Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Dirty Barber, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Hawkeyez

Hawkeyez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I'm moving back to the big island in a week and half, picked up my first dual sport (KLR 650), looking for people to ride with. I'm not new to 4x4ing the island so I already have some spots in mind, but would love to explore new ones and also have people to ride with.
    rkover1 likes this.
  2. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    I rode a rented KLR for over 300 miles on the big island a few years back, when there was still a guy who rented bikes like that. Make sure you get tires that are decent in the dirt - that one had street-specific tires on it and was just awful off road.
    Hawkeyez likes this.
  3. Hawkeyez

Hawkeyez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I believe there's already decent dirt tires on it.
  4. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome home! To what part of the island are you headed? I’m a street rider (Moto Guzzi V7 Stone) on the Kona side, but you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding dirt riders to hang out with.

doc
    Hawkeyez likes this.
  5. Hawkeyez

Hawkeyez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm going to be living on the Kona side this time around.
    rkover1 likes this.
  6. Hawkeyez

Hawkeyez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone here ridden the whole Mana Rd (looks like Waimea down to Hilo side saddle Rd)? If so any feedback?
  7. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I've driven it in a car. Not sure exactly which road you're referring to, though. They have road numbers, which would make it easier to figure out which one you're talking about. Is it 190 down to 200?

It's just another road. The only one that I think looked extra fun on a motorcycle was 250 from Hawi to Waimea.
  8. Hawkeyez

Hawkeyez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's actually called Mana Rd and it's a dirt 4x4 road that wraps around the backside of Mauna kea and goes through Parker ranch i believe. This one: https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/7300-mana-road.html
  9. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Cool. I want to ride that.

How much do you think it would cost me to ship one of my bikes over there to ride for a week? :-)
  10. Hawkeyez

Hawkeyez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heh, not sure. But if you do hit me up!
  11. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pasha runs directly between San Diego and Hilo. I think it’s around $600 each way.

doc
  12. Honolulubimmer

Honolulubimmer island-locked 20x40

Oddometer:
    $650 is what Pasha charged me to ship from San Diego to Honolulu, 4.5 years ago, and it's the current price on their website (just checked https://www.pashahawaii.com/quote-m...HUJKaX9ZdqfHJ3Fgb7b5PqKJbP24TFZQaAjo9EALw_wcB

Be aware that you will not be allowed to drive your bike/car onto the boat. Bikes must be shipped on a pallet; they are not ridden once dropped at the shipper's consignment center. Pasha will rent you a scrubby looking metal pallet and do all the tiedowns themselves and this was included in my $650. This controls their liability, I suppose. It was a nine day trip, I suggest you plan for ten. The airport is about 3.75 miles from Hilo harbor, it's farther than I'd want to walk. PS Hilo is famous for rain. One Thanksgiving weekend we had 18 inches in 36 hours (Thursday-Friday), Saturday partly sunny, and completely sunny Sunday. Humidity as you'd expect.

If you have your own pallet (I'm told that dealers have an oversupply and the right one will be happy for you to take one away) you can save $50, but you'll have to deal with getting the bike AND pallet to the dropoff location.

My battery was stone cold dead flat on arrival in Honolulu, and I knew there was some potential for this when I shipped. I disconnected both battery leads but it did no good. Fortunately Battery Bill is not far away in Honolulu and I got another Odyssey PC680. Four and a half years later I had it load tested (yesterday) and it's just fine. After hearing bad things about BMW's Exide batteries, I'm much relieved, but my K13 still has the not uncommon hot no-start problem. Going to call the dealer on that; there's a semi-official (not quite a recall) fix they can install. I'd do it myself but if I can have their tech to all the fairing stuff and install at no charge, I'll let them.

Mana ("Mah-nah") branches off the summit access road between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea. It's a State road and supposedly publicly accessible, but there are numerous cattle gates you'll pass through. It's been years since I last did it but I don't think any gates were locked. Elevation varies but averages maybe 6000 feet. It's beautifully cool at that elevation, but likely to cloud over in the afternoon. Suggest you do not ride it alone, cuz if you get stuck or break down, you'll be a long way (island style) from help. The road is about 43 miles long, and just to get on is a couple dozen highway miles too. It seems like 2 of 3 persons on Hawaii Island drives a truck, so if you're in possession of the aloha spirit, and a ramp, someone may help you out.

Plenty articles online, here's one: https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/the-brilliant-beauty-of-mauna-keas-little-traveled-mana-road/

Back on topic, Young Brothers at https://htbyb.com is the main, in fact only, discounting air service, interisland shipper and they used to have a 3-week cut-price deal on interisland round trip vehicle shipping. YB has been in financial trouble, though, and as the only interisland shipper they will not be allowed to go out of business. Point is, call ahead and verify prices. They've been very pleasant the few times I've sent stuff interisland. Big point... if you have more than 3 bikes going, you can get a better deal on a 20-foot enclosed container, and your stuff won't be salt-soaked on arrival.
    Watercat likes this.
  13. Hawkeyez

Hawkeyez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had my virgin ride today to green sands, I dropped her a few times on my way in due to either choosing a bad line or psyching myself out. Good to see that a lot of the same skill sets from mountain biking apply here. Pick the line and commit is the motto. Had a blast though and I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon enough. The KLR is a hell of a lot heavier than a mountain bike though. One of the drops the bike pinned my foot... Going to be sore tomorrow.
    Watercat and rkover1 like this.
  14. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I would blame in on riding a KLR. :lol3

Years ago when I rented a KLR on the big island I wanted to ride it to the Green Sands Beach, but the owner didn't want me going there on it, so I agreed not to. I wish I had. We headed out there in the back of a local's pickup truck instead. I recognize the place from your photo.
  15. Flashback

Flashback Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer:
    I'm still on my Honolulu commuter F800.

She's fun on the big loops like top of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. Enjoyed taking her for a stroll across Mana road a couple years ago during a dry spell. So much beautiful about that ride. Won't touch green sands with the F8. Last time I went down to the Kohala light house on F8 got my ass kicked by the Hawi mud coming back up the hill. Literally ass kicked to the point of exhaustion. Good will of a 4 wheeler tow required to get out. Made me decide to find a good used DR before doing much more of the unimproved areas. Still looking for a DR ...
    Watercat likes this.