Have the Japanese brands lost their mojo?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by B1, Oct 6, 2020.

1. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
    For those that think Honda has no soul I'll just drop this here..

phughes, RedDogAlberta and B1 like this.
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Keep a eye on the WERA forums for guys selling the cartridges. Guys dumping at the end of the season sell them seriously cheap, and Traxxion only makes on actually cartridge, they can fit it to nearly any bike.

The AK-20s in my Super Duke were out of a GSX-R fork if that tells you anything, I want to say it was like $550....but a wildly different setup between a Kayaba and WP fork.
    B1 likes this.
  3. Reduxalicious

Reduxalicious Or is it?!

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the other in the big 4 or Kawasakis other bikes, but my Z900RS has me more entertained than my Guzzi's ever did and has just as much character as my Boxers,

But that could just be the bias since my first road bike was a KZ1000 and this is like a much better handling faster version of that bike :dunno
    klaviator, phughes, B1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb:thumb
    B1 likes this.
  5. Waynerm

Waynerm n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't know how many of you have noticed that Honda has discontinued the CBR600 and Yamaha has followed their lead by discontinuing the R6?
    B1 likes this.
  6. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Why would they loan money for that if everyone knows electrics will make them obsolete in ten years? It's only prudent to limit end-of-life technologies to minimal incremental updates.
    B1 and Vertical C like this.
  7. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    All of them? Nah.
    Vertical C and B1 like this.
  8. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is the significance of this?
    phughes likes this.
  9. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Yes, there was a thread about the R6, VMax, and WR250R.

However - https://powersports.honda.com/street/supersport/cbr600rr :deal
    B1 likes this.
  10. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
  11. Toter

Toter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a 2015 Road King, a 2015 Yamaha FJR1300 ES, and recently a BMW R1200 GS. Life is good. They are all excellent in their zones. One American, one Japanese, and one European. I can blend wherever I want, even Starbucks. I'm keeping all of them!!
    AZbiker and B1 like this.
  12. Matt the Wanderer

Matt the Wanderer Supremely Not Lost Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know about losing their MOJO, but I have been mostly unsatisfied with my stable of varied UJMs for a few years now. The silky smoothness and excessive power delivery -vs- my actual needs have created a situation where the joy of riding is actually somewhat diminished. Maybe it is because I have to be so-damn-careful about how much throttle I use lest my girlfriend gets peeled from the pillion with great drama. It was never a problem on lower powered machines like the R100GS I logged so many miles on. But my current rides, a Versys1000LT, a Concours14, and a GPZ1100 all end up being a little too much. My eyes were bigger than my stomach, so to speak. Honestly, it's like dating a woman with an astronomical cup-size. Yeah, it's amazing and everyone KNOWS you Da Man, but it's a lot to handle and you have to be careful.
    AZbiker, strommonster and liberpolly like this.
  13. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Try one of the Yamaha triples
  14. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean, I would love to have an MT10, but I would be in so much trouble, and so fast that my driver’s license wouldn’t have a chance.
  15. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think it's fair to tar the big 4 with a single brush. The difference between Yamaha and Suzuki has been pretty shocking over the past 10 years.

Honda have also tried some ballsy stuff, even if it's not to appeal to the old school biker. Take the NC700. Or the X-ADV. Or the new Rebel. I've no idea who the CMX1100 is even for, but fair play for chucking it out there.
    Elle2Konsai likes this.
  16. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my Suzuki and this article makes me want to buy a brand new Katana, but its on topic and well written.

Does Suzuki Have a Future?

https://boymeetsbike.com/2020/06/28...up5V5seauJrNOtBzC6C4OHwhP3clVgeZBaKhB0Tuul3GY

"But Suzuki has none of these safety nets, and has been struggling to attract new customers for more than a decade now. Their car business folded entirely in the United States and is facing tough competition across Europe in the low-cost segments from the likes of Hyundai and KIA. Their small-capacity bikes remain popular in south-east asia, but profit margins are thin and increased competition from the Chinese manufacturers is eating into their volume. Europe and America used to be the cash cows whose high-margin product paid the research & development bills, but those funds have been drying up for a long time now.

