Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Dirty Barber, Oct 18, 2008.

1. KevinMTB

KevinMTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you get here and I'll give you the run down on where to ride, most of it is trespassing as the only legal areas are Kahuku track/trails and Kaena Point.
  2. DTDowning

DTDowning Simpli Fy

Oddometer:
    Is it trespassing with a wink and a nod or stuff that will actually earn me bracelets? Ill hit you up when Im out there. Wife moves out there friday.
  3. KevinMTB

Oddometer:
    I've been riding it for eleven years and haven't had any issues yet, most of the good riding is just outside of Kahuku track on military leased training grounds. I've come across the military a few times and they have been pretty cool. If I see them training, I usually leave the area. I only ran into security once up there and it may have been due to new construction going on. If it's wet, we usually hit the pineapple fields as they tend to dry fairly fast. Kaena Point is short but sweet as you ride close to the ocean, you need a permit to ride it but you can get it online and it's free (good for a year). Maybe you should sign up for one ahead of time? https://sups.ehawaii.gov/dlnr-sup/w...waii.gov/dlnr-sup/j_spring_cas_security_check
  4. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    We're all somewhere colder than Hawaii, wishing we were there right now.:D
  5. Rocketman223

Rocketman223 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm right here, where are you? 650cliff.JPG
    gfh, nevgriff64 and Big Bamboo like this.
  6. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    I live in Kona on the Big Island. Where are you fellow Big Islanders getting your tires? I have a BMW 650 thumper and found what I'm looking for at RevZilla. Although they offer free shipping, apparently their shipping methods are not compatible with my shipping address. Where are others going for tires?

Mahalo! doc
  7. KevinMTB

Oddometer:
    I'm on Oahu but I have found that rockymountainatvmc.com or denniskirk.com will ship to the islands. If I recall right , it cost about $26 per tire to ship but they have the tires that I want and they arrive in just a few days, I believe they use UPS ground. Also, the tires are cheaper so in the end, even with shipping charges, it's still cheaper than the tires I can get locally and they usually don't have the tires I want in stock locally anyway. BTW, denniskirk sells the tires cheaper but adds a $5 charge per tire so the final cost are about the same from either company. I'm assuming that the cost would be the same or close to getting them shipped to Oahu.
    Aloha, KevinMTB
  8. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    I did hear back from RevZilla. Apparently their ordering web page automatically scuttles orders for some products shipping to Hawai'i. By paying $25 per tire, I was able to complete my order. I will for sure look at Dennis Kirk and rockymountainatvmc in the future.

Mahalo! doc
  9. Rocketman223

Rocketman223 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a quick ride out to MacKenzie Park on Christmas eve. Beautiful day! mknzepark.JPG
    nevgriff64 and gfh like this.
  10. Rocketman223

Rocketman223 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went up the mountain for Christmas day... 2017xmas.JPG
    nevgriff64, gfh and MikkSteel like this.
  11. Chris618

Chris618 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to get out of Hilo more.

Attached Files:

12. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision!

Oddometer:
    Hi, I am going to Kauai next month. I've been trying to contact Kauai Motorcycle Rentals to no avail. Anyone know if they're still around, or an alternative?

Thanks!
  13. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aloha! I'm heading to HI end of March and I'd like to do some trail / dual sport riding. What island has the most to offer and how do you suggest that I get a couple bikes for me and my son?

If anyone is open to taking me along on some good rides (We're happy on anything from green to black level) I'd be super appreciative and would totally enjoy reciprocating when you come to So Cal where we have lots of great riding.
  14. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious

Oddometer:
    Definitely not Oahu.... probably the Big Island. Maybe Kauai, we used to ride cane field perimeter roads ("lehees") at stupid speeds. Fun until a cane haul truck is coming the other way. Did you know sugar cane has millions of little needles all over the stalk?
  15. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Farm roads may be too uninteresting compared to wilderness trails. Are there accessible trails on Maui as thats so far the only moto rental place for enduros that I’ve found.
  16. yotatoy

yotatoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, not a big forum poster. But we did the move here last Summer, haven't been riding since I been here, so busy. Anyhow, I got my kids dirtbike tuned up the other day, any place you recommend for taking them to learn to ride? Probably take them 1 at a time with the JR50 for now, once my oldest is confident I want to move him up to an 80, maybe 100. They are 7 and 10 boys, I have an almost 5yo as well, but my motorcycle prerequisite is they have to be able to ride their bike good and he doesn't like riding his bike. Hoping after a few sessions we can do some low key trail riding as a family.
  17. yotatoy

yotatoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    to Oahu*, live in Kapolei
  18. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision!

Oddometer:
    Went to The Big Island 4 years ago, and rented a DR650. There are actually legal places to ride in Mauna Kea and South Point. There are also dirt roads and trails out there. I forgot the exact location.
  19. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
  20. yotatoy

yotatoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect, thanks! I Did not know it existed, looks like I will be making a weekend trip there in the next few weeks.