Hawkeyes west 2017

Discussion in 'Americas' started by engineman, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mosquito Pass is between Fairplay and Leadville.

2. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
  3. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I traced out one way to get from Idaho Springs to Delta. After Idaho Springs, this takes you on some fire roads and then skirts the freeway over to Georgetown. Then it's down the road that goes over Guenella Pass.

These track take you from Fairplay over Mosquito Pass to Leadville. However, after Leadville you're basically on paved roads to Delta. Another option is to go south to Buena Vista and then find your way to Taylor Park and then somehow over to around Crested Butte and then across.

Screenshot 2017-07-03 15.24.25.png

Attached Files:

4. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Here's a track from Delta to Moab. I think this is the route you want to take.

Screenshot 2017-07-03 19.07.56.png

Attached Files:

5. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    The Gateway to Moab road:

6. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    I stayed with the family a few years ago in the Gateway Canyon Resort. Stunning scenery, great resort and an amazing auto museum. Owned by John Hendricks who founded the Discovery Channel.
  7. vipers

vipers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you guys planning the camping/Motel situation day by day or do you already have an idea ahead of time? On the Moab days are you guys thinking about unloading some gear and venturing out or you guys going to stay mostly loaded up? Just curious. Also, what tents are you guys using?
  8. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
  9. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
  10. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't get around that 1st day being to long if we base out of Denver / Arvada. What if we tried to find a place to leave the truck around Vail? That would shorten up both the first and the last day at the expense of more time in the truck on the way out / back
  11. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Makes sense to me
  12. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trying to plan it so that we can ride unloaded most of the time. Going to try to plan ahead on the nightly stops but am already behind schedule on that. Nice to have a target anyway. Don't remember what kind of tent I have. Got most of my moto-camping setup at a backpacking type store. They also like compact and light gear
  13. vipers

vipers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok. thanks for the update
  14. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I've been through a number of tents. My current tent is an MSR Hubba Hubba. I tried to go minimalist with a Big Agnes FlyCreek UL1, but that was waaaaay too small.
  15. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    I have a Cabelas XPG 3 man. I tried the 2 man and hit rain at the Steamboat Adventure Rally. The moniker "2 man" would have to be assuming you are spooning with that second man...pretty close. I stripped the luggage off my bike and had nowhere but inside the tent to keep it secure (not much of a fly) and it was pretty frustrating to say the least.
    They allowed me to get a refund (!) and I bought the 3 man. In dry weather I could squeeze an extra person in, if they were pretty friendly and patient, and if I have to haul all my luggage inside it leaves some room to organize things and get dressed.
    I am all about light weight gear (yeah right! 990 rider!) but I am happy to spend the extra pound to get the extra room. Just my thought train. I'm sure the ultra lighters would jeer at me and throw their titanium utensils in my general direction, but I can handle the shame of popping up the Beverly Hills sized ripstop retirement home.
    vipers likes this.
  16. vipers

vipers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tent info. Tents are more expensive than I had imagined
  17. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    I got a few years out of a $35 Walmart one years ago. It wasn't too light but it worked.
  18. vipers

vipers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tossed on my new wolfman enduro dry saddle bags. Seems like they should work good. Now i need a new chain/sprocket, inspect clutch rubbers, maybe consider a cush hub setup and get a usb charger. Then I'm sure there will be something else. I'm probably going to go cheap on the tent this trip. 20170721_135115.jpg
    Orangecicle likes this.
  19. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I rode with a group on the COBDR back in 2013. All that one rider carried was basic survival equipment, which included a sleeping bag and a survival bivy -- something like this: http://www.milesgear.com/UberBivy.html We never used the camping gear and found a way to stay in a motel each night. It's important to have something when riding in the Colorado mountains or in Moab because it's possible that you could get completely stopped by rain on a dirt road. That said, you don't need that much. Look around for a survival bivy like this one: https://www.lonerider-motorcycle.com/products/minitent I bet you'll find a cheap one out there.
  20. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Nice. You might get by with that stock bash plate with the EXC frame with the frame shielding the engine. Engineman, RoundOz and I have trellis frames, and there's no way any of the bikes would survive Colorado without good protection down low. If you want some added insurance, I'd find a welding shop and fab up a solid bit of iron to replace that plastic thing that comes with the bike.