Have you tried them?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RockyRaccoon, Nov 21, 2002.

?

I use my m/c manufacturer's oil filters, spark plugs, etc.

1. Always

2. Mostly

3. Occasionally

4. Rarely

5. Never

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    If you do your own service at least some of the time, do you use the oil filters and spark plugs (etc?) made/branded by your motorcycle's manufacturer? Or do you use aftermarket parts?

Why? :ear
  2. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    BTW, my 1100GS uses the same oil filter size as my Toyota pickup. Handy :):
  3. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use OEM and here's why..A few years ago, a friend of mine was racing in AFM here is Northern Cal... Nothing big, EX500 twin class..Anyway, he started using Fram filters because they were about $5.00 cheeper than Kaw. filters..

One day during warm-ups just before a race, he blow out the o-ring on the filter; takes out himself with a broken arm and two other guys behind him; and red flags the race even before it got started..All over wanting to save $5.00..

The only good thing that came from it was a rule change stating that you had to use the OEM filter from now on, on every class of bike at AFM...

So yes, i use OEM filters along with a new crush washer; that i get from my local dealer...:):

Joc
  4. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    I'm an OEM user. Regarding oil filters, some suggestive information about aftermarket filter construction can be found at: http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html. While the info is auto-related, by extension I think the same would hold true of m/c filters in general, since the same mfr.'s doing car filters are doing aftermarket mc filters (Fram, STP, KN, etc.). For spark plugs, I use OEM on grounds that what's tested and known to work properly for heat range, RFI, etc., is best. As a matter of philosophy, I regard it contradictory to spend $10~15K on a motorcycle and then try to save $3 on an oil filter.

mully
  5. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Yup...just what dat smart dude said:thumb
  6. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    Strictly OEM guy here, for the reasons stated by others above. I fail to see the logic in dropping 15K on a bike then scrimping to save a couple of bucks every 3,000 miles on a cheaper filter and oil.
  7. Komet

Komet The Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    OEM w/ the roundel! Bike cost too much to go cheap now.:):
  8. supercreep

supercreep _______________

Oddometer:
    i only use oem if i have to. air filter, oil filter, plugs, lubes. ect i go with the brand names i trust. i would not put bmw pistons, con rods, ect in either - i think there are better products on the market.

to me, it is not about saving the $$ - it's about using the best stuff avaliable.
  9. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I don't use OEM stuff,everything aftermarket.That mopar site is the best info on oil filters you'll get.Having a auto repair shop,we go through a few filters in a week,and I like to cut some of them open.As you'll find on the mopar site,Fram filters are crap,the sad part for you guys is that the manufacturer of your motorcycle doesn't own a filter,sparkplug or brake pad factory,nor an oil refinery and tyre plant.They get other factories to make them to their specs,with a nice paint job and packaging.Unfortunatly that manufacturer may be Fram,you won't know it until you cut it open.I've cut open a lot of genuine oil filters and found diferent brands with Nissan or Ford etc labels,there is no way you will know where it was originally made......suffer:rofl

At the moment I am using Taiwanese made spin on filters,these are high quality and the company supplies Toyota and Honda with filters.One tip to find a high quality oil filter is to look at the antidrain valve,an orange one means it's high temp silocon,good for bikes.So I use a Taiwanese filter made for a Mazda on my Honda,K&N air filter,Bosch spark plugs,pads? who cares,not me.
  10. motojedi

motojedi been there

Oddometer:
  11. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    True,but then again,why disrupt the whole production line just to make a few parts to a different spec? Make them all to the higher spec,keep them spinning out,and production costs down.The filters I use come in light blue for Nissan,dark blue for Honda and black for Toyota,factory part numbers are on,all thats missing is the brand name and you have a genuine part.Of course stopping the line to make a different spec part is why genuine parts cost more,user pays.

Of course even if that Fram filter is a nasty peice of work,it's still over speced at least 200% for intended use.So if GM say 10,000km filter changes,the filter should be able to get abused to at least 40,000km,it's not going to fail at 12,000km..My filter supplier offers an engine replacment garrantee if the filter is the cause - no claims.

I'm with supercreep,you want quality,not a name on a packet.

And just another point about oil filter failures,very seldom is it the filter,usually poor fitting,or a problem with the oil system.A burst sealing ring or cannister is most likely caused by too much oil pressure than poor quality products,look somewhere else to blame than the part that failled.
  12. P. Urquell

P. Urquell Martini Taste Tester

Oddometer:
    Apparently the OEM oil filters are produced by Mahle. Here's a link to buy them:

http://www.eurotechmotorsports.com/forms/QuickOrder.CFM?do=detail&q_startrow=1&q_part=11 33 845

Never used it or taken it apart.

I do my own service and only use OEM parts. I don't think buying a BMW-branded NGK spark plug for $15 is better than a $4 non-BMW branded one, but I do it for the receipt. Just in case my motorcycle "blows up", I think I'll have less of an issue seeking warranty coverage if I'm doing everything by BMW's books.
  13. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Spoilsport here again! Even though it has a Mahle label on it,it may not even be made by then,often a line is subcontracted out.Also look at the box,it may say something like - Made in EC - which means it's made in a European country where Mahle has set up a factory to get cheap labour rates.The bottom line is,most of these parts are made by an outside supplier to a specification,quality is assured.For me,I cut out the profitering of the OEM packaging.
  14. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    The Mahle filter (# OC 91) I have in my hand sez on the box (and on the filter), "made in austria" and "suitable for BMW motorcycles". It also sez "original equipment quality" which is marketing talk for meybey we can fool someone into thinking its really OEM. On the filter itself it sez KNECHT and MAHLE and tecafilters and micro-star. It's supposed to be an OEM unit but I've not verified that... JJ
  15. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    The biggest problem with non original parts is not quality,but incorrect application.I took a Nissan filter off a Toyota today - but hey,it's got the same thread,same seal size,same canister size,relief valve,ADV valve,so whats the problem,it didn't blow up! Not the point,you have to get it right,not take the word of the part time parts salesman.Cross referencing from cataloge to cataloge is an easy way to go way off track too.When you buy BMW parts from the BMW shop using the BMW parts book with BMW part numbers,you know you are getting the right part.But you can get the same quality somewhere else,for less money.My choice,if I fuck it up,I know who to blame.

Have a look at www.ryco.co.nz for info on NZ made filters.They take a dig at Fram with their cardboard endplates and give some tech info.It shows that just an aftermarket manufacturer in an isolated corner of the world is trying hard to get it right for you,but I admit,some are not.