Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Dirty Barber, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    I should mention; these pictures are from rides from Waimea out to the Keanakolu Cabins and back, at about 23 miles each way. This avoids most of the deep mud and rocky descents found on the southern half.
  2. motogon

motogon Like wind

Oddometer:
    Very cool!
  3. Big Bamboo

Oddometer:
    Near South Point, looking north up the Kona Coast. Blue skies here, but the north end of the island was under a flash flood advisory! Note: that ridge line is about 25 miles north of me. South Point.jpg
    Steve G., AKtiger, shuswap1 and 5 others like this.
  4. Redoubt

Redoubt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be moving to Oahu shortly and I just found out I can only ship one bike in my household goods. I have a vstrom1000 and a pcx 150. For those on Hawaii what would you bring?

I'm thinking the scooter to save on gas. But I have no idea if it's worth bringing an adventure bike.
    Snapper33 likes this.
  5. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking that it may depend on what part of the island you're on. In general, I would think that the opportunities for dual sporting or off-roading in general will be pretty limited compared to anywhere on The Continent. On the other hand, if you find yourself anywhere between Hawai'i Kai and Kapolei, you'll probably be much better served by the scooter.

When I lived in town, I had a 650 Honda. It was more than enough for any riding I cared to do on the island.

Let us know when you get settled in and made your 2-wheeled decision.

e como mai!

doc
  6. Shlonger

Shlonger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just moved the islands in late September and after exploring the Big Island and Maui over the last two months, we fell in love with the Big Island and move into our home in Waimea in December.

Looking forward to connecting with others and exploring the Big Island now that my DR650 is being delivered with the rest of our stuff!
  7. AKtiger

AKtiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride what year is your Beemer? I like southpoint area makes for good pics
  8. Big Bamboo

Oddometer:
    The one shown is a '73 R75/5.
    AKtiger likes this.
  9. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    ——

I live in Kaneohe and I ride my TW200 (avatar) to Honolulu for work over the H3 each day. The 200 is plenty for the island. I ride it all over the island, no problem, no need for a bigger bike.
    Redoubt likes this.
  10. Flashback

Flashback Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer:
    Now live and work in Hilo. Haven't really started exploring yet but plan on it now that we are settled in. Suggestions of fun roads and gps tracks for either dirt or pavement definitely welcome.

Seen some of the dual sport videos from south island, probably too gnarly for my F8 but I'm game for taking the bike just about anywhere within its capabilities (and mine).

Anyone around who wants to ride give a shout.

:wave
  11. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    No way. I’ve ridden a TW at highway speeds and it was NOT happy. No offense, that’s just not something I’d do, and I grew up riding motorcycles on Oahu.

In fact, I’ll be there tomorrow. Anybody up for a meet n greet on Oahu?
  12. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    I put a 47-tooth rear sprocket on the bike, and it's doing great! The H3 limit is 60mph and it cruises it easily. I'd love to meeet up with you sometime, send a PM when you get settled.
  13. Flashback

Oddometer:
    Where to get tires on Hawaii island?

Looking to replace my H3 oriented rear with something more appropriate for BI riding conditions.

Any local options for knobby sellers I should check out? Running into issues with online retailers not wanting to ship to the islands.
  14. Redoubt

Redoubt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just found out I am able to bring both
  15. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    Redoubt, well, now you’ll have what you need for any Oahu occasion. Congratulations!
  16. Big Bamboo

Oddometer:
    There's the Suzuki dealership in Hilo 935-4997 and Kiser Honda in Kona 329-9100. I usually get mine from Amazon (free shipping if Prime) and put all the matching ones available in my cart. Then, see who actually will ship to Hawaii in checkout, and delete the rest...
  17. Flashback

Oddometer:
    Smart. With the Amazon shuffle. Didn't think of that.
  18. Rocketman223

Rocketman223 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Al at the Hilo Suzuki place is a good guy, if you order tires thru him he will mount and balance for free. Ride to town and drop off the bike, walk down the street and get a bento box for lunch, pick up the bike when you are done. Don't forget to go across the street to pick up a growler from Mehana Brewing before you go home.
    rkover1 and Big Bamboo like this.
  19. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Would make for a good ride from Kona side.
    (Also, I used to work with the physician that owns Mehana and Hawai'i Nui)

doc
    Rocketman223 likes this.
  20. AKtiger

AKtiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like dealing local if I can so the Honda shop gets a lot of my business but if your not finding selection or they can’t special order I have pretty good luck with Twisted Throttle they shipped free to Alaska on an order of heids k 60s so big island should be same deal
    twistedthrottle likes this.