Headlamp Questions: 1976 R90/6

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Mule_Variations, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Mule_Variations

Mule_Variations n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the forum and to airhead ownership, and I'm quite excited that there is such a well established online community of riders! I'd been looking around my area for the right R90 and finally found the right fit last week. Now I've got a well maintained 76 R90/6 sitting in my shop and some more great riding weather coming up. I've poked around a bit here and on various different airhead forums for some info on these following questions, but haven't found and good answers yet. Here we go:

When I bought the bike it had a WindJammer III fairing installed that was showing age and cracked pretty bad, I removed it with the vague hope that the headlamp parts would match up to the stock R90 headlamp bucket. Being a 3rd party universal aftermarket fairing, I didn't hold my breath at all. And to my expectation nothing matched up. So now I have the stock bucket, wiring and board looks good to go inside, but I don't have any other parts, ring, brackets, what have you. looking on eBay and used parts adds, I can only seem to find the bucket and wiring for sale. Which is what I already have... Haven't seen any of the other parts, and actually don't even know exactly what I'm missing.
    So...

Does anyone have pictures of the stock set up?
    What exactly am I missing?
    Where would be the best place to source these parts?

Another thought I have:
    From looking around I've learned that due to the lack of space in the bucket, upgrading to a higher powered led light is difficult since the new bulbs have large heat sinks. It looks like the "ADVmonster Native H4" is the only current bulb that works in the space? I'd love to have a brighter than stock headlight without adding accessory lights to the bike.
    So...

Does anyone have any experience with newer bulbs that fit the stock setup?
    Would relocating the board and wiring to fit an entire led aftermarket bucket setup be worth the hassle? looks like a hassle...

Attached are pictures of what I do have. And the glass from the Windjammer.
    Thank you in advance for the help, I'm excited to start logging some miles!
    -Gary IMG_4128.JPG IMG_4129.JPG IMG_4130.JPG IMG_4131.JPG
  2. airheadPete

airheadPete Wherever they send me. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The first thing you need is the on-line parts fiche for reference.

I use realoem.com, just enter the last seven of your VIN#, and it will give you the correct pages. Click “browse parts” to start looking around.

At first glance, your bucket looks ok, but that’s not the right headlight. BMW used the same assembly from the /6’s through the last editions in ‘84 at least. (I can’t vouch for the monoshocks.)
    I love what they did with the turn signal stalks... just grabbed a wrench and bent them up, out of the way. :fpalm

Welcome to the asylum.

:wave
    Mule_Variations likes this.
  3. infinityedge

infinityedge Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your best bet is going to be https://www.motobins.co.uk/ as even with shipping from england it will probably wind up being cheaper than any place else.

You'll need the headlight lens, reflector, rim, and spring clamps. Maybe also indicator brackets.
  4. airheadPete

airheadPete Wherever they send me. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine:
    43125447-786D-4C10-ADD1-879A2D0A19CC.jpeg
    What you want:
    69EC8A09-DD2B-47F1-9C28-E6FF24523D18.jpeg
    What you need to get there:
    74A43877-FFC7-46AF-9CA4-05CC4D46F4E7.jpeg
  5. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you don't have any luck finding a reflector, I do have a spare OEM unit I could sell. I don't have the clips nor trim ring though
  6. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like everyone has got you pointed in the right direction.

Motobins is good, I've used them on a number of occasions. Parts plus shipping are reasonable and things often arrive faster than thru State side suppliers.

here is the parts fiche to your headlight on MAX BMW, below. You can order thru them, as well. Just compare prices and availability for the quickest and most cost effective method.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51889&rnd=07242017

One thing to note; the headlight ring sort of "snaps" on the headlight bucket. I often use a ziptie thru the bottom of the ring and bucket to secure the whole light in place. Others might chime in about this as well.
  7. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    PIAA makes many high output H-4 bulbs that use the same power as a 55/60 H-4 bulb
    If you are going to do a lot of nite/touring riding get some LED driving lamps
  8. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have some OEM stalks that I removed when I got the longer ones to fit an S fairing. PM me.
  9. Mule_Variations

Mule_Variations n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for the help! I’ll check into these and post the results. You guys are great!
  10. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've yet to see a PIAA bulb last more than 6 months in a bike that is ridden regularly. I gave up on them years ago, although they keep coming in-blown-in bikes in the shop.
    BoxerD likes this.
  11. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I swapped my PIAA 910's out for ADV Monster LED Mesh ones. They've been burning brightly ever since. The color matches the mesh monsters in the hi/low beams as well. All one color coming at you.
  12. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Check out Roland's site, he often has the used parts you need. http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/home?userid=BB2270E91CC04A6D8A724CB4D3A647E1 You need the headlight pig tail and the headlight unit. The wires that you will need to replace for the headlight pig tail are, Yellow for low beam, White for high beam, Brown for ground and Gray with a black stripe for the park light.

If you don't see what you need on Roland's page, drop him an email asking about what you need. Make sure you give him your year and model.
  13. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guess I'm doing wrong then
  14. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    You might actually be able to get away with using the reflector you have fitted to a new BMW chrome ring.

7" is 7".

:brow
  15. infinityedge

infinityedge Long timer

Oddometer:
    But 7" is not 8".
  16. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Nor is it 10". :brow

I believe /6 & 7 headlights are 7" measured across the lens.
  17. infinityedge

infinityedge Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope. The /5 and Windjammer fairings use standard 7" reflectors. The /6 and /7 use 8" (well 8 1/8", 190mm with a 7.5" lens).
  18. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarification.
  19. KatCon85

KatCon85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind used parts you can try Mike at Martindale Motorcycle works in Texas: 512. three five seven. 2842. He has lots of used parts in varying condition from junk to excellent.
    Also Larry Stonestreet in CA, he sometimes has great used parts: Stoner's Beemer Stash 951. eight one three. 1704.
    Both these guys know their Airheads.

I've got a adv monster led bulb in my /6. I love it and it's WAY brighter than the regular bulb I had in before.

Kat Connell
    1974 R75/6, 1989 R100GS
    www.katdash.com
  20. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Are you able to share a link to this product?