He says / She says - Roswell NM invasion?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Vixen, Jun 11, 2012.

1. rocker59

rocker59 diplomatico di moto

Oddometer:
    It's not that bad.

Lot's of interesting things, if you have your eyes open.
  2. Vixen

Vixen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Outdoor_Girl

Outdoor_Girl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went to Palo Duro Canyon once years ago and it was lovely. Be careful of the wildlife.....a park ranger came by to let us know "not to worry, the CDC is on the way to pick up that prairie dog that's in your campsite" :huh Then later the strangest large bugs I've ever seen tried to climb in my shoe while I was in the bathroom. I'm not usually a girly girl but these things sent me screaming outside with my pants still down. :eek1

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Enjoy!
  4. Vixen

Vixen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for the warning! I'm not usually skeered of bugs either, so long as their not some freaky alien looking things (like praying mantis), are smaller than a quarter (except spiders, they have to be smaller than a dime (maybe smaller than that)), and definitely NOT crawling into my shoes or any other clothing :eek1 My biggest concern in the forest areas is bears and in the desert areas is snakes and tarantulas and scorpions and coyotes........ We WILL be packing heat, do you think these critters understand Eastwood talk? :lol3
  5. rocker59

Oddometer:
    I was last in Palo Duro in September 2010.

The only thing in our campsite was deer.

Cool sight to wake at 0200, peer out of the tent, and have a dozen deer grazing all around...
  6. Vixen

Vixen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here we are, the week of! :clap

I'll be spending the next 3 evenings sorting out our clothing, toiletries and a little bit of food supplies (consisting mostly of coffee, cream and sugar). Eddie is in charge of the tools and camping gear.

We have a difference of opinion on whether we may need our gerbings liners and gloves. Eddie's packing his, I'm thinking that just my olympia mesh jacket liner will do. I don't like to be cold, so this may not be a good move for me. But it's late June/early July.....does it get below 60 in the higher elevations?
  7. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    How high are you going and what passes are you going over? Yes it can definitely get below 60 at higher elevations and at night time. Now granted you guys aren't going too far north on this trip, but I was snowed on in July on the Ice Fields Pky in Canada in July and had temps as low as 40 in rain at the top of Pike's Peak (BTW, it was 90+ at the bottom.) Another trip, Sarah and I woke up to 37 degrees after camping outside Yellowstone. Most of the time, it should be warm, especially considering how dry its been in CO, NM, UT, etc so part of me wants to say you won't run into anything too bad, but I also don't live out West either. If you are only bringing a mesh jacket and not a warmer jacket, I would tend to bring the liner. If you brought a warmer jacket/liner, then you could leave the Gerbing at home. Every time I've been out west, I've carried both a mesh jacket and a warmer jacket and always glad I did. Its always been a wide variation of temps from melting in 100+ to getting rather chilly dropping below 40 at times. Also keep in mind out West, their temperature fluctuation is a lot greater then we have here in the SE. Its not like here where we'll rarely drop below 70 at night time during the summer. In higher elevations, it can get quite chilly at night and starting off in the morning, you'll appreciate that warmer jacket/liner.
  8. Vixen

Vixen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of our Canada trips in July was on the chilly side, at the very tip top of Lake Superior in Wawa it was around 40 degrees, but being that we were in Canada we knew to take our gerbings. But this trip, you're right, we're not going too far north into Colorado so I'm hoping that the liner for my jacket will be enough. The passes in Europe last year were chilly enough that we stopped and put on our Gerbings half way up, only to stop and shed them again halfway down, very quick and dramatic temp changes. I was thinking though, as you said, it's been pretty dry/hot in the southwest this year so that maybe we might not need to carry the extra weight and take up the extra space.
  9. rocker59

Oddometer:
    Angel Fire NM: Highs in the low 80s. Lows in the low 40s.

Monarch Pass CO: Highs in the upper 80s. Lows in the upper 50s.

Silverton CO: Highs in the mid 70s. Lows in the mid 50s.

I wish I was heading there, instead of Virginia, this week...
  10. Vixen

Vixen Been here awhile

Oddometer:

definitely packing the Gerbings....upper 50's is cold to me, brrrrr!!!

Virginia is awesome! Love the narrow mountain roads that wind through the valleys and the small coal mining communities. Have fun!
  11. Vixen

Vixen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been to Roswell dozens of times; it sucks. Do not waste your precious time dorking around an alien museum. And its hot...
  13. Vixen

Vixen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this is it! Last post before I shut down the computer and head out.

Bikes are loaded and I've been packing and loading the gear and supplies all day. I'm turning on the spot at about 2:30, when I pull out with trailer in tow to go pick Eddie up from work. We'll be pointing it west from there, and most likely not stop until we find some good que in Memphis :evil

The goal is to arrive at a generous ADVers' place in OKC around noon tomorrow, unload and get moving to make it to Texas for a night of camping on Friday.

If any of ya'll are out that way and see us passing, be sure to throw up the ADV salute :lol3 or better yet, say hello :freaky

VROOooooooom vrooooooooooOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:clap:clap
  14. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coming through Memphis? How did I not know? Weekly ADV get-together tonight (Thursday) from about 630-830pm. Braden Station. It's a little family restaurant in the town of Braden, a little northeast of Memphis. You can call or text me. 901-237-1007, even if you can't make dinner.

Jamie
  15. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I am not up to speed on your current plans, but FWIW, don't even think about Roswell, especially in summer.
    Also, the eastern part of NM is baking right now.
    Yesterday, Tucumcari, NM was 115. According to the weather guy, it had the hottest temp on the PLANET!
    My advice:
    Go to northern NM, dodge fires in CO, but stay the hell out of eastern NM (and for the love of god, avoid Roswell at all costs)
  16. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I may have already missed you... but the address is:

189 Highway 59
    Mason, TN 38049

Right off US 70, just a couple miles from exit 35 on I-40.

Jamie
  17. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are north of Bham right now. We might be cutting it close to the bike night. Check the spot link for our progress
  18. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    They're closing upon about an hour and it looks like you're still a good hour or two out. Doesn't look like we'll be able to meet up tonight.

Jamie
  19. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Excellent breakfast place in the morning:

Brother Juniper's
    3519 Walker Ave.
    Memphis, TN 38111
    Phone: (901)324-0144

Driving Directions: From the South (Tennessee)

Take I-55 N toward Memphis
    Take exit 6A to merge onto I-240 E toward Nashville
    Take exit 23A for N Airways Blvd
    Merge onto Airways Blvd
    Turn right at Park Ave
    Turn left at S Highland St
    Turn right at Walker Ave

They open at 6:30am.

Jamie
  20. bahwolf

bahwolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vixen: "The goal is to arrive at a generous ADVers' place in OKC..."

That'd be me. Truck and trailer parked. Bikes unloaded -- and then loaded. ATGATT donned. And then away they went into the blazing sun. They'll be back through here a week from Sunday, I believe, but I'll be on the road to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland by then. :-)

Photos:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/529051_10151235683850620_1860898043_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/563271_10151235686025620_1211699653_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/376390_10151235687785620_378970119_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/555277_10151235688695620_1967854307_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/553080_10151235691450620_231698064_n.jpg

Ride safe, you two!