Headin'to Oz

Discussion in 'Australia' started by DR790, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hahaha, funny segue TonyDe, 790's post follows beautifully :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  2. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stockwhip was the first manmade thing to go supersonic, that trivia should win you a beer somewhere 790 :-)

I worked at a mill with only one sheet of corro, over the engine. Mostly on the milling table, I was pretty good at running the tracks guessing the balance point for the dummy, but also snigged and worked the big blade on breakdown.

Loving the RR, very entertaining style, and great photos :-)

Take care mate :-)

3. xlcc

xlcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The guys name is Rocky.He has 150 head of horses down south.His brother has camels.I will stop and stay with them when I get in their part of Oz
    Sfcootz and Anthiron like this.
  5. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This morning I was up at 5:30 out wandering around,Cookaburros calling parakeets wizzing by. A little morning fog on the lake and a heavy dew.I was looking to see another platapus in a shallow channel but came a DSCF3531.JPG cross a very large turtle about the size of a seat cushion.The biggest turtle I have seen to date.My hosts said they have never seen one that big around the lake area.That is because there eyes were closed as they were still sleeping so you must get up early if you want to see the big one. I didn't get a picture with my little pocket camera as I didn't want to disturb him to sneak closer.
    We went for a blast on the lake this morning in the ski boat.This boat really rips when you open 'er up.They use it to pop two skiers out of the water.
    Yungaburro is a nice place with the water sports on the nearby lake. DSCF3533.JPG
    Sfcootz, richo360, BergDonk and 4 others like this.
  6. speedwobble2

speedwobble2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking pretty laid back there Bob
  7. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is a tough life but, somebody has to do it.
    Sfcootz and Gale B.T. like this.
  8. TonyDe

TonyDe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Almost didn't recognize you in the shades... But I could bang out copy in the same newsroom as Clark Kent and never notice he looks just like Superman with glasses on.
  9. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be forced to post that laid back cool dude lake pic in Tete Jaune:)))
  10. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it was a nice day on the lake.First thing this morning I was the spotter for my hosts out water sking.They are very good skiers on one ski.It was lots of fun to go out before breakfast while the lake is dead flat.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  11. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    I get up that way when ever i can.
    The Atherton tablelands is the area they were thinking of when the term "gods country" was first used!
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  12. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think my rear shock will be finished today as the seal they needed arrived at noon.It will be nice to get my bike back together and on the road again.
    I would like to ride to Port Douglas and try some snorkel diving in the area while I am here.Anybody have any recomendations or advise.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  13. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup,Got 'er back together with a rebuilt shock now.It took a little longer than they figured as the shock is a Ricor ,made in America and they had to get the seals from Sydney so that took a little extra time.The shop has Kayaba and Showa bushings and seals in stock for most bikes .Great guys that worked hard to get a traveller back on the road.
    I went for a little putt up the hill on my host's dirt driveway to make sure everything was good to go.Nice,no more pogo stick action.
    This morning I will ride to Cairns to check out a store called Anaconda.It is an outdoor supply place .I would like to get a water bladder.
    After the shopping Port Douglas is my destination for today.Gott'a go snorkling on the Great Barrier Reef.
    Every morning at my camp just above Lake Tinaroo at first light about 5:30 these two Cookaburros start their calls.It is a really nice song that carries on for long time.They will do two calls each,like to say good morning,then it is over.I just think it is a beautiful call.
    Sfcootz, Richarde1605 and BergDonk like this.
  14. tomrux

tomrux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First they are Kookaburra. Second that is a territorial/ family thing. And yes they are gorgeous birds.

If I was doing the snorkel thing I'd, if it were me, get the boat over to Green Island from Cairns.
    There are 4 mountain passes near Cairns being, 1 The Mulligan highway north from Mossman that comes around and back down 2 The Kuranda Range back into Cairns. The others are 3 The Gillies Range drops down from Yungaburra to Gordonvale to the south of Cairns. The last is the Palmerston Highway.
    The pick is The Gillies. Similar to Deals gap but with couple fewer corners but a greater elevation change.
    I think you could spend a couple weeks around Cairns and not get bored. I know you time is short, just have fun hey, but do the Gillies.

Cheers Tom R
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  15. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had always loved the kookaburra but the savvy bastards have stolen too many meals from in front of me out in the bush where i used to ride horses, heartless, steal a much needed sandwich and they laugh at me.:eekers
    Sfcootz and Richarde1605 like this.
  16. tomrux

tomrux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had the laughing bastards steal food from my plate at the staff eaterie on Hamilton Is

Cheers Tom R
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  17. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I went snorkel diving one and half hours out of Port Douglas on a catamaran.It is powered by twin 650 hp Yanmar engines and cruises at 25 knotts.It is 6.9 meters long with a 6 meter beam.A very nice dive.Actually 3 dives in 3 different locations.The first was shallow. Tons of colourful coral ,blues ,yellows,browns etc.All kinds of fish.The second dive was deeper with boulder size coral that look like brains,more fish of all sort colours and shapes.The 3rd dive was deeper yet with caves and over hanging shelves.I saw baracouda and grouper here as well as some kind of fish shaped like a flute.There is giant clams close to 4 feet across.
    The Great Barrier Reef is truly a wonderful place to visit.I chose not to use a wet suit so I could dive down and check out the under water world.With a wet suit and no weights it would be difficult to dive.The water is warm anyways.I was swimming with a bioligist that showed me some sea grapes that we ate while under the water.Truly a special place.
    The staff on board were great and snacks and lunch were provided.
    In the early morning at my camp,42 bucks a night...ouch,there are these birds high in the trees that make a call that sounds like the noise made when you throw a rock on a frozen lake or jump up and down on the ice.They call until about 6:15 am then they are gone.
    Another neat thing were these giant bats,almost the size of a football flying by early in the morning going to their hangout.
    I met a guy named Andrew riding a 650 BMW that bought me a coffee this morning at this cafe' in Port Douglas.We talked about some of the places we have both rode to in different parts of the world.He lives in P.D.This is where I get the wifi.He is a great source of information about this area.
    going from Yungabuura to Gordonvale was a great ride with lots of curves and hills.It made a big difference with a good rear shock.
    Heading toward Cooktown today.A guy at the campsite gave me a ferry ticket to use on the way north.He is from South Africa.
    I will get some flics happening later. For now.....
  18. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Choice, no doubt they upgraded your dives because of your ability :-)
    So glad that you seem to be enjoying your time here.

19. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Making my way north.Rode the Bloomfield road.Did a few easy creek crossings and some very steep hills.Up to 31Percent going up and 27 going down.That is steep.
    On a recommendation I stayed the night at the Lion's Den Hotel.Live band with a guy playing gituar and a mic stuffed in the end of a deridgidoo...might have the name wrong and a guy playing 2 sets of wooden spoons.
    It has been a while with no wifi.I thought there would be more wifi service on my travells.I was cut off when trying to get this message off quite a while ago.
    I will catch up later and tell some stories about going to the tip of Cape York.
    At present I'm in Mt.Isa.
    It actually feels pretty nice to get outta all the fuckin' dust.
    I am out of wifi time getting caught up on my emails.
  20. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you survived the 4wd's going to the tip. I hate the weekend warriors in their 4wd's that have no idea what side of the road they are supposed to be on (I had bad experiences with f@#king 4wd's on the PDR unfortuately).

Sorry rant over :D
    Sfcootz and mytmav like this.