Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Dirty Barber, Oct 18, 2008.

1. RC Pilot

RC Pilot Shut up and fly!

Oddometer:
    Spent four years there and except for the occasional storm, I cannot remember a day that was not spectacular riding weather!
  2. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    From Kona, I've taken some trips, both up towards Kawaihae and Waimea; and south toward Ocean View and South Point. Now that "Stay at Home" has become "Safer at Home", I'm hoping to do some circle island trips again.

doc
  3. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    So you guys wait for spring in Hawaii too?

I guess I shouldn't complain about having to wait for the snow to melt in the mountains here. :csm
  4. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    “Spring?” I Can ride here EVERY day. And have.

doc
  5. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    We ride year-round here. Riding was slow due to Stay Home COVID-19 rules.
    rkover1 likes this.
  6. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another beautiful clear day yesterday. I was headed to Hilo over the Saddle Road, but decided to ride up the Mauna Kea access road to the base camp at 9,000' for some back road no traffic twisties action. When I got to the base camp, I saw a sign that said 'Road Open' , and the ranger who was parked at the end of the pavement said I was good to go after he signed me in. Mauna Loa and the Saddle Road turnoff to the access road visible above my headlight (right click, view image , and +): [​IMG] Going UP: [​IMG] Nearing the summit and where the pavement starts again at 11,800' : [​IMG]The end of the road : [​IMG] Still some snow on the actual summit at 13,800' : [​IMG] [​IMG] The view east, with Hilo Bay visible on the coast: [​IMG] Looking northwest, Maui in the distance, and North Kohala under the clouds, Waipio Valley visible on the coast to the right: [​IMG]
    Watercat, AKtiger, gfh and 1 other person like this.
  7. gfh

gfh n00b

Oddometer:
    Great pictures of the summit. How did the Bemmer handle the elevation? My KLR gets a little sluggish up there but I always enjoy it.
  8. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great photos. I need to head up there some day.

doc
  9. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The BMW did OK, if a bit down on power. I did have to feather the clutch a couple times in the last steep chewed up section, right before the pavement starts again. The random piles of loose pea gravel didn't help much, going either way...
    gfh likes this.
  10. AKtiger

AKtiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride and pics I love going up the mountain on a nice day
    IMG_1029.jpg
    gfh and Big Bamboo like this.
  11. Flashback

Flashback Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer:
    Do eeeet!

High elevation rides can't be beat especially now that there are very few tourists and non-locals out.

Took a ride up to the Mauna Kea visitors center myself on Friday afternoon while doing a there and back between Hilo and Kona sailing club. Weather has been absolutely perfect for logging miles.

Have been needing to figure out an alternative photo hosting solution to the defunct photopucket for years so not many ride pics since landing on this rock. :hmmmmm

=== this is 2019 Mauna Loa pic from elevation, closest shot I got handy.

F8 loses a little power above around 11,000 feet but mostly only felt as sluggish throttle control. Even down on power have to be careful not to spit rocks out at those in the rear view while climbing up the dirt between the visitors center and where the tarmac comes back.

Biggest issue with F8 up there (other than my reaction time slowing due to the thin oxygen) is that if (rather when not if) I forget to turn off traction control and it gets rutty the engine cuts out every time the rear tire leaves the ground. Going up the grade and losing all power and throttle control is unnerving. Electronics - protecting me from myself. :doh

+1 on the be aware of the pea gravel and mounded loose dirt on the access road comment. Some of those piles get deep.

20190119_115325.jpg
    budsboy and gfh like this.
  12. RC Pilot

RC Pilot Shut up and fly!

Oddometer:
    Smugmug is a good photo hosting site.
  13. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    https://imgur.com/ is exactly what you need. I don't miss Photobucket in the slightest after making the switch.
  14. dsquare11

dsquare11 Someone has to live here

Oddometer:
    Aloha!
    Been a few years- I can explain....
    Was a 650GS owner and enjoyed the bike after a couple of VFR's. I moved to the north shore of Oahu in 2011 and we decided not to ship the motorcycle over and I sold it to someone else in Washington. I should have shipped it. Small bikes are perfect for Hawaii, especially ones that can handle bad roads. Anyway, I ended up with a Honda CB1. I imagine there are a few people around here who have enjoyed one of these. Wonderfully perfect small motorcycles that should have been way more popular in the United States than they were. But everyone wanted big and loud, or fairinged and fast. Had a few mechanical gremlins I couldn't quite find parts for and I sold it to a Seattle hipster after moving it back to Washington. But it was too cold for my wife (we surf a lot) and so we made the sacrifice and moved back to Hawaii, Kauai to be exact. Someone has to live here.

So I've been here a couple of years and decided that i need to get back on a motorcycle. The fastest you can legally go on any road here is 50. No reason to buy anything big. There are some great dirt roads (not a lot but enough) but the island is perfect for small bikes like the 310GS.

So- if someone wants to buy a couple and keep them here I am happy to manage your stable. OR- I am just going to buy one and ship it over from Oahu. I emailed both dealers- besides the standard reply neither have gotten back to me. Is anyone here in Hawaii or have a connection with someone who is? Its a long shot but I can hope. I am debating buying a couple and renting them to tourists when the islands open back up- but I'm not sure yet.
  15. Honolulubimmer

Honolulubimmer island-locked 20x40

Oddometer:
    Well now! I'm in HNL, grew up on the Big Island, Piihonua in Hilo to be more specific. I didn't ride then, though of us four brothers, three were riders at one time or another. My DD is a 2010 K1300GT and it's far and away too much bike for an island 20 miles by 30. You can go around the island clockwise in half a day, then counterclockwise in a half day, and then...

Any thoughts to buying and renting a bike or two MUST be considered in light of 1) airtight rental contract with full liability insurance, 2) a deposit sufficient to cover the entire bike, 3) someone to conduct possibly major service(s) on a bent/damaged bike(s).

One thing's certain on a rented bike: they'll ride it like they rented it.

See Craigslist Honolulu, there's a F650 right now at $3500. I may have met the owner "Rob" a weekend ago and he's considering moving back to the mainland. He might take 3K cash if waved at him. No need to mention Charlie, the tall guy.

Peeps are always looking for dual sport rental bikes here, especially on the Big Island, KLR's, DR's or similar. Promise you they'll beat those bikes pretty bad. Let the highway types (Big Island mostly, only place with some distances to travel and even then not much my mainland standards), rent their H****ys from whomever, those would not be your market.

I have been to the only BMW Motorrad dealer in Honolulu very few times in 15 years of K100RS and K1300GT ownership. They merged with a multi-brand conglomerate and have a nice big showroom, think of that what you will.

Open to further discussion.
  16. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    If you buy from Oahu, I bought my Moto Guzzi from AJ Hurgo at Cycle City. Pretty straightforward with no surprises. The test ride was kinda sucky as I could only follow him out to the end of Lagoon Drive and back. Had the bike shipped to Kawaihae, via Young Brothers :^( for about $170.

Let us know how it goes.

doc
  17. dsquare11

dsquare11 Someone has to live here

Oddometer:
    Thanks man!
  18. ShawnKTM530EXC

ShawnKTM530EXC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which island has the most unpaved dirt road riding available?
  19. Honolulubimmer

Honolulubimmer island-locked 20x40

Oddometer:
    That would have to be the island of Hawaii, more than several times the size of all the others together.

Be aware that the locals can be a little uncivilized if you ride into their pakalolo patch.
  20. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Puna has long been a questionable destination if you are an outsider.

doc