Headin'to Oz

Discussion in 'Australia' started by DR790, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    Yeah happy birthday mate, one thing I must say, by crikey you get around.

I hated Malcolm Douglas's Croc Park, bloody cruel how they treat them there, but loved Broome.
  2. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I was fighting a head wind or cross wind and I was considering riding out to a cape something or other on a dirt road to camp but I was tired and my tires being a bit low on tread I decided not to ride against more wind and eat dust.
    This morning I'm in Port Hedland sipping on a nice coffee.I will try and find a new back tire as there might not be one when I really need one.
    This is the most active port in the world for shipping minerals.There are some big ships tied up here.
    On the way into the port area there is a giant pile of salt ready to be loaded on ships.
    Lots of work going on here.
    This was a bottle of oxygen that was in a fire at a roadhouse I stopped at to refresh DSCF3644.JPG
    I don't know what kind of flowers these are but they are in bloom along the roadside now DSCF3642.JPG
    Kinda' nice to see instead of bush DSCF3643.JPG
    BergDonk, Sfcootz and Richarde1605 like this.
  3. cobrin

cobrin Live to Ride - Ride to Live

Oddometer:
    Ah so you saw the Port and the Salt flats, good one. Those flowers are called Purple Mulla Mulla. You're well and truly into the Pilbara now. You'll find a rear tyre no probs in Port Hedland if not there's Karratha still if you're headed the coastal route instead of inland (aka Newman) and onwards
    Sfcootz and Richarde1605 like this.
  4. Redback

Oddometer:
    Karratha has it all if not Port Hedland, I'd avoid Newman(personal opinion), rather comb the hair on my balls with barbed wire.
    Sfcootz and Richarde1605 like this.
  5. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As for the rear tire,I have been to 5 bike shops and not one had anything even close.What a bummer.I wanted to take the turn off to Karijini NP to have a boo at the gorges everyone was telling me about.Instead I thought it would be best to secure a rear tire so off to Karratha I go.At 2 shops there is only one tire .The girl even called to a shop in Carnarvon and they did not have a 130/17 either.I ended up buying a 4.60 17 Bridgestone for 150 bucks.They are a real bike shop and were very nice and helpful,my only choice or take a chance.I won't put it on until I absolutely need too.
    I have been in this situation before down in Argentina where a guy in a bike shop gave me a take off to get me by as I was down to the cords.When I did get new rubber I was down to the cords again.
    A shop I stopped at in Port Hedland the guy looked at me kinda' sideways.I thought WTF is this all about,keep a smile on my face and be nice.When I found the place I didn't even think it was a bike shop as all I could see was a bunch of fuckin' boats and caravan trailers.As I looked around to find my way into the joint I meet this sales guy that is lookin' at me kinda funny like.There were about 4 or 5 bikes in the entrance way.I guess that classifies as a bike shop but I really didn't think they would have a tire for my bike,I was right.
  6. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    I know the problem - You are asking for a 'TIRE' - try asking for a 'TYRE'

Guy = Bloke BTW
    BergDonk, DR790, Sfcootz and 2 others like this.
  7. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or maybe "tar' as to how to say it correctly from my birthing area !!! FA! Bob has been there/done that!
    Sfcootz likes this.
  8. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are a tough SOB.
    Redback likes this.
  9. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I pulled into a campsite in Karratha I never even had my shit pulled off my bike yet and this guy Steve comes over to bullshit and invites me to a B- Que.His wife is a Phillapineo,Christine.There were a few others that came over as well.Great evening and good grub with all the trimmings and a few beers to go down the hatch as well.
    Port Hedland
    DSCF3646.JPG
    pass the salt please DSCF3647.JPG
    DSCF3648.JPG
    Corral Bay,I went for a dip here.The water temperature was 21*.I tried to rent some snorkel gear from the guys at the end of the beach and they said it was too late in the day.The tide was perfect too.That pissed me off so I walked back into town and met an artist,Daniel, painting a diving mural on a guys van.We had a good chat and he gave me the snorkel diving equipment to use 'till dark.That was cool.Back to the end of the beach where the diving is best.
    The coral here is very big and lots of browns and a little bit of blue.Mostly like real big flowering cabbage or lettuce looking.Many small fish where I was swimming.
    I like the reef on the east coast better as it is much more varied and colourful too.Also bigger fish.
    I liked it here and it is a very good place to bring your family.Very expensive here.Tourist town mining the tourists.
  10. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The last couple of days I've been getting shots of rain and mega wind off the Indian Ocean.The wind has been blowing me around on the road with big gusts.
    Kalbarri NP is real nice.With the recent rain showers the desert has begun to bloom. DSCF3653.JPG DSCF3652.JPG DSCF3655.JPG
    I crossed the DSCF3649.JPG
    riding south this time.
    I have been seeing quite a few feral goats now.One more critter to look out for.
    I'm in Geraldton for the night and are going to a bike shop in the morning .
    BergDonk, Sfcootz, Redback and 3 others like this.
  11. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lighthouse in Geraldton DSCF3662.JPG
    some big breakers coming in to shore from the Indian Ocean.You can see moisture in the air DSCF3659.JPG
    This wind is the cause of my grief on the road.Guys I've talked with said I will like the change from the heat.I'm not so sure about that.
    Today I saw lots of bikes on the road.That is 4 days of steady riding without seeing a bike.Must be the weekend warriers .
  12. "A"

