HawgFest Carlsbad New Mexico

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by rokytnji, Jul 9, 2019.

1. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://www.hawgfest.net/camping

https://www.hawgfest.net/

Starts 12 noon on Aug thursday 8/29
    Ends Sept 1

Short description:
    I will be leaving solo from My place < my avatar says where > around 10 am or so, hoping the oil field traffic will loosen up off hwy 285 that I am going to take to Carlsbad. I was informed by email they have tie down points for my hammock and room for me and my motorcycle in camping.
    GS650Lady likes this.
  2. grace

grace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    interesting that the promo video doesn't show a single motorcycle
  3. rokytnji

Oddometer:
    I went to youtube and their promo videos does not show more than a 30 sec / 60 sec clip or so with a burnout and drag run and that is about it.

Mom always told me. " How can say anything about it since you have not tried it? "

Since I never have attended. I will find out first hand. At least I can tie down my sleeping arrangement.
  4. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    As one who spends an inordinate amount of time in Carlsbad for the whole pumping money out of the ground thing, I have to say I cannot think of a single more inhospitable place to want to ride a motorcycle in August. Think 110 degrees with 30mph dusty wind. Thanks but no thanks.
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Considering it's 100plus degrees in the daytime right now in Carlesbad and the
    I go down there for work occasionally and I agree 100%. There's no way I'd be able to sleep in a tent in the desert this time of year.
  6. rokytnji

Oddometer:
  7. rokytnji

Oddometer:
    Figured I'd mention it since I take this kind of stuff for granted. For you dudes on oil rigs and such in the heat.

I cut the arms off old knit winter under ware. Soak it in water till soaked real good. Wrineeg out just a little. The more you leave. The longer your home made air conditioner works when in the wind. Then wear it as a vest.

Like I said. I take this for granted that everyone knows this. But, I guess not. This air conditioner trick works best in dry heat.

I aint sleeping in a tent. Hammock packed.
  8. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    I don't mind hot weather riding, but then you get there and it's hot and dusty and you don't want to be outside .

I'd go in the Fall....see the color around Ruidoso and Cloudcroft on the way - but in July/August? :nah
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Last summer when I crossed Utah in 100 degree heat I used one of those neck coolers that you soak in water, I carry a small soft cooler on the Tiger and dip the neck thing into the cold cooler water about once an hour. Huge difference in the enjoyment of the ride with that little thing, you need some cold water to recharge it but it only takes a min. The problem with southern NM, like the Mojave and Nevada deserts is there's no shade for long ways. 100 degrees isn't bad in low humidity "if" you can get out of the sun periodically.