1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Heading West For Some Exploration With My Son

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Antikid, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Antikid

Antikid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday ended up being a bit of an oopsie.
    We woke up, got camp packed, ate camp biscuits and gravy then went to check out Moab.
    Having never been there, I didn't realize how small of a town it is. In about 2 mins, we turned on 128 and couldn't stop looking at the canyon walls.
    It is so cool!

Before we knew what was going on, we turned on Onion Creek just doing some exploration.
    We stopped at the 1st small water crossing and filled our hydro packs.
    The water didn't taste right. I use a Sawyer mini, but something was off. So we kept going.
    I kept seeing white stuff around the creek beds, so I said we better not drink it.

20180624_115332.jpg
    Hours later, the road was not ending, and we were into our reserve bladder that had filtered river water in it from the rimrocker trail. Not great, but drinkable.
    We finally decided to get out of there and never leave town without getting water again.

20180624_125035.jpg
    We came down through the forest and it was about 67deg. When we got to the bottom, it was 90.

20180624_133009.jpg
    40 miles later, after we got a sweeeeet campsite on the river at the bend, we were at Milt's drinking milkshakes and eating burgers (and chugging water).
    Then we went swimming in the river until the sun went down. Another incredible day!
    Lesson learned always fill up with water.

20180624_174946.jpg
    MIxr650r, bikemoto, Blaise W and 6 others like this.
  2. Antikid

Oddometer:
    Today we did all of 20 miles on the bike.
    We woke up around 9, got camp packed and went for breakfast in town.
    Breakfast time was over since it was 1145, so we ate lunch.
    Then we hiked to the 6th largest natural bridge. It's only 2.25ish miles, but in 96deg, it seemed like forever.
    The hike was beautiful, and if the creek wasn't there, I doubt we would have kept going.
    Every time we crossed it, we dunked our hats in. It felt great.
    The arch was cool, but the journey to get there was better.
    Tonight and tomorrow we have a room, then back to Colorado and camping!
    Tomorrow we are going to be tourists in Arches National Park and will try to get up early to beat the heat, also will be doing some off roading and more swimming. It's supposed to be 104...

Below the arch
    20180625_161741.jpg

20180625_170419.jpg

Arch is in the background. You couldn't tell it was anything all that special until you got under it.
    20180625_155438.jpg
    20180625_150744.jpg
  3. NOTAGAIN

NOTAGAIN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome trip, Awesome son, Awesome Dad, Priceless Memories!

Nice to see Nathan in good gear like his dad. Best to you both!
    Antikid, KneeDrachen and boristhebold like this.
  4. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, you’ll have some lifelong special memories from this trip...and a great ride report to look back on in years to come. Brilliant stuff. Safe, exciting travels.
    Antikid likes this.
  5. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things! Supporter

Oddometer:
    just behind Milts, on the corner at Dave's Corner Market, is the road to Sand Flats. There is a little Rotary park on right with a variety of musical instruments.
    if you past the park, up to the stop sign, take a right. it may be Spanish trail rd. follow that about 1/2 mile and take a left on power plant rd. it goes about 1/2 mile in to parking lot. great hike along Spring Creek, lots of places to play in water and get shade..
    Antikid likes this.
  6. Antikid

Oddometer:
    Today was hot! Perfect time to play in the sand...in the desert...on a too big bike...:jack

We went to Arches and paid $30 to get in! Got up at 530ish and had breakfast at Pancake Haus.
    Made it to the park around 740 or so.
    We drove the road to all of the touristy spots but didn't hike, just drove around and stopped for pictures (had all of our gear on, and didn't plan on hiking much).
    We're planning on going back this evening for some hiking to a couple of the arches.

Then we got on the gravel road that leads out of the park and towards I70 (Salt Valley Road). That was fun, but I expected salt flats, not just a grassy field. Oh well, another time.

We stopped and played around some rocks then went back to the park to ride Tower Arch Rd.
    20180626_100020.jpg
    20180626_101834.jpg
    20180626_101429.jpg

I knew this road had a double black diamond section, figured it was small and wouldn't be a problem. The rest of the road is medium difficulty on the map. Those ratings are for Jeeps apparently.
    The hard section was not a problem.
    The sand, that was a nightmare. A 7(?)ish mile sandy nightmare.
    The bike overheated once so I stopped and let it cool off, we had about 3.5 miles left to go.
    We found some shade under a tree and waited a bit.
    The 2nd time it overheated I just went faster. The sand was getting less and less, so we could cruise in 3rd and it cooled down a bit.
    I didn't drop it today, almost did at least 3 or 4 times, and really really close once or twice.
    It was a certain kind of fun. I enjoyed it, but, it was hot and I got a little bit worried for a min.

20180626_115225.jpg
    We made it out and swam in the river to cool down. Took a shower and are chilling in the room until dinner and evening hiking.
    MIxr650r, bikemoto, misterk and 3 others like this.
  7. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    You're a true adventure rider doing things that at least 85% of advriders have not nor would ever do!
    MIxr650r, Gotlabs and Antikid like this.
  8. flyingz06

flyingz06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what a memory!!!! KTM is a beast for a trip like that. nice
    Antikid likes this.
  9. Antikid

Oddometer:
    Had some dinner at the bowling alley since we didn't know the sports bar was through a different door. :lol2

Went and hiked to Delicate Arch and it was awesome. Got to the trailhead around 930ish and it was still hot as balls. Left the park around 12am, still hot.
    We lit up the arch and tried to get pics. Worked pretty good for flashlights and cell phones.
    20180626_230433.jpg

Nathan took this one.
    20180626_231003.jpg

Tomorrow we head back to Colorado via the Rimrocker Trail and will get on the COBDR (hopefully).
    First we have to do laundry and the bike needs some chain love.
    radmann10, bikemoto, Nutt and 5 others like this.
  10. Antikid

Oddometer:
    We dropped the bike at the gas station this morning! :imaposer

No damage. But it was close, a few inches and it would have done some damage... The headlight and windshield scraped the red safety barrier thing.
    Some very kind, and rather strong, lady helped me pick it up:rofl

Nathan isn't the best at getting on the bike and my short legs don't help. It was bound to happen.

