Hatfield McCoy Garmin GPS Compatible Custom Trail Maps

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by fasteddy, May 17, 2007.

1. fasteddy

fasteddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Southern Ontario, Canada ( Niagara Peninsula )
    I've just completed building and proofing a complete set of custom trail maps for the Hatfield McCoy Trail system. These maps can be uploaded to your Garmin GPS receivers. These maps can be also installed into your existing Mapsource software for upload to your GPS unit or can be directly uploaded to your GPS reciever with software included with the maps package. I'm trying to see if there is enough interest in these maps to distribute them. You can PM me if your interested

Ed..
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you selling these maps or sharing them? I'm interested in the latter, in case I ever make it that far south from here.
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    There are several trail riding areas that compose the 'system'.
    Free maps are available at the HQ and at vendor locations where permits are sold. Maps can be printed from their website.
  4. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    So that means you are selling these?
  5. fasteddy

Oddometer:
    I've over 4 months work into these, plus proofing etc. Please understand these are not GPS tracks but actual trail maps. Yes I should be selling them at around $100.00 for the set, but the maker of the shareware software I used to create the maps will not let me sell them without paying very high licensing fees. If there's enough interest in the maps I'll set up a webpage for all to download them.
    PM me for more details if your interested.

Heres a screenshot from a garmin GPS with these maps loaded.
    View attachment 116294

Ed..
  6. 2TrakR

2TrakR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ed - I have a licensed (commercial) copy of cGPSMapper. I'd be willing to compile/generate the maps for you and let you sell them. Caveat would be they'd have my company name on 'em.

Not suggesting this, but throwing it out there as an option for you. Feel free to give me a shout if you want to discuss it. jvalley@mac.com
  7. fasteddy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, email sent!!

Ed..
  8. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:

Hi Jeramey:wave Welcome to the asylum.

Still playing with your maps. Hope to make it up for a club ride in June.

Dave

P.S. Jeramey did a GREAT set of Michigan trail maps and distributed them to our club as test dummies. They work beautifully.
  9. Python423

Python423 TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer:
  10. sherpa

sherpa ...Robert

Oddometer:
    anything ever come of this?....I'm interested.....
  11. Python423

Oddometer:
    i emailed the poster about it, and he has quit responding. If anyone can supply the tracks I can get an overlay made.
  12. Python423

Oddometer:
    You never respond to PM's
  13. Coyote X

Coyote X Lazy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is a trail near the hatfield mccoy trails but not part of the official trails so it is unregulated :)

Once you get on top of the mountains there are probably 50 miles of trails to explore and you can camp, drink, or whatever you want once you get to the top. Just take your time on the climb up the mountains because it can be pretty rough on a bike without someone on an atv to help get the bikes up the trails sometimes.

Pull it up on google earth and you will see how much there is there to explore once you get to the top. If you don't like the trail up from the valley to the top that is on the log file, go about 50-100 ft further up the valley center and there is a road crossing the creek to the left that also gets up to the top.

There are tons of other trails around here so now that I have a gps logger I will start building up a huge list of trails everyone might want to explore.

Attached Files:

14. Truckman

Truckman The almighty Beavis

Oddometer:
    I have about 75 miles mapped from the Indian Ridge area just outside of Northfork,WV. and most of those trails are the "outlaw" trails that are not part of the H-M system connecting to Pinnacle Creek.I ran them all on my KLX in street trim except the gearing (Kenda Trakmaster II's for tires).The trails are very tough in some areas so i don't recommend anything big and heavy (KLR 650,BMW,DRZ650)
    An XR650L would do it i think with enough body behind it and the right tires.

The key is to start at the Ashland General store and have a sandwich there (killer food) and then head back to northfork and then make the 180 turn at the stop sign...follow that till you hit dirt ....bear to the right and go downhill and not up....If you go uphill (I did) it is ALOT of mud as a dozer just blazed a track over the mountain all the way to Windmill Gap.....the atvs overheated on this climb as you end up at almost 3100 feet (from a start of about 900 feet) elevation.great riding.....also check out the wagon wheel bar and grill....12 miles of dirt to get there without much of any hardtop at all.great burgers and plenty of cold ones.:D
    If you just want blacktop then just run the road from Northfork up past the Ashland KOA towards Windmill Gap....one of the best roads i have ever run!!!! nice and twisty and would be awesome on a sporty bike.lot's of 10 mph corners (posted) but real knee draggin' action could be had here.:eek1
  15. Truckman

Truckman The almighty Beavis

Oddometer:
    how come the file won't convert??? I've tried a few different ways to convert your GPX file to Garmin .GDB format and no luck.
    I usually use this program with perfect results.
    http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/

Any help? or is there a glitch here because it's always worked for me without any problems.:huh
  16. Coyote X

Coyote X Lazy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used that program link to convert it from a kml file to gpx so it should load up this time :)

Attached Files:

17. 2TrakR

2TrakR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Something did come out of it. I'll post more here when it's ready, if Ed doesn't beat me to it.
    Real Soon Now.
  18. fasteddy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your interest in our little project, the maps will be available real soon as I have partnered with VVMapping.com ( http://www.vvmapping.com/orvtrail.html ). This is the fellow who has done all of the wonderful mapping for the Michigan ORV system.
    We are in the process of setting up the software so that you will be able to install the maps trouble free.
    The package will include all the riding areas in the Hatfield McCoy system including the new one at Indian Ridge. These maps are compatible with most Garmin GPS receivers and can be also installed into your current Mapsource software.

NOTE: The maps are available as of Nov 25/2007. Thanks to 2TRAKR the maps have been compiled and can be installed directly into Mapsource and/or uploaded directly to your Garmin receiver. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.

Ed....
  19. fasteddy

Oddometer:
    Well it took a while but the Hatfield McCoy GPS trail maps are ready to go. These maps will only work with Garmin GPS receivers You can access them on the following website.

http://www.vvmapping.com

All of the trail systems are included along with trailheads and nearby highways. Now you can know where you are on the trail, where the parking lot is, which roads are near by and even which trail intersection is coming up.

This map installer is designed to integrate into an existing copy of Garmin's MapSource. Included is SendMap, a program that allows you to load the maps to your GPS without having MapSource installed. For more info about these maps go to http://www.vvmapping.com/

Ed...
  20. SmashingPumpkins

SmashingPumpkins Dinah-Mo-Humm

Oddometer:
    I have/use many of vvmapping's products. Never had a problem with any of it. If you pick up one of these H/M maps you're going to be very pleased.