Headin'to Oz

Discussion in 'Australia' started by DR790, Jul 12, 2018.

1. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rant isn't over yet.On the way back from the Trip to the Tip of Cape York on a curvy section of the Peninsula Development Road this guy in an SUV is approaching me.I must slow down because of the dust,not that I'm going fast anyways.He is well over on his side of the road and me on the ditch side tire track then all of a sudden this fuckin' douche bag following the SUV in the dust figures it is a good time to pass going into a blind curve.He is on my side of the road and is driving a 4x4 towing a trailer with a couple of kids bicycles tied down on top of his stuff. I just miss a steel road marker post on the edge of the ditch and he just misses me.Fuckin' idiot.
    I was lucky.I don't know what his hurry was as most of the road is straight and you can see for miles.Taking his family on holidays as they are out of school I suppose.
    Lots of dirt roads with washboard,ruts and bulldust.The country doesn't change much but the road sure does.
  2. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At times I marvell on how vast the country is.It is so flat and wide in places you can see the curvature of the earth.It looks like I am riding along in a big circle.I have noticed this a few times in different areas of Oz.
    On the way south I took a road that is about 25 Kms. south of Musgrave Roadhouse to the Mitchel River ford.A real nice ride.Saw only one vehicle in 250 kms.I camped on the south side of the ford after walking around to figure how deep it was.There are some rubber mats to ride on.The deepest was to the front axle for a short bit.
    Where I camped,within 150 meters of me I counted 28 kangaroos.They were not too worried about me being there.
    Later that night I walked down to the river as the sun was setting.A beautiful view,full moon and all.This guy drives across the ford in his 4x4 and turns around and parks in the middle.His 2 kids crawl into the box of the truck and start casting a line in the river.
    I talk with the guy and he tells me about this big salty croc he has seen there multiple times.That is why the kids are in the box.He tells me to be real careful washing my dishes.
    He works on the Koolotah Station.Over 10,000 cattle.Some stations have as many as 30'000 cattle.Holy shit,that is a lot of fucking cows.
    Once I joined onto the Burke Development Road I headed to Karumba on the Gulf of Carpentaria.About 600 Kms. of dirt and no gas pumps along the way.At times I wondered if I was on the correct track as there are other roads that lead off that look the same.Some have signs some don't.This bike gets unreal milage as I still had lots of gas when I got to Normanton.
    I watched the sun set on the Gulf like others that came there and ate an awesome seafood meal for supper with prawns,scallops and fish and chips.
    I moved on and are camped in town at Mt.Isa.Just taking it easy today as I only rode from Cloncurry,about 120 kms.Did some washing to get rid of the dust that has engrained everything I own and catch up on this bullshit session.I was told not to do pictures as this wifi is scetchy at best.
  3. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't want to be riding double after riding that road,pretty risky.I met 2 guys riding slowly on Triumph Tigers and saw one guy go down.He never got hurt but like I said the risk is high and your wife will probably hate you for taking her there.Your choice.
    BergDonk likes this.
  4. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The country finally started to change.From Cloncurry to Mt.Isa there are some hills with rocky out croppings.Something else to look at rather than trees and grass or burning grass and logs.Not that I didn't enjoy the seat time.
  5. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do miss my DR.Now I know why they build KLRs,just to make you understand things better.
    BergDonk and Richarde1605 like this.
  6. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen a few small fresh water crocs but no big salt water crocs yet.Anyone know of a place to see them in their natural habitat instead of a feeding at a wildlife park .I am on my way into the Northern Territory tomorrow on my way to Darwin.I have been told there are lots of crocs up there.
    I need to do another serviceing on my bike soon as well.Seems it is a holiday long weekend I will have to pick up some oil in Katherine I suppose.Any ideas?
    DSCF3580.JPG
    Mitchel River ford....We can only get one photo to work as it takes forever
  7. TonyDe

TonyDe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For whatever forensic value the information might have, what color dish scrubbie are you using? If somebody were to see a blue one in a pile of croc scat and we have it on the record yours is yellow, we'd at least know to keep following yer thread. Aw, don't thank me now for my concern, amigo, you know we're there for ya.
  8. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure enjoying the riding,what surprises me is the lack of bikes on the road.This flic is on the ferry crossing the Jardine River
    Sunset in Karumba at the Gulf of Carpentaria. DSCF3574.JPG
    DSCF3572.JPG DSCF3586.JPG DSCF3569.JPG
    Sfcootz, BergDonk and Richarde1605 like this.
  9. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    A what oil question? Caltex Delo 400 will do the job and should be in stock at any Caltex servo.

Seems like your adventure is happening :beer
    Sfcootz and Richarde1605 like this.
  10. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thoroughly enjoying your report. You mentioned the seafood at the pub at Karumba which of course lives on prawning and fishing, however virtually all the seafood sold in Karumba is brought in from the Sydney fish market! I was dumbfounded to be told that by the woman running the restaurant at the pub a few kms out of town. She explained that all the stuff caught on the big trawlers gets picked up by a mother ship or two and sent off to south east asia. To add insult to injury she told me that the prawns i was eating were imported from vietnam via the sydney market. Ride safe.:photog
    BergDonk and Richarde1605 like this.
  11. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's an old saying up north that is you never swim anywhere north of the tropic of Capricorn unless it has chlorine in it.

Wise words to follow I reckon.