Currrtbly eating lunch since we missed breakfast AGAIN and then headed out into the heat after we stop at the post office to mail Nathan's rock collection home.

An executive decision was made and we are slabbing it to Crested Butte to camp then tomorrow we will get back on the COBDR. It's just too hot to risk the desert today.

20180627_111844.jpg
    misterk, MizzouRider and jwc like this.
  11. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    I would never clean that red off there, not in a million years. Thanks for a great RR, retracing a lot of your path in September. Go get CO!
    MIxr650r, Antikid and jwc like this.
  12. Macdogg

Macdogg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those are "memory marks". Great RR.
    MIxr650r and Antikid like this.
  13. XTWalt

XTWalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outstanding trip, way to go Dad! That fine young man will never forget this experience with the old man.
  14. FailureDrill

FailureDrill Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My son is about to turn 3 and these kind of threads are great inspiration for me. Keep it coming!
    Antikid and Scrubby1 like this.
  15. Antikid

Oddometer:
    No updates for a few days because we decided to stay in Crested Butte for 3 nights and basically stayed on the mtn.

The drive from Moab was so hot, it was miserable. It wasn't too long, but the heat made both of us want to get off the bike.
    We went over Kebler Pass, which was a nice detour from the google way.

We camped on Paradise Divide and neither of us wanted to leave (you can see why) and the weather was absolutely perfect. 70s during the day and low 40s at night.
    20180627_203602.jpg

20180627_204946.jpg

Mileage for the day from Moab (yay 85mph speed limit!)
    20180627_194502.jpg

Bike pic leaving Moab.
    20180627_104828.jpg
    kleinergti1, bikemoto, Nutt and 2 others like this.
  16. Antikid

Oddometer:
    We did nothing for a full day. It was glorious.
    I napped in the hammock and Nathan played around camp.
    We both enjoyed it immensely. I can't believe he was ok with it, as he us usually non-stop.
    20180628_120635.jpg
    Then the cheap hammock broke. So we went into town for dinner. And I now have 2 Eno Doublenest hammocks...

I want this in my house!
    20180628_153044.jpg

Doing some campsite exploring
    20180628_184643.jpg

Then we got to see this amazing sunset.
    20180628_203709.jpg
    kleinergti1, bikemoto, Nutt and 3 others like this.
  17. Antikid

Oddometer:
    Yesterday we went on a 5 mile hike all around 11K feet. It was fun, but definitely harder than just walking.
    Not much elevation gain, but still hard for us flatlanders.
    We found so many sweet rocks. We shipped a medium flat rate box home full of them.

Right as we started when he was all happy about hiking. On the way back, we were both sore, tired, and wanted some burgers. :jack
    20180629_103348.jpg

Took me 15mins to get the phone balanced to get this shot! Well worth it.
    20180629_123944.jpg

At the top. Can't remember what this was called. It's between Purple Mountain and Treasure Mountain I think.
    20180629_125512.jpg

He got a little scared on the parts like this.
    20180629_132430.jpg
  18. Antikid

Oddometer:
    This morning we packed up camp and now we're headed north.
    Sat and had a latte and some breakfast and now we're off.

Below are some more pics from yesterday

The hammock was over a nice steep slope. You weren't going to die, but it felt like it.

After burgers we had ice cream
    20180629_165403.jpg

Enjoying the new hammock while Nathan finished his burger. He had a tooth almost fall out so he had trouble eating it.
    20180629_184204.jpg
    20180629_195614.jpg
    Snow while on the hike.
    20180629_121108.jpg
  19. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GREAT STORY about a trip you two will never forget!
    MIxr650r and Antikid like this.
  20. Antikid

Oddometer:
    My sleeping pad (of course it's mine) developed a very slow leak. I have to blow it up several times throughout the night.
    It sucks being a side sleeper and waking up with a completely numb arm, and my shoulder feels like someone stabbed it.

Last night was not that cold. We camped on the non Leadville side of Hagerman and despite the above, slept pretty decent.

Today we rode the BDR to Steamboat Springs.
    This town is not my style.
    The ride was pretty sweet. Went through a cool canyon and the gypsum mine area was neat.

This got so blood red in places. It was cool. This was shortly after Hagerman.
    20180701_105539.jpg

In the Gypsum area. The powder covered ruts were my favorite... many butt puckers happened there.
    20180701_122816.jpg

Going into the canyon. We didn't stop much today. Took this while riding.
    20180701_123936.jpg

This was a neat stop. An old stagecoach house/hotel and some other things. It was on the sign. Don't remember what it said.
    20180701_144056.jpg

Now were slabbing to Laramie for a hotel (with a pool, open til 10) then tomorrow we hit Crazy Horse and Mt Rushmore then to the badlands then east to home.