"A" numbum

Oddometer:
    Been good reading about the places you have visited and getting the perspective of an overseas visitor.
    As a matter of interest, are you in a hurry now? It's just that you have skirted around some of the best the Pilbara has to offer.
    When heading below Perth, some of us Southerners could give some good pointers of places to visit/stay etc.
    Enjoy the ride.
    A
  13. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bit of tree climbing might be the go...
  14. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was told there are some big trees south of Perth.I fell trees in the logging industry for over 20 years so I would like to see this big wood.
    I'm in no hurry,But I do like to ride.It is nice to see a few more bikes on the road and talk to other riders.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  15. Redback

Oddometer:
    Some info on our trees

Australia's mountain ash (Eucalyptus regnans) is the second tallest growing tree species in the world. The tallest specimen – nicknamed 'Centurion' – stands at 99.6m in Tasmania's Arve Valley. It is the world's tallest flowering plant and known hardwood tree.

The ones south west of WA are Karris no-one really knows how big karris get, one in the Karri Forest the veiwing platform is at 60M.

Baz.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  16. "A"

"A" numbum

Oddometer:
    Yes, the big tree country around Pemberton and down to Denmark is pretty good. Tall Karri trees still exist but the really big ones were chopped down in the 30's I think. If I remember rightly, some of those were said to have been around 100 m or more in height but any evidence is long gone. Whilst bullshitting about W.A. I might as well state that the best beaches in the world are between Walpole and Esperance (or just East of Esperance). The fastest I ever rode my R 80 G/S was on the Bremer Bay beach back in the day so that makes it an excellent beach. It didn't go any faster than much over the ton though. What would the Kawasaki do I wonder. :-)
    Sfcootz and DeLewis like this.
  17. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm south of Perth now,not sure where I will end up.
    I feel good,the weather has smartened up and I installed some new boots on my bike.It always feels good when you know everything under you is in good shape and ready to go the distance.The old rubber is pretty much used up.I didn't think they would last as long as they did.When it was hot at the end of the day I could notice the wear but after it rained and cooled down the tires weren't rubbed away as quickly. DSCF3665.JPG .
    DSCF3667.JPG
    I went for a blast along the beach.The tide was fairly high but on the way out so I didn't go that far.It was very soft getting to the hard packed sand especially loaded down with all my junk tied on DSCF3664.JPG
  18. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is what I woke up to this morning near Margret River DSCF3670.JPG
    Later in the morning I rode around looking at the big trees.This is the biggest one I saw,even bigger than the look out trees they built ladders and tree houses in.This one is over 8 feet on the but and is quite a nice stick. DSCF3681.JPG
    There was some nice dirt road tours through some old growth.It would be some nice falling in here! DSCF3674.JPG
    Here is a climbing tree that was a lookout for fires before the use of spotter planes DSCF3687.JPG
    There is no doubt there is a lot of volume and weight in the Karri trees but if you go to the Queen Charlette Islands,The Stika Spruce are bigger and just as tall.Maybe even taller.I saw some there over 14 feet in diameter on the butt.Also in Northern California the giant Redwoods are big as well.Even more volume in each stick than anything I've seen anywhere else.
    I would love to fall some of this big Australian hardwoods.
    BergDonk, Sfcootz and Richarde1605 like this.
  19. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DSCF3666.JPG
    WTF
    BergDonk and Richarde1605 like this.
  20. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One thing I have noticed is the kangaroos are much bigger in the south of Australia.They are also a lot darker,maybe 'cause they live more in the timber where it is shaded and more food and water is available.
    It seems that the Emu's can be found just about anywhere also.I have seen them crawling up sand dunes or out in farmers fields or run across the road out of the big timber.I enjoy seeing the fluid motion of the roos hopping across the road as I putt along early in the morning.
    DSCF3669.JPG
    BergDonk and Sfcootz like this.