Heading To Tuktoyaktuk NWT, It Ain't Nothin But A Ride 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Gordon, Jun 1, 2019.

1. SilverFerret

SilverFerret Motor Psycho Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last question. What didn’t you take that you wished you had and what did you take that you really didn’t need?
  2. Ryan Carman

Ryan Carman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for that I have never used oneand was wondering, works much like i assumed,
    Gordon likes this.
  3. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    @SilverFerret The road is all of the above if you are talking about the Dempster. Inuvik gas stations are either manned or Cardlock. The other two are manned stations. Mosquitoes are pretty bad Deetz on a neckerchief worn around your neck keeps them away pretty well. Was bitten by one fly this entire trip. The Tuk road can be decent or very evil. Do not ride it if it is raining. I have heard best time to ride the Tuk road is early afternoon the maintenance crews have gone out and tightened up all the known loose sections. Late in the evening when I rode down the Tuk road parts of it was a nightmare. There have been some folks life flighted off of it already this year. I just talked two a couple fellas who saw bikes being flat bedded out of there. When they were on the way back out. Good luck go slow it hurts less when you fall down.
  4. Gordon

Oddometer:
    This fish and chips made with salmon tastes really good E2961F58-2BDF-46FD-8B0C-7FC6704BEB6B.jpeg
    bobw, BillUA, PA Dewayne and 3 others like this.
  5. Gordon

Oddometer:
    With all the nice weather up here this year. I am going to take the Robert Campbell Highway back to Watson Lake when I head back home tomorrow. The last time I was on that road was in 2004 on my 1990 BMW R100GS/PD. I have heard that many improvements have been made to the road since then. One thing that hasn’t been done is it is not paved as of yet. That’s a good thing. I will post some photos and report on the road conditions when I can.
  6. Gordon

Oddometer:
    I really don’t leave anything behind I might need. One thing I always do is bring to many tools. Next trip I will force myself to leave some of the tools at home.
  7. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Bring these air may not be available when you need it. 0DC61DF6-61CC-46DA-94B2-3F64FA9D166A.jpeg
    B10Dave, greg.279, Phoenix101 and 2 others like this.
  8. Gordon

Oddometer:
    0FAB485A-866A-489C-B758-3B437B2057F0.jpeg KTM’s are in the majority in Dawson City
    BigDogRaven, bobw, PA Dewayne and 3 others like this.
  9. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know that view, you're in the Bunkhouse in Dawson! I'm 24 hours out from launching from Fairbanks. D2D Does tend to look like a European adventure bike Rally with BMWs and KTMs everywhere! Good thing its not a rally! Are those new gear lockers they have added to the out building?
    Gordon, B10Dave and bobw like this.
  10. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Some of them are designated for that purpose.
  11. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I've heard that station can be spotty, so I've been figuring on needing to get from Dawson City to Eagle Plains - 252 miles according to Google.
    Gordon likes this.
  12. Gordon

Oddometer:
    A1FB0C49-4EAC-4F44-B0C3-68FAC24D5E4E.jpeg Breakfast at Carmacks Yukon
    B10Dave, bobw, PA Dewayne and 2 others like this.
  13. Gordon

Oddometer:
    The Robert Campbell Highway is a high speed dirt and gravel road. Which runs between Carmacks and Watson Lake. It is a nice traveling road with some decent scenery but mostly you are riding in a corridor of trees on both sides of the road. Some parts of the road are a bit too narrow. Oncoming traffic seems to ride in the middle of the road. Some road repairs are being done at this time and not all of them are adequately marked. You have to stop in Ross River for fuel unless you have a really nice range on your machine. Ross River advertises as a 24 hour fuel stop but I am not so certain about that. You pump your gas first and then have to go around the corner to a small manned shack and pay the person working at the time. I used my Visa Card.I stopped and filled up on the way to Watson Lake and I still needed to use my RotoPax to make it to the next fuel stop.
    bobw and 95Monster like this.
  14. Gordon

Oddometer:
    58FF21A4-265F-4A74-B53C-6C122D08AB09.jpeg Here are some photos taken while on the Robert Campbell Highway. This will more than likely wrap this RR up except for a photo of my bike back in my driveway on my return. Unless something really remarkable happens between here and there of course.
    black 8, MizzouRider, bobw and 4 others like this.
  15. Gordon

Oddometer:
    AE8CE063-D0DA-4F37-82EF-6DA483425E45.jpeg
    PA Dewayne likes this.
  16. Gordon

Oddometer:
  17. Gordon

Oddometer:
  18. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    As you found out the Campbell is not all gravel and dirt, my guess is 250 km is paved. Just rode it on my 250. Ross River gas bar is closed at night but I think there is another card lock in town but did not see it! I stayed at The View 16km from Ross River where advriders are welcome.
    bobw, 95Monster and Gordon like this.
  19. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this great RR.
    I just did a ride in the same neighborhood with riders on GSs (with factory heated grips) and one Africa Twin (nope). Advice to AT owners: get heated grips if you're going farther north than Starbucks.
    bobw, Gordon, greg.279 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Cafeguzzi

Cafeguzzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ross river gas station a few years back:
    IMG_8970.JPG
    BillUA, bobw, Peter640 and 4 others like this.