Headin'to Oz

Discussion in 'Australia' started by DR790, Jul 12, 2018.

1. DR790

DR790 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anticipation is building,on July 1st I sent in my visa application to the Australian Govt.They said it would take 20-27 days to process on average for an extended stay visa.On July 3rd I get an email my visa is granted and good for 6 months. I have now bought a direct flight from Vancouver to Brisbane leaving on August 29th.
    I put a deposit down on a used KLR all set up.It is waiting for me in Brisbane so I will soon have wheels when I arrive.
    All I need to do now is get things squared away here for my absence and make my way down to Vancouver with my riding gear.....
    Angry Pete, racca, BergDonk and 6 others like this.
  2. darren70

darren70 I don't own a KTM

Oddometer:
    Good on you mate
    A KLR is a good choice of bike to because it will make your trip seem longer.
    jtb, Anthiron, mcguyver and 24 others like this.
  3. DR790

DR790 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was looking for a DR but this bike came my way.I have never owned a water buffaloe before so this should be interesting.I've got 6 months so if my ride seems longer that is OK with me.As long as the bike goes the distance without incident I will be happy.
    darren70 likes this.
  4. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    Go to northern oz first before it gets too hot and wet
    MalleeFarmer and laurient like this.
  5. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Anywhere in Oz will seem hot after Valemount I reckon.
  6. tomrux

tomrux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in Brisbane. Have done much riding around here and overseas. If I can be of any assistance ( got good workshop facilities) just let me know. Spare bed too if needed.

Cheers Tom R
  7. DR790

DR790 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I plan on going north to Cape York first but on my way I was invited pig hunting so that will be a side trip on the way.
  8. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    Six months with a KLR... it is just perfect! You are gonna love it...
  9. DR790

DR790 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Today,I rode to McBride ,a small town about an hour away on the highway to meet a guy from Cairns.That is where he has been the last 13 years in the Navy.Now he is in Brisbane area.Ryan has been puttin' around B.C.,Yukon and Alaska for the last 3 months.I invited him to stay over and help do so maintenance on his Dr650.We took the back roads home.It is nice to hear some stories of travellin' around Oz and some cool places to visit.
    More anticipation now!
    GodSilla likes this.
  10. a2zworks

a2zworks Así es la vida

Oddometer:
    :clap:jack:lol3:imaposer
    Anthiron likes this.
  11. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is your new bike at a dealership?
  12. DR790

DR790 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No,I bought it privately
  13. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They aren't kidding you when they advise you to get rid of the KLR,,,,now don't get me wrong, for short blasts in the woods & the mud it's a fun bike,,,,
    For 6 months touring in Australia it's probably the worst decision you have made up to now................BEG the guy to take it back & get something else, anything else (except a DRZ 400 like some poor guy who is coming to America to tour bought off another inmate!) DR 650 would be my recommendation.

Anyway, good luck, & here's an Aussie website that could be helpful; www.netrider.net.au
  14. DR790

DR790 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was looking for a DR650.Things just kinda' fell into place and I ended up with a KLR.
    When I rode My DR to SA I saw a number of KLRs on my way and even rode with a few.They seemed to do the job.All I need is to get around without it calving and I'll be fine.If it calves on me Then I guess I made a poor choice,but no matter what anything mechanical can and will break down at some point.
    darren70 likes this.
  15. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    KLR is a great bike for doing Oz.
    I'd recommend that it has the "doohickey" mod be done before any great distance is covered (if it hasn't been done before already)
    I'm 100km North of Brisbane if you want to have a look around the Sunshine Coast. :thumb
    DR790 and racca like this.
  16. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Based on what?

Nothing wrong with the budget touring capabilities of the KLR. The young blokes here to have some fun not to be involved some pissing contest
    motormike3, PBee, Portly and 7 others like this.
  17. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you know Quinton Jay? He has just returned from Oz after riding the KTM Rallye. He is from your neck of the woods.
  18. Angry Pete

Angry Pete Yeah, whatever

Oddometer:
    I took a KLR to the Cape in 1995, did the job with no fuss. Some DR owners are like the Rossi fanbois...

Kept the thing for many years had other great adventures, then decided I wanted something more exotic, sold it to purchase an Aprilia Pegaso.
    Now if you want to talk about a crap bike, bad after sales service, warrenty claims, I get PTSD (or whatever it’s called) just thinking about it :baldy:baldy

Here’s a little ride from a few years back;
    https://advrider.com/index.php?thre...rn-rivers-nsw-australia.541915/#post-11897357
    slowbike smallpenis likes this.
  19. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Give us a yell if you make it down to Sydney-Newcastle, happy to show you some of the riding we have on offer locally.
    DR790 likes this.
  20. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    And as discussed on the other forum, bed, beer, shed etc here in SE NSW, plus a DR if you need a fix after the KLR.
    Angry Pete and DR790 like this.