Hasta la vista Winter..heading south as far as we can on a new Rad-icle Edventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Ed. I did find all your reports when I searched, and skimmed that report today, but since I wasn't sure it was in that one, I guess I jumped over that week.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  2. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Foolish reader! Don’t you know by now that you can’t “skim” Ed’s reports?? If you miss one page, you could miss a run in with the drug runners or a unicorn or two! Carry on Ed. The best is yet to come!
    Bt10 and borderlinebob like this.
  3. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The kid here my hotel couldn't help stop looking at my motorcycle. He seemed to love it.
    I think I found someone that will appreciate and love this jacket.
    Not giving him my motorcycle though.....I need it to take me to the next Edventure
    20210330_110607.jpg
  4. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 10 years, or so from now you probably will realize that you affected the future of this kid in a very positive way. What a great gesture. :thumb
    eakins, Tomaso, advrockrider and 15 others like this.
  5. cappt

cappt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That kids going have a nice bike to go with great jacket someday
  6. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    The "Kid" will get the girl. JSNS
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    And then he will give her the jacket.
    We will call it the Magic Jacket.
    Behold the power of the Magic Jacket.
    RiderRick, steved57, Tomaso and 11 others like this.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I was planning to hike up La Malinche and bag another 4000+ meter peak but Mexico has many of the National parks shut down.
    Even the two peaks last week were closed but fortunately for me, there was no one there to tell me to leave.
    So let me get this straight......
    I can hike by myself to a remote mountain top peak in a big empty forest but I can go to a crowded bar and drink tequila all day long.
    Funny thing is.....once this Covid-19 thing has passed, I think we have a new bigger worry to be concerned with.
    IMG_20210330_175712_591.jpg
    So what am I going to do now????
    Actually i have something up my sleeve. I am pretty good at making lemonade out of lemons.
    RiderRick, Cloud-9, Foiler and 22 others like this.
  9. Manifold

Manifold Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know much but I know this about dating women 15-20 years younger than me. They ain't in it for the long haul, unless you are loaded. And most don't want a hobo lifestyle. They are hard wired for security, kids, comfort, social group, family.

Enjoy the memories of a romantic interlude on the road, Jack. Now git climbing.
    PJPR01, simmons1, BillUA and 3 others like this.
  10. Adventure_Mike

Adventure_Mike Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was incredibly sweet. Made my morning.
  11. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ed, glad you summited and got back down okay. Altitude sickness can hit fast, so I think you made the right call to descend as quickly as you could. I've read your reports for years, and when I tell others about your edventures I say that you are a guy who understands the risks, weighs them, compares them to how you want to approach life, and then makes a decision on what to do next---living consciously--not sleepwalking. Whether that's lines up with your personal philosophy or not, I find your edventures very inspiring. By showing us what can be done the way you do it, you help us expand the possibilities we see for our own adventurous travel. Thanks!
  12. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    I wonder if Andrea was reading this RR whilst at the "retreat"?:photog

Keep on truckin' Ed.
  13. motomrider

motomrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, took me a while to catch up and as usual you have experienced more in a couple of months than I have the last couple of years

I have tried to explain your trips (or should I say lifestyle) to family and friends, but they rarely get it. I had a silent chuckle when I read that sentence...
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I think it is why I am still converting oxygen in to carbon dioxide. Some of my risk may seem reckless but I feel I have control over the task at hand.
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    This is what happens when your GPS tells you to continue straight and against your better judgment, you obey it.
    Screenshot_20210331-195722_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210331-195823_Gallery.jpg
    I spent an hour trying to dig myself out of the mud but it just kept sinking in deeper.
    I needed help
    And help arrived
    But he didn't want to get his shoes muddy
    20210331_165057.jpg
    It took 6 of us to get my huge moto out of that little mud hole.
    Point to self, get a lighter bike
    20210331_170146.jpg
  16. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did your helpers teach you any new Spanish curse words?
  17. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you pay them back in mezcal from the rolling wet bar?
    Johnny McSmack, eakins, Bgunn and 4 others like this.
  18. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing you made it worth their time. good karma
  19. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you try removing all luggage, pushing the bike over on the starboard cylinder, throwing rocks/sticks/grass/junk into the hole, etc?
    It's a rhetorical question, as obviously help was close enough to provide more man-power instead.
    Man I wish my NavV would show single track as a route suggestion from point A to B but that's never going to happen up here!
    As for Unicorns; they do exist and yours will appear when and where it's time has come. :nod

Thanks a TON for posting up your ongoing saga for us armchair riders chained to a job and a mortgage.
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I love all the comments.....rolling wet bar.....ha ja ha ja
    I have used that technique before (laying the bike on its side) to get unstuck but it wouldn't work here.
    The bike in the photos in actually resting on the right cylinder head on the embankment. On the left side is pure wet swamp. It wouldn't work here.
    I spent an hour digging it out of the mud but it was like quicksand so the more I dug the deeper it sunk until it was resting on the bellypan.
    The only option was muscle power.
    The 5 guys actually pushed and pulled it out without any power from the bike. The rear wheel was just spinning uselessly in the muck and flinging all over them.
    Look at their shirts.
    Sorry dudes
    Pero Gracias
    Otherwise I would still be there