Headin'to Oz

Discussion in 'Australia' started by DR790, Jul 12, 2018.

1. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you see 3 toy soldier legs attached to a key ring just above the entrance door (the the Daly Waters pub)? Wondering if they are still there.

3legs....gettit:lol3. Thats me. Left them there in 2008 on the way back from the OCR.

3legs
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  2. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I never noticed the key ring,there is a LOT of stuff to see in and around the pub.
  3. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The road in the above flicks is on the last leg to the Tip as far as you can ride.On that road there were several bush turkeys struttin' around.I don't mean to discourage you.Gotta' think positive.
  4. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    She definately is not playing the corrigation.
    diabolik37 and Richarde1605 like this.
  5. Philzorz

Philzorz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah cheers we will still give it a go we leave tomorrow to head to cairns im just gonna take my time once the going gets tough iv always been pushed with time constraints but iv learnt after the off that all rushing does is ruin the day and your composure. Ill keep following your thread hopefully our paths can cross at some point and i can shout you a cold one
  6. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Philzorz,have a great trip.Glad you are enjoying the ride of mine too.
    Philzorz likes this.
  7. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made my way from Katherine this morning to Darwin.Lots of dead pigs on the roadside near Adelaide River.One boar was easy 250kgs.,half the size of a cow yet.
    I like Darwin,easy to get around and nice helpful people.Very nice to see the beautiful colour of the ocean and all the boats.
    I liked the ride along the water.Went to the old scene of the battle grounds when the Japanese invaded.The old bunkers and ammunition magazines etc.
    Trying to find a nice place to camp wasn't easy.Very pricey.They said this is Darwin so I peeled 'er.I was into ridin' and ended up in Berry Springs at a campsite that only hooked me for 15 bucks.A real down home kinda place,nice.People come over to talk and I wonder around and bullshit with others.It seems that the campsites that are over $30 or $40 there is less maintenance ,dirtier and the people seem more stuck up,not always but go figure.
    Real slow wifi tonight so only 1 flick.I have a couple mor e at the Daly Waters pup to show as well but you'll have to wait. DSCF3608.JPG
    Sfcootz, dunc, BergDonk and 1 other person like this.
  8. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the wifi price is fair for the space, enjoy :-)
    Oh and either miss the pigs, or hit em on the as square as you can

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Sfcootz likes this.
  9. loxsmith

loxsmith Good ol days my arse

Oddometer:
    Ex. Little village called Brisbane, Australia
    Hey Bob, didn't know you were on here. I hope that KLR is behaving for you, it's used to travelling those roads
    I see Tony is also watching this

We got back to Brisbane about 2 weeks ago
    You still got my number, don't hesitate to ring me any time
    Glen
    griffo1962 and Sfcootz like this.
  10. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Glen,The bike is running great,I'm in Halls Cr.WA at the moment,just passing through and saw a free wifi sign at the tourist info joint.Everything is screened or barred up here.The info is closed too.
    I have been puttin the miles on,mostly pavement lately.I'll do a catch up when I get a better opprotunity....
  11. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to back track quite a bit as I am in Broome WA at the moment.
    From Berry Springs I took the back road into Litchfield National Park.A very nice ride indeed.Lots of curves that are tight enough you have to mind your speed.A little dirt for maybe 10 kms.,hardly any traffic as well.Stopped by some nice waterfalls and a pool that is nice for a dip.
    The humidity in the air was so thick I thought it was going to rain but it never did.Eventually it cleared .
    Made my way into Katherine again and picked up some groceries for the road and kept riding.I stayed at Victoria R. Crossing Roadhouse campground.Only $7.50.When I pulled in there were a couple of bikes in the campground.After settin' up camp I wondered over to the roadhouse for a cool one.The two bikers invited me to sit with them.One guy had a GS Beemer and I had never seen the likes of the other guys bike.I asked him if it was some kind of Chin-Wa.He assured me it wasn't but was an Italian 650 single that was injected with one cylinder and twin exhaust pipes that sounds just ape and goes like stink.Oh, never heard of that make before I said.He then invites me to ride with them if I can keep up as they cruise along at 120.He then tells me I should have no problem.The guy with the beemer had all the gear and gadgets and a nice set up for camp.The guy with the Chin-Wa as I called it had a nicely equipped bike too.
    I told them I don't ride that fast as I like to look at the dingos ,birds, wild horses and stray cows instead of keeping my eyes glued to the road.In the morning we were all packed about the same time .Chin-Wa first and impatiently waiting for Beemer and me second.I waived good bye as I pulled out of camp.Funny thing I never saw them again.
    I kept plugging along and entered Western Australia and got checked by the border guy for fruit etc.We had a nice chat. The scenery does not change all that much but was nice between Halls Cr. to Kununurra and Victoria Crossing.
    Lots of helmet time and long straight ,flat roads with bush on each side I was looking at the red dirt in the ditches and the good pavement then it dawned on me the last 600 kms the firthest I leaned my bike over was to park it on it's side stand.
    I never thought I'd say this but there was a little cloud cover this morning and in places made some shade.It felt kinda nice.At times the heat from the sun and the road surface and breeze coming across the red dirt you could really feel the heat.I don't think I have drank as much water as this stretch.
    Tomorrow is my birthday so I think I'll hang around here and enjoy a good meal or two and look around town. DSCF3612.JPG DSCF3614.JPG DSCF3619.JPG
    Angry Pete, LOFTYBOB, Gunerdo and 2 others like this.
  12. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of dead cattle and wallabees on the roadside.Sometimes you can smell them before you see them

DSCF3620.JPG This bull did not like me stopping.He was by himself with none of his kind around for miles.
    Back in Darwin.This guy fishing wasn't too worried about crocs it seemed DSCF3610.JPG
  13. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy birthday!!
  14. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    Broome is as good a place as any to spend your birthday!
    Enjoy
    Angry Pete likes this.
  15. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Caravan Park opposite the Animal Bar sells frozen locally caught fish - plus you can pick up mud crabs there.... Prawns we have never bothered
  16. loxsmith

loxsmith Good ol days my arse

Oddometer:
    Ex. Little village called Brisbane, Australia
    Happy Birthday Bob, keep up the good work
    At this rate you will have heaps of time to spare, see you when you finish mate
  17. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the birthday wishes you guys.I just putted around in my shorts an t shirt and running shoes today.I felt naked.Got lots of sun.
    Also went to the Douglas Croc Wildernes Park.and used my senior discount.Those crocs are pretty badass critters alright.Very sneaky.
    Was also down at the beach.I am going to treat myself to supper in town tonight
    Tomorrow I'm splittin' for parts south from here.Don't know how far i'll get but it dosen't really matter. DSCF3634.JPG DSCF3630.JPG DSCF3628.JPG
    The Indian Ocean is a pretty colour and warm.
  18. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes i was aware of that but i wasn't on a cooking holiday, i was riding alone and eating out every night , sad irony that in such a hot fishing spot the local buyer is effectively not considered in the big scheme, perhaps symptomatic of how our economy at large is travelling. Was only there for 2 nights, prior to the second night became aware of the big bags of frozen prawns for sale in the caravan park but couldn't see myself eating the lot sitting alone in my room. If I'm ever up there again i might indulge in a whole bag, they looked pretty good!:photog
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  19. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy birthday DR790, should be one to remember.:drink
    :thumb
    Sfcootz likes this.
  20. Sfcootz

Sfcootz Proud to be a 0.6106142755%er Super Moderator

Oddometer: