Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Dirty Barber, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    Honolulubimmer nailed it. Spot-on! Sixteen months and I’m paroled from Hawaii.
  2. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Lucky I live Kona. Don't like going back to Oahu if I don't need to. Still have ohana there though.

doc
  3. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    If my family didn't live on Oahu I wouldn't go there. Got a good friend on Maui, and I like the Kona area. You know what I miss the most? The food! well, the wahines too, but I gain over a pound a day when I visit. Plate lunch, lomi salmon, loco moco, sashimi, tako poke.... Malasadas! Manapua!
    rkover1 likes this.
  4. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Ha, ha. Yeah, we pretty much go to Oahu to eat! So many more choices over there.
  5. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    Thread is pretty dead. Hello? Hello? Is this thing on?

on Oahu visiting family.
  6. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    We must all be out riding!
  7. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    Beautiful weather. Beer, anybody?
  8. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Got one.
    1911fan likes this.
  9. pax maac

pax maac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the “best” riding on Oahu that I’ve found seems to be the tantalus drive, goes though a bunch of switchbacks, twists and curves, decent scenery and some great views.

Anybody else got any rides they like on Oahu?
  10. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    Up to the top of St. Louis Heights, then hike Waahila Ridge Trail.
    Around Sandy Beach, past Makapuu and Sea Life Park, home over the Pali. Or keep going through Kaneohe, to Haleiwa and home through the pineapple fields. Slab from Wahiawa to HNL though.
  11. Honolulubimmer

Honolulubimmer island-locked 20x40

Oddometer:
    I need to come to this thread more often, but on the subject of living in Hawaii, sorta:

Wife and I spent a week on Kauai over Christmas, staying with a family of four plus two grandparents in Poipu on the south end of the island. I've been to Kauai many times since 1960, but this time we got there in the peak season and it was crowded beyond my imagination. The days before we got there saw two drownings; the day we arrived a party of six went down with their helicopter. Well we oughta be okay, says one of the kids, this cluster of fatalities is surely over. He seemed to be right.

We booked a snorkel tour on the Na Pali coast and left Poipu in the early dark. Got just past Lihue and we got a call that the tour was cancelled. This was not completely unexpected since it's the middle of winter and that can mean huge north swells, but we turned around and went home to sleep.

Tried to go to Polihale Beach on the west side. The last six miles are gravel that I remember as dry and heavily washboarded. BUT NO! Recent heavy rains added mudbogs two feet deep and a hundred yards long to the lovely terrain. And the road has no shoulders on which to sneak by. We watched a couple trucks go through and a couple stop and turn back. We turned back.

Lesson learned... don't come to Hawaii during the high/rainy season (Christmas through New Year). Better to come August through October, with a preference for drier August. Condo rates are lower and the crowds less intense. The crowds and cars during our visit made Oahu, which has 953,000 peeps vs 72,000 on Kauai, somehow look more attractive.

Surely this condition replicates on Maui, and it makes me miss my early days living in Piihonua. Howzit to any and all still living there.
  12. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Sounds familiar. The last time we tried to get to Polihale, we were turned back by the mud. Guess we'll have to try again during the dry season.

(Kona has been pretty wet lately. More than I remember.)

doc
  13. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's why the Good Lord gave us the Rental Car! Chance 'em Brah!
    1911fan likes this.
  14. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Fo reels. But never like fo call da tow truck
  15. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take your stuff out, throw a match on it, find a pay phone (say what?) and report it stolen, nuff said...

My good friend and neighbor (we lived on the same road) from Waimanalo and his family moved to Kauai in the late '70's, he'd come to Oahu in the Winter to surf Country and I would go there in the Summers to get away from the South Shore Rat Race. We'd surf, ride dirt bikes, pound our beater cars on the cane roads, and generally raise hell, back then I think it was about $90.00 to ship a car interisland and if you returned within 45 days it would be $120.00 for a Round Trip, 3-4 guys would get together ship a car and go for month long plus, act irresponsible and get into trouble Festival.

Oh the Kauai memories, always my favorite island, just couldn't afford to buy a house or find a job there so settled for the Big Island instead when I left the Army, alas, now I am working in Bulgaria and the family relocated to Michigan last Summer...

Take care Hawai'i Boyz.