Have Helmet, Will Travel: Shakedown Day 00

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ogribike, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Ogribike

Ogribike Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spent the night in Whitefish, great town, relaxing and a good place to start your Glacier National Park tour. It was a nice ride to the park passing through some nice roads and the town of Dead Horse. I arrived at the park and was taking my welcome to the park picture, when two young ladies pulled up and offered to take my picture in exchange for theirs next to the sign. Nice girls and just having a great time.

Road to Glacier NP.
    [​IMG]

Welcome to Glacier NP.
    [​IMG]

Test shot after dropping the camera, good thing it bounced off of my boot.
    [​IMG]

I headed into the park and was told I could only ride in 16 miles of the 50 mile Going To The Sun Highway. To me it was better than bypassing a great park. I rode along and saw a lot of great sights, I know my pictures do not do justice but I try to portray as best I can.

Heading in.
    [​IMG]

Lake McDonald.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

McDonald Creek.
    [​IMG]

Glacier National Park.
    [​IMG]

End of the road.
    [​IMG]

Red Car Tours.
    [​IMG]

Snack Break.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice Bike!
    [​IMG]

After leaving the park I started my head east. I stopped for a shot at the Continental Divide and a shot of East Glacier that is located in the Blackfoot Reservation.

Continental Divide, all down hill from here.
    [​IMG]

East Glacier National Park.
    [​IMG]

Last look back.
    [​IMG]

Coming Attractions.
    [​IMG]

After that it was riding across the Northern Plains and stopping in the last town of any significant on US-2 before North Dakota, Havre. I inquired about the town name from a local while having supper. It is pronounced ‘Have Her’, named after two men fighting over a saloon girl, one finally said ‘Have Her’, and there you go. As you know a lot of towns out west have histories like this.

They are great and they are plain.
    [​IMG]

Well folks another day done, tomorrow I should be in the Dakotas.

It was a 300 mile day, feeling great!
    [​IMG]
    Jim Moss IBA #8426 MOA #32559
    No account saddle bum.
  2. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Ogribike,

Sweet report. Love your photos. Keep 'em coming. I just rode many of the same places.:super I like the bike as well!
  3. Ogribike

Oddometer:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>I headed out to the Big Sky and east on the High-Line as they call US-2 in these parts, not much scenery but I took a shot of the Bear Paw foothills. I also came across a few miles of rough road, the State tore up US-2 all at once for resurfacing.

Bear Paw Foothills, Big Sky.
    [​IMG]

US-2 Big Sky.
    [​IMG]

I stopped in the town of Saco for a break and found some interesting history. The town had refurbished an old Clack service station to be used as a rest stop for weary Route 2 travelers. H. Earl Clack had a string of these stations stretching across the High-Line of Montana. Clack was one of the first stations to use the flat roof design along with the circle canopy over the pumps. In the 1950’s Husky Oil acquired Clack assets. This example is one few remaining in the state.

H. Earl Clack Station, Saco, MT.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pay-N-Save Store, Saco, MT.
    [​IMG]

Big Dome Hotel, Saco, MT.
    [​IMG]

It was on to North Dakota and now I only have one state left to visit, Alaska. On the way I stopped at the Theodore Roosevelt National Park, this is part of the Northern Badlands. There were a couple of buffalo roaming around but I kept a wide berth.

Welcome to North Dakota, only one state left!
    [​IMG]

North Dakota rest stop.
    [​IMG]

Welcome to Theodore Roosevelt National Park.
    [​IMG]

Teddy's Park.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leaving Teddy's Park.
    [​IMG]

Nice Bike!!!
    [​IMG]

After leaving the park, it was south to a strange four lane road called an Interstate, it has been a while since I saw one of these creatures. I made it to Bismarck for the evening and will head further south and east in the morning.