The result is that Suzuki‘s product range has stagnated, with key lines being forced to retire due to increasingly-stringent emissions legislation. What little money remains has been spent carefully, one bike at a time, in the hopes of striking gold and kick-starting a sales success that could, in turn, fund further development of their ageing lineup. But time and time again it seems that the upgrades and face-lifts are too little, too late, and always one or two steps behind their competition."
    B1 likes this.
  17. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    You hit upon something that as a long time motorcycle guy I had completely lost touch with. I've been an uninterrupted motorcycle owner since 1970. However, I got out of pure pavement bikes in the mid-80's...yes, yes, I've mentioned this before, but your post hit upon an unintended revelation to me. After the 80's I still had one or two pure off road and DS bikes at all times and used them extensively. Recently I got a weird re-interest in getting a pure roadbike again. My DS bikes were great off road but entirely uninspiring on pavement. For a potential stree bike I wanted light, simple, inexpensive, and functional. In June I found a new-in-stock-unserviced 2017 Kawasaki Z650 and got a crazy deal on the price.

My revelation...bikes have come a long way since the 80's...yeah, almost living under the rock revelation...LOL! While the Z650 is hardly the pinnacle of high tech, high performance, or the extreme cool factor, the bike was so far ahead of my 80's and earlier street bikes that it was hard to believe. It has the same horsepower of my '72 H2-750 and '73 Z1-900 and is faster to boot...not to mention extremely superior handling...and lighter weight.

So, "Matt the Wanderer"...do you really need the bigger displacement bikes you mention your dissatisfaction with? As long as you can find a suitable bike with comfortable passenger accomodations, wouldn't something in a smaller engine size fill the bill? Why not something like the Yamaha T7 or similar? I tend to agree with you that many bikes these days or somewhat "overdone" on the power delivery. And those bemoaning some kind of loss of mojo by the Japanese or many other brands are probably just jaded because of a steady diet of more and more power accompanied by more and more bells and whistles. At some point you look in the mirror and ask..."what am I looking for in a motorcycle, and how high does the bar have to be?"...especially in light of the amazing options we have these days.

Rather than a loss of mojo on the bikes' part, maybe we've just become spoiled and jaded. I love technolgy, but after a point how much more does one need? While I'm not personally ready for the Royal Enfield Himalayan level of "back to the basics", I need the raw power and whiz bang, Buck Rogers technology of many of these bikes like I need a Bugatti Veyron. Some people these days seem to look upon the offerings from Japan like they are riders at the level of Moto GP or Dakar champions. I'm all for anyone choosing to buy, ride, and enjoy any level of performance and space age technology they desire, but to poo-poo the Japanese level of offerings currently available as a loss of mojo is in reality a kind of lack of reality.
    klaviator and DR Donk like this.
  18. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually feel it is the opposite. The Japanese motorcycles have plenty in terms of power output per displacement, spec sheet, value per dollar.
    It is always the bike for me that wins on paper. Then I go ride most of them and think, eh. I could do without it. Don’t get me wrong, it is not all of them. Like I have mentioned earlier, it is like riding a TL1000 and then riding an SV1000 a couple years later. I would argue that the SV1000 is probably a better bike, but it was so vanilla, there is no chance in the world I would open my wallet for one, where the TL is still a bike I wish I had. The SV1000 is a vacuum of mojo.
    I would have to say the same about the Strom, and it doesn’t even have the looks of the SV.
    I love Suzuki. The Busa has mojo that very few bikes have. I have not ridden a GSXR that didn’t have mojo.
    I hear the MT-07 has it, but haven’t ridden to confirm.
    Maybe it is because they became so smooth and refined, but there are very few Japanese motorcycles I have ridden lately that I don’t get off and feel like I have just driven a Honda Civic. I mean Honda civics are great cars, but I don’t want my motorcycling experience to feel like I just used a refrigerator.
    AZbiker and ZoomerP like this.
  19. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you meant the Toyota Prius. Now that's a transportation appliance.
    Turismo9999, AZbiker and Big John Sny like this.
  20. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    True
    ZoomerP likes this.