Hawkeyes west 2017

Discussion in 'Americas' started by engineman, Dec 6, 2016.

1. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be at MotoSports this Saturday at 10 to get the 690 re-mapped. Installing the RADE tank and skidplate this week. Got the Motominded headlight installed. Wife and kids leaving for California for a week so I can finally get some shop time in. Need to start working on packing for this bike too
  2. vipers

vipers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll check these out, looks like a possibility. Otherwise the cheapo walma rt route might be the ticket this time.
  3. vipers

vipers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on getting the enduro engineering skid. Not sure if I'll get it on time for this trip though. I'll be dropping off my bike at MS on sat sometime as well. Getting a lot of drivetrain and chain chatter in 6th at highway speed so I need to get that sorted.
  4. engineman

Oddometer:
    New plan for Day 1.

I'm planning on finding a place in Gypsum to leave the tow rigs. Shouldn't be too hard to do, there are several options

The ride start with forest service roads north of Glenwood Springs. Will cut down across I70 on a mix of paved 2 lane and gravel roads into the Grand Mesa area. Will go past the Lands End observatory, more FS roads and end up at Divide Forks Campground. This is a forest service campground. According so what I saw on someone's old ride report there is no water there so will need to make sure we swing into Grand Junction to stock up on fuel, water and evening beverages. Ends up being around 230 miles total

Attached Files:

5. engineman

Oddometer:
    New plan for Day 2.

Will leave the campground and head towards Gateway on FS roads and Hwy 141. At Gateway we will pick up more FS roads through the Dolores triangle area and end up in Moab after around 90 miles. Once in Moab, we can hit camp, dump the gear and head into Arches NP, slickrock area or wherever strikes your fancy. Lots of camping options around Moab

Will be on the route in this vid on the way in.

Attached Files:

6. engineman

Oddometer:
    Plan for Day 3.

This day will start and end in Moab so everybody has options of what to do. I plan on riding the White Rim trail and Gemini bridges trail. Around 150 miles total for this route through canyonlands park

Attached Files:

7. engineman

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

8. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 950 used to do that when the carbs were out of sync or it was running lean.

Maybe your carbs are out of sync. :lol3
  9. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Mine is about ready. I want to order a spare fuel pump just to carry. I need to change out my intake rocker arm and put in new shims that Doug ordered. Other than that, I have a voltage light that I'm installing tonight. Otherwise, just pack and go.
  10. engineman

Oddometer:
    Day 5:

Leave Montrose and head into Ouray. Would be best to hit the campground first to unload the bikes and then have a fun loop. Will hit Imogene pass, telluride, Ophir pass, Red Mountain pass on the Million Dollar highway, Yankee Girl mine trail and back to Ouray. For anyone feeling brave, Black Bear pass is also an option. This is a short day at around 90 miles total. Imogene pass will be one of the tougher ones for the week. (I think). It can be bypassed by taking hwy from Ridgeway to Telluride

Attached Files:

11. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    My plan:

Day 1:

Ride, fall down, fix motorcycle:

[​IMG]

Day 2:

[​IMG]

Day 3:

[​IMG]

Day 4:

Work diligently to develop a more consistent daily pattern:

[​IMG]

Day 5:

Locate a dispensery:

[​IMG]
  12. vipers

vipers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully I don't have too many trail side issues and repairs but if I do atleast I know someone that has a little experience to offer some advice :)
  13. engineman

Oddometer:
    Day 6-

This day will start and finish in Ouray. HIghights will be Hurricane Pass, corkscrew gulch and California pass. The loop is only around 80 miles but there are several out and back trail options as well.

Attached Files:

14. engineman

Oddometer:
    Day 7:

Start in Ouray. High country gravel roads, Owl Creek pass, Alpine Plateau and hit some highway into Lake City. There, we would want to unload gear where we are staying at hit the Alpine loop. This will be where we are spending the night. Leaving Lake City, we will head to Animas Forks over Cinnamon Pass and return to Lake City on Engineer pass. From what I can tell, Engineer will be the 2nd hardest of the roads on this trip. Will have to decide whether to do the Alpine loop clockwise or counter-clockwise. Depends on whether you think it's easier going up steep rocky sections or down. Personally I think up is easier. Should be around 140 miles for the day

Attached Files:

15. engineman

Oddometer:
    Day 8:

Last Day! Lake City to Carbondale is a mix of 2 lane highway and gravel (160 miles). From Carbondale it is 38 miles to gypsum via highway (includes 24 miles on I70) . I also have a gravel / forest road route mapped from Carbondale to gypsum which is 82 miles. We'll have to see how things go and decide on the fly.

From there it's 15 hours of Interstate back to reality.

Attached Files:

16. engineman

Oddometer:
    By the way, I welcome feedback from anyone on these routes. Let me know what you think. Better to make changes now than later.

If everyone is generally agreeable on these days, I can go ahead and start making camping arrangements. Input there is also greatly appreciated
  17. vipers

vipers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds great to me! My old man and myself are down for whatever. I will say we will probably not stick around until the 4th. Probably take off fri or sat. Not that u guys care but thought I'd mention.
  18. engineman

Oddometer:
    Lodging-

Here's what I'm thinking.

Gypsum: Probably just get a cheap hotel here.

Divide Forks: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gmug/recarea/?recid=32912
    Pretty remote area

Moab: http://actcampground.com/ameneties/tent-camping/
    $25/ night per site. Close to town for services. We will be there 2 nights

Ouray: http://ourayriversideinn.com/cabins/
    Probably be ready for a bed by this point. Cabin rentals are around $80/night. Fit 3 per cabin. We will be there 3 nights. There are also campgrounds available around Ouray

Lake City: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...7!3d38.02007896316109!3m2!1i1167!2i954!4f13.1

BE here 1 night. multiple places to camp around Lake City
  19. engineman

Oddometer:

Thinking about a change here. Instead of stopping at Montrose, keep going another 35 miles of highway into Ouray. That would give us 3 nights in Ouray
  20. engineman

Oddometer:
    Glad to have you along. Do you or your dad have GPS? One of the things I learned last time is that it's pretty essential out there. Sometimes easy to get separated.