HAT 2019 (Hard Alpi Tour) Sanremo > Sestriere

Discussion in 'Europe' started by MikeMikeOnABike, Mar 19, 2019.

1. MikeMikeOnABike

MikeMikeOnABike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Has anyone done the HAT from Sanremo > Sestriere before? Im planning on riding out from England this year to take part (the solo rider one) and wondered if anyone has done it before? Any tips, ideas trip reports?!

Secondly, is anyone planning on going out this year for the event?

Many thanks,

Mike
  2. GiorgioXT

GiorgioXT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't feel the attraction to this kind of things : one will ride in some of the best places of alps , with endless panoramas and lot of things to do , see and taste .. and be pressed riding all night.
    The same ride I would do in 3-4 days, stopping in mountain huts for food and lodging, maybe with hikes to see fortresses and looking points ...
    glitch_oz likes this.
  3. MikeMikeOnABike

Oddometer:
    My appeal to this event is getting access to tracks i would no be able to find myself, in relative safety of being around others and hopefully meeting some interesting people along the way. I'm trying to tie it in to a trip to Italy to meet my better half around Lake Como area also - Few days riding, few days relaxing :)
  4. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Haven't done it myself, but interested also. Subscribed, and still considering to join if places available.
  5. yamtastic

yamtastic Safety 3rd

Oddometer:
    Myself and a group of friends have entered, we're heading down and spending a week in the area to do some riding after the event itself as well.
  6. MikeMikeOnABike

Oddometer:
    That's brilliant! I'll be heading down solo as my pals arne't really one for that type of event and i'm meeting the other half after the event. Which one are you signed up for? The Team one?
  7. yamtastic

yamtastic Safety 3rd

Oddometer:
    Yes the Classic I believe it's called. If you have a look at Bodgetape Adventures on Youtube they did it last year.
    We're looking to camp nearby for the week.
  8. GiorgioXT

GiorgioXT Long timer

Oddometer:
    HAT is done all on open to public dirt roads , one could do the same just following a map .
    Differently to other parts of Italy - like Apennines and central italy where on an hill you may have dozens trails to choose - on Alps the traces are mostly very clear

As I said, for a local , or someone that rides these parts from several years, the "raid" concept of pushing yourself to limit (riding 18+ hours is not easy) could be attractive , for me is like having the woman of your dreams and doing just a quickie ...
    glitch_oz likes this.
  9. ToothsterUK

ToothsterUK n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone on the thread,
    We have 2 teams of 3 entered from the UK into the classic. Pulling into Sanremo in about 2 hours. See you there!
    MikeMikeOnABike likes this.
  10. MikeMikeOnABike

Oddometer:
    Just checking in so to not leave an endless post! What a great event; well organised, great route, nicely challenging what with the long days of concentrating on navigating and not to plummet off of a mountain and most importantly, friendly people to talk to from all over Europe. Well worth the long trip from England :)
    Oyabun likes this.
  11. budda10r

budda10r n00b

Oddometer:
    I also did it this year with Yamtastic, it was fabulous, easily the best thing I've done on a motorcycle. Barring the usual KTM 950 Adv fuel pump faff.
    MikeMikeOnABike likes this.