Headed north to the Trans-taiga Road

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Scanning4adv, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Desert camo 82

Desert camo 82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the post I was thinking of a WR250r as a possible alternative and more road friendly bike. Thoughts??
  2. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    the Trans Taiga is just a long gravel road, no need for a small dual sport on it, my GS was fine. 21" front wheel would have been nice for the berms the graders push up but just be careful.
  3. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 2000 I rode my ‘85 Nighthawk to the boat landing on James Bay just west of Chisasibi. On the way back down the JBR I stopped at the junction with the TT and stood there a while and gazed longingly eastward, knowing that I was grossly ill prepared and it would have to wait for another day. Yes, it is a bummer.

Sixteen years later, on my 2015 R1200GSA with four extra gallons strapped to the passenger pegs, I did the TransTaiga solo. The most intimidating part was the road south out of Brisay along the levees along the reservoir. Not intimidating in its difficulty, as it’s still pretty easy riding. But definitely intimidating in its remoteness, especially solo. The whole TT is pretty darn remote, and you might only see one vehicle every couple hours. The road south out of Brisay, though, is much less traveled. You might not see another vehicle out there for days, because there’s no reason to go that way. A spectacular 70 miles each way. Highly recommended. And standing at the gate at the end you’re the farthest you can reach by road from any city or town in North America.
    Motopsychoman and Dan Alexander like this.
  4. Miller.a

Miller.a Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn’t know this was a thing until today. I’m doing the trans lab this summer (assuming the COVID situation settles down) but maybe next year. Does anyone know the distances between the places you should be able to get gas?
  5. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's gas in Matagami and Radisson, and at km 381 in between. Once you leave the James Bay Road on the TransTaiga, the only gas is at Mirage Outfitters halfway out and Air Saguenay at the end. There's another place a just few miles west of Mirage that might have gas, too.

240 miles from Matagami to km 381.
    150 miles from km 381 to Radisson
    270 miles from Radisson to Mirage
    200 miles from Mirage to Air Saguenay

Or if you want to skip Radisson, 323 miles from km 381 to Mirage.

When you get to Mirage, call ahead to Air Saguenay to make sure they've got gas. Don't miss the road south out of Brisay. That's an extra 70 miles out and 70 miles back.
  6. LosTabarnacos

LosTabarnacos Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that's a real bummer. I'm not sure if anybody else out there has had gas for sale in the past. This means you need a minimum of 400 miles range just for an out-n-back from Mirage with no cushion and no exploring. 540 mile range if you want to do the road south out of Brisay as well. I did Mirage to Air Sagueny to the end of the south road and back to Mirage on my GSA carrying four extra gallons. I bought three gallons from Air Saguenay, and I had about that much when I got back to Mirage. So theoretically I could have made it carrying no extra gas, but I probably would have been running on fumes at the end. Lack of gas at the end makes the logistics of this ride a bit more difficult. You certainly don't want to run out. And you don't want to be staring down an inviting side track worrying if you've got enough gas.
    GravelRider likes this.
  8. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sad news. Thanks for posting.

Bummer indeed. It does make this trip all that more remote and difficult, which I hate to admit, does increase my personal draw to do it again. When I rode this, I wasn't 100% sure there would be gas available, so I packed enough to do an out and back and even the southern road as well... But just barely. With Neal's gas bag leaking along that southern branch, we would have been in some trouble if we weren't able to fuel up at Air Saguenay.
  9. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    well that does put a different spin on things

I did it with a regular 1150 GS and carried a 5 gallon jug but didn't need much as we bought gas at the airlines. Next time will take more thought.
  10. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess I'll have to do some more mileage tests and calculations. I was hoping to just carry my 6L fuel bladder but may have to think a lot bigger.
    Just hope they open the border back up by June 1.

But I can't really do anything but work on the bikes until these lockdowns end (middle of week 3 here). Mileage testing will have to wait.

Stay healthy y'all.
  11. Tabasco

Tabasco I have very large hands.

Oddometer:
    There is card-lock gas at Brisay. They have a limited schedule when they're open but you can buy gas there. Usually for about 2 to 3 hours per day. I carried 10 Liters but never needed it on my 2011 R1200GS Adventure.

If they're closed when you get there, you can go to the garage across the lot and push the call button. Those guys may be able to direct you. They got it open for me when I was there between hours.

IMG_3974.JPG
  12. GravelRider

Oddometer:
  13. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I didn't know about this when I was up there in 2018. Where exactly is it? I never went into the area just south of the main road. I thought that was all residential.
  14. Tabasco

Oddometer:
    At Brisay you take the road toward the employee housing DO NOT GO TO EMPLOYEE HOUSING OR EVEN NEAR IT and then a hard left toward the industrial buildings and garages. The fuel is just left of that fork in the road on the left hand side.

Air Saguenay was closed when I was there. I didn't need anything but did stop to check it out.

The lodge and sea plane base at Cargair K-286 has gas and you can buy beer and wine there also. Pics below were taken there.

IMG_3892.JPG IMG_3896.JPG
  15. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Tabasco, that fuel pump you pictured above is the exact same one we filled up with in 2018. It is owned by Air Saguenay.
    Tabasco likes this.
  16. Tabasco

Oddometer:
    The one at Brisay is owned by Air Saguenay?
    GravelRider likes this.
  17. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Oh my God, I wasn't paying attention. I didn't notice you said Brisay. Whoops! Nope! Ignore me. I thought you had said Caniapiscau, which looks remarkably similar to the one you posted. Lol
    Tabasco likes this.
  18. LosTabarnacos

LosTabarnacos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GravelRider likes this.
  19. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    No shit. I'm betting that's the same friendly fox we ran into at Brisay at the intersection of the road to go to Caniapiscau or the south branch of the TT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think @CavDoc?
    CavDoc, LosTabarnacos and Tabasco like this.
  20. CavDoc

CavDoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That looks like our buddy!
    GravelRider likes this.