcomed in to their home and by ther ultra cool family. It feels like a surfer community but it is a river and not a beach.
    20210327_095757.jpg
    The second reason I am here is because it is the hub for white water rafting in Mexico. I figured it would be another opportunity for Edventure.
    The thing is, rafting doesn't really excite me because ...... for me it is just like a ride at Disneyland. But kayaking the river would be something I wanted to try.....because it is a challenge.
    If you have following my trip RTW, have done a lot of whitewater kayaking. But they have usually been with an inflatable self billaging kayak. The ones here have the skirt and you are so to know how to do a roll. I havent done it before and because of that, the tour operators didn't want to take me. Fortunately my friends had a kayak and the equipment to lend me. They said it will be fine......only class 3 Rapids downstream. Class 3 is pretty tough. I have done class 4 before but that was a little over my head......but survived.
    Some one was going to go with me but then he backed out because of work commitments. I still wanted to go even if I didn't know the river and the way. I figured I survived Orizaba......I will be fine on the river alone.
    So I set off down river in my kayak and immediately realized........I am in over my head on this one.
    Sorry no photos. I don't have a photographer that follows me around. I don't have any fancy equipment to make me look better than I really am. And I spend 99% of my time on my Adventures and not producing videos so I can win followers on IG pretending to do stuff and then editing it all so I can score free shit (sorry but all this fake stuff really bums me out). They should at least have to add a caption saying it is a professional rider on a closed course that has practiced that stunt 100 times and then doesnt have to pay for all the shit that gets broken in the process.
    .........ok sorry, I digress.
    The Rapids were tough only because it was the dry season and there were a ton of rocks that I couldnt see or help to hit. And each rock was an opportunity to turn me upside down. Because I was alone, I couldn't afford to separate from the kayak and watch it float out of sight and in to the Gulf of Mexico.
    I am not going to spell out all the details but I was looking forward to my little boat ride to end quickly. But once I set out, my first opportunity to bail was 7 kms in. No turning back and no way to quit. And I really didn't have a clue what was ahead of me. I trusted those guys that their was no 100 meter waterfall around the bend......but sometimes it seemed like it.
    So long story short, I made it the 7 kms and pulled out of the water. I got stuck on some rocks once and flooded the kayak. I also got to a small waterfall because I missed a better opportunity to go an easier way and stopped the boat before, jumped out, let the kayak go over the falls and then I jumped in myself and swam after it.
    Once I was out of the water, i needed away back. Tried to flag down a couple of trucks on the small road back to Jalcomulco but no one wanted to help. Even a taxi didnt want to put the kayak on the roof.
    I had a plan that might just work.
    I hopped on a bus and for 50 cents, got a ride back. Then I got my BMW GS1200 and rode back to get the kayak.
    And here's what I did.