It was a 537 mile day.
    [​IMG]
    No account saddle bum.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  4. anomad

anomad not in storage

Oddometer:
    Amazing pictures and report! Thanks for sharing.:clap
  5. Ogribike

Oddometer:
    As I left Bismarck, ND this morning I found I was still following the Lewis & Clark Trail along the Missouri. I chose Hwy 1804 to ride, it is a lesser road, little to no traffic and 65 speed limit. Great way to make time, it wasn’t long before I found myself in South Dakota, the scenery didn’t change much but the road situation remained the same. Some time in SD I found I was on the Outlaw Trail and there were no longer signs for the L & C Trail. So I took the safety loop off of the hammer and kept an eye out.

North Dakota Morning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pleasant Surprise 77777!
    [​IMG]

South Dakota Doesn't Look Much Different.
    [​IMG]

South Dakota Break.
    [​IMG]

Not Much Around.
    [​IMG]

Soon I found my self entering Nebraska, the scenery still look pretty much the same, not much variation from these three states. I didn’t have a National Park along the way so it was just blasting down the back roads until I reached Grand Island where I am spending the night.

Welcome to Nebraska.
    [​IMG]

Landscape Still Looking The Same.
    [​IMG]

My thoughts are beginning to start thinking about the fast haul home. I was going to keep on secondary roads but I decided I would like to sleep in my own bed soon. So sometime tomorrow I will cross I-70 and slowly turn east, then twist the throttle towards home.

Nice Bike!!! Looking for that sweet little Corn Husker!
    [​IMG]

Total Miles 537, Fun In The Sun!
    [​IMG]
    No account saddle bum.
  6. Ogribike

Oddometer:
    Okay, here you go.

The day started off with warm weather and a ride down the Pony Express Trail. The four number roads in Nebraska have a speed limit of 65 with no traffic, perfect way to see the country side.

Good Morning Nebraska.
    [​IMG]

I rode into Kansas and couldn’t find much different in the landscape but it was still nice, open roads and good weather.

Welcome to Kansas.
    [​IMG]

Nebraska landscape.
    [​IMG]

Kansas landscape.
    [​IMG]

Since I have been to all of the continental US States, I decided to stop at the center and feel the power. Nice little piece of nowhere at the end of KS191 near Lebanon, KS. I did share my snack with a bunny hopper before heading south to Lebanon and slowly turning east towards home on US24.

Smack dab in the middle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bunny hopper.
    [​IMG]

Nice Bike!!!
    [​IMG]

As I rode through Cawker City, KS I spotted the world’s largest ball of twine. So I circled the block to stop and check it out (No U-Turns on US24). A lot of work, I think if the guy had a bike it wouldn’t have happened.

The big ball.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I entered Missouri I rolled into the visitor’s center for my free map and saw the Chiefs stadium, mighty impressive.

KC Chiefs Playground.
    [​IMG]

But now it was time to make miles, so onto the slab and into Illinois for the evening. I did make one last rest stop and you can see the shadows were getting long. I’m spending the night in Mt. Vernon, IL.

Long shadows.

[​IMG]

Nice day, 704 miles, I think I like doing this.
    [​IMG]
    No account saddle bum.
  7. Ogribike

Oddometer:
    So I had a great night’s sleep, time to unpack and take care of maintenance.

The day started off great, I will be home tonight! Always good to get home after a long ride. I headed east on I-64 to make time and rolled into IN.

Welcome to Indiana.
    [​IMG]

I stopped at a rest area for my morning break and John rode up on his Honda Interceptor. He was headed to Kentucky, he loved riding the Interstate and stopping at every rest area to chat up anyone interested in bikes.

John's Bike.
    [​IMG]

I headed out and rolled through Kentucky and lots of construction on both sides of KY and WV border. That slowed me down a bit, I really dislike construction zones.

Welcome to Kentucky.
    [​IMG]

So it was on to home getting in around 9:30, long day and it felt good being here. I may be at breakfast in Paint bank but I know a lot of you will be at the Bluegrass Book Bank Campout. So I’ll see you on the road, I have an extra month at home so time start planning another ride or two.

Nice Bike!!!
    [​IMG]

Home sweet Home.
    [​IMG]

It was a 670 mile day and home it is.
    [​IMG]

Total Route 6905 Miles, 16 days and happy all the way.

[​IMG]

Thanks for letting me take up your time to share my ride. New England is looking good for September!!!:clap
    No account saddle bum.