Don't want to become tomorrows croc shit.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  12. Philzorz

Philzorz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which road was that mate just out of interest? we have been out as much as possible trying all different types of terrain to get some practice before we leave for the big trip on friday. The gs has been great to us both but we had out first off on some goddamn sand. Iv never ridden in it and we are on road tyres not sure if the shinkos 805's im getting for the trip would have helped much, we camped out at Rocklands Reservoir near the grampians in Vic and the road was hard packed dirt most of the way so we were putting along at a nice 50 km's or so without issues then being new to offroad i guess i didnt read the signs well but the road changed colour for a patch and yup it was sand that sank my front wheel all the way to the rim when we hit it at 50, needless to say the bike was loaded up plus the wife on the back so it just threw us right then left and layed us down on the side, thank god we were both ok and the bike was fine aswell, feeling a bit sore today in the hips and lower back and knees but overall we were very lucky.. im so glad i watched bret tkacs youtube videos on how to pick the bike up because i can tell you a fully loaded gs1200 with a full tank down flat on sand was a bloody struggle and sapped alot of my energy to get it up.. hope there isnt miles and miles of sand at the cape im sure everyone will tell me there is and scare the shit outta me before the trip lol. Enjoy the stay and safe travels im watching ur thread closely to see what sights i gotta see along the way! Safe travels mate seems you beat us up there but if i find somewhere along the way that we can catch up for a brew i will be sure to mark it down.
  13. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today's ride,I saw two bikes coming towards me.It has been a while since I have seen another bike so I wave to the the guys.The guy in the lead kinda looked at me and tilted his head a bit then carried on.The second guy I waved to as well to iknowledge their presence on the road in such a deserted place and he kinda signalled me and carried on like he would be guilty if he didn't do something 'cause his buddy didn't.WTF,I have ridden a lot of places but don't get it.Other countries riders seem happy to sign your presence.
    Oh I get it.It must be the KLR I'm ridin'.
    Queensland is behind me for a while now.I crossed the border into Northern Territory.I like the sound of that.It is kinda' like crossing the Arctic Circle going into NWT.North West Territory or Yukon Territory in Canada.This area is called the Tablelands,I can see why.It is as flat as your kitchen table.
    There is this roadside rest area coming up in 5 Kms. and it is time for a break so I pull off the highway and there is a shelter there for shade.It is about 40 C so it nice to get out of the sun for a bit.When I pull up to the shelter this guy and his wife,Ian and Carol come out of their caravan trailer they are draggin' around with a little Ford pickup and give me an ice cold Bundabery lemon and lime drink.Carol also makes me a toasted BLT sandwich.How cool is that.We talk about travelin' and before they leave they figure I should take another bottle of Lemon lime drink and a litre of ice cold water with me.Nice people!
    This afternoon I decided to camp at Barkley Roadhouse.A nice place.
    DSCF3591.JPG DSCF3563.JPG DSCF3585.JPG
    More of my buddies.I cut the engine and they came almost to me.When I fired up they wanted to race. DSCF3558.JPG
    This dingo wasn't into racing.This is for Speedwobble
  14. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are wearing a helmet you get a wave from me ;-) the dog sign made me think of this scene...

NSFW

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  15. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DSCF3593.JPG
    The waitress in the Barkley Roadhouse saw me checking this bike out and offered to take a picture.It is a Rudge.
  16. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The road to the tip has tons of washboard that will rattle your gear,bike arms and brains as in WTF am I doin' here.Then the colour of the dirt changes again and it is real soft bull dust,like talcom powder with big fuckin' potholes that are covered level with the bulldust so you can barely see them.I got outta shape more than once so you must be going into it slow enough you can use your throttle to get around the holes or to pull out of the soft stuff.If you are going just a little bit too fast and have to slow your weight will transfer to your front wheel and it will be very hard to steer as the front wheel will now be plowing.
    There is also a red and black sand that can be leading into some corrigations(washboard) that can throw you around alot.Sometimes it is better travelin' on the wrong side of the road.Keep your eyes peeled behind you as well as some guys drive that road like it is the Baja 1000.On the sharper curves it can be very hard to stay in your lane.The upper portion being super soft and chewed up.Gravity wants to pull you down to the inside.Not bad if there is no traffic but is very dangerous if there is traffic.
    There are places you can putt along at 80 Km. but be very wary for the next change in conditions.Good Luck!
    BergDonk, Philzorz and Richarde1605 like this.
  17. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:

:-)

Love a bit of washboard

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    DR790 likes this.
  18. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    It's been great watching your progress around the place, don't feel bad about those that don't wave, a head node/tilt is usually what most do now, sign of the times I'm afraid I noticed it when I got back into touring on bikes, it used to be only Harley rider didn't wave, now virtually no one waves, a node now and then if you're lucky.

BTW washboards are called corrugations here.

Baz.
    Sfcootz and Richarde1605 like this.
  19. speedwobble2

speedwobble2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sadly you will encounter this quite often these days. Usually wankers with all the gear and no idea and shit riders who aren’t compent enough to lift a hand from their handlebars.
    Still haven’t got those dogs yet.
    Sfcootz and DR790 like this.
  20. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a great evening at Daly Waters.An old time Pub started in 1880.Lots of neat stuff to look at around the joint.Met a couple of travellers and was invited for Christmas if I am east of Melbourne at that time.Also to hunt for a black coloured deer on his property.That would be cool.
    Also met a couple of guys going pig huntin' up near Darwin area.They had a side by side and a couple of dogs.They were just pumped and wanted to keep movin'.
    Did an oil change on the Kawi this morning at the Honda shop in Katherine.60 bucks for the oil and they gave me a container and a spot in the shade to do the job.They were nice people and wanted to hear about my trip .
    Not sure if I'm going to stay here the night or keep rolling towards Darwin.
    BergDonk likes this.