IMG_20210328_155902_332.jpg

What other bike can do it all like this?
    Back to Jalcomulco

Screenshot_20210328-160302_Gallery.jpg
    On my Instagram page, I tagged both
    #waterwaterrafting
    #bmwmotorrad
    In the same post.......probably never done before.....hahaha
    Screenshot_20210328-160037_Gallery.jpg
    It was actually scary riding the bike like this. It took up more than a lane and I had to keep a reminder to stay in the middle of my lane and watch for things that might collide with each end of the kayak
    Screenshot_20210328-160249_Gallery.jpg
    Again, sorry ....no photos in the kayak
    But if you want to get an idea what it was like,it felt like this
    Screenshot_20210328-222120_Gallery.jpg
    Ok more fake news.......don't hate me.
    :-)
  11. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah! Why I have not stop reading your RR it is real!
    You have done some amazing stuff and seen a lot of cool places. Keep it going. Love to see the interior and edges of Mexico the way you are.
    Great job!
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I left my friends and Jalcomulco this morning and set off an my our version of silent meditation.......where I remain silent with my thoughts and twist the throttle on 1200 ccs of boxer-twin power. For me, everything becomes more clear when I am riding my motorcycle on some beautiful 2 lane blacktop and letting my mind refocus.
    It had been nearly 2 weeks since Andrea left for her silent meditation with her friend. And even though the meditation finished 3 days ago, I have yet to hear back from her.
    This whole time, I had been staying close enough to Oaxaca so I could return within a day or two on the bike to see if she wanted me to come back. But considering the circumstances and after today on the bike, I decided that I need to just carry on and do my own thing. I am heading north.
    I am not saying I don't want to see her again but I think her actions are speaking more loudly than her lack of words......probably both are my clue.
    Also, made a decision today that will affect my plans for several months to come.
    A certain Captain that goes by the name of Moose, asked me if I wanted to help out on his boat, by the name of the Penguin, in Alaska starting toward the end of May for 2 months. I told him ......aye aye Captain. I never thought i would do that again, but at the moment, it seems like it will not only be the thing I need to do, it actually sounds sort of fun.
    That will be a silent meditation that will last for 7 or 8 weeks - cut off from communications from the rest of the world.
    I have nearly 2 more months in Mexico before I need to be back in the US and I have a lot of fun things planned.
    I said before that I was 100% sure I would see her again and I still believe that. Just as I have been to Thailand and Europe nearly every year for the past 8 years, I plan to return to Oaxaca annually as well. Maybe even set up a motorcycle tour business. Rad feels the same about Oaxaca as he also shares my passion for the State. And when we do meet, I am not sure if it will be a kiss greeting or just shaking hands, I can't predict. I just know, that I put a 100 percent effort in to trying to make things work between us. But it takes two.....not just one.
    So even though I lost I still feel like i am winning. Because there is no shame or regret in losing if you feel like you gave it your all. That is mark of a winner.
    I tried. And if I hadn't tried, then that is the mark of a loser.
    Time to look forward and stop looking back.
    Right now I am in a pretty little village in the mountains called Cuetzalan.
    The Edventure continues Screenshot_20210329-153130_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210329-153114_Gallery.jpg
    ChadADV, imnothng, Tomaso and 41 others like this.
  13. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Working/fishing in Alaska again eh?
    Have fun up dere, we'll miss you but in the meantime bring on the rest of the "Hasta la vista"!
    I'll tour with y'all next winter down there....
    Thanks for all!
    Blind Mule and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I found this leather motocycle jacket for Andrea a couple of weeks ago. I was going to surprise her with it. It would have looked good on her. I had it strapped to the back or my bike since I left Oaxaca. Now what am I going to do with it? It looks cool. But the sleeves are too short for me
    It has patches of
    BMW
    Honda
    Suzuki
    Harley Davidson
    Ferrari
    NOS
    Nascar
    Etc.
    Who ever made it did a real nice job and liked fancy toys....ja ja ja
    Screenshot_20210329-163433_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20210329-163555_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20210329-163209_Instagram.jpg
  15. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ..Vest? :dunno

Congrats on Orizaba BTW!
    Aces 6 and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  16. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I was watching The Miami Open tennis tournament and one of the players made an interesting statement after loosing his match. "You learn a lot from each defeat but you do not learn much from a victory"
    cappt, flyingdutchman177 and locopny like this.
  17. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    You prolly missed this...so I ask again....

That was an awesome climb. Ed. I've been sharing your report around and want to tell them about that India mtn climb where you spent a week and went backwards to the normal foot traffic. Can you give me a link to that episode?
  18. ki_ote

ki_ote Cindi Jo Admirer

Oddometer:
    It's weird that Pinche Rad was supposedly busy with work the same time Andrea went on a secret retreat with "a friend".
    I would ditch both of them.
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Omg, that is funny.
    I would think it would be true but I've seen photos of her "friend" and that dude is older than me......ja ja ja
    #1Fan and ki_ote like this.
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    No I saw your question. I was just being too lazy to search thousands of pages in my Ride Reports to find it.
    But here it is since you asked so nicely

https://advrider.com/f/threads/around-the-world-ed-venn-ture-the-next-800-days.1000417/page-410

Page 410 on my Next 800 Edvennture (spelled with two N's back then)

I actually like to go back and look at some of the photos I posted way back then.
    I see i was quite the ladies man back then when my magic string had it's full power. The one Russian chick from Goa is or was in Tulum Mexico. I could have met up with her but I stayed in Oaxaca longer than I expected......ja ja ja

Also make sure they read thru page 412 to get Jet Jock Jim's review of that epic trek in the Himalayas