Headlight modulators - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Flash_old, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Flash_old

Flash_old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello-

I'm thinking of investing in a modulator for my headlight. Any recommendations on a manufacturer? Any comments on how effective they are or not?

-thanks

Flash
  2. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen these on a Tiger a friend has. They alternate the lights on high during the day. At night they disable with a photocel. I am thinking about putting them on my "01 Tiger. They also manufacture break light pulsers and sencors for your tires to provide a digital PSI on your dash while riding :cool:

http://www.kisantech.com/
  3. Bill

Bill Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    I had Kisan PathBlazer on my R11RT. I liked it. Worth the money to me.

The question on effectiveness is hard to prove. I never had anyone stop me and say "I would have run over you and killed you with my SUV, except that you had a flashing light."

I thought it worked in heavy traffic. I usually turned if off out on the open road and when stopped in traffic. However, I would probably leave it on if I were lane splitting like you will be.

Make sure to get the one that modulates the high beam. It is easy to use selectively during the daylight.

Bill
  4. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    I agree with everything Bill wrote. I use Kisan, wire to the highbeam (which is most visible anyway), and have the ability to turn it off during the day if I feel the need (but I never do).

Whenever I see another motorcycle with one I tend to think "there's a rider who knows what he's (she's) doing." Sure seems more noticeable to me. And I tend to think the police will give a little more slack if I'm ever caught, uh, a little over the speed limit. Okay, I'm wrong but it feels good to believe it.

I do believe strongly in Kisan's taillight modulator. If a motorist misses the dim-to-bright transition, you give them plenty of other opportunities.

I also bought but haven't installed yet their new product, which you place on your mirrors: LED turn signals way up high and outside, and brake lights too. Hard to mount so they look good, but there's no way a motorist can miss those unless they're looking right at the dialpad on their cell phone. You've probably seen those on a few cars, but these are amber from the front, red from the back, progressively blinking, and you can't miss them.

Baldy
  5. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Flash,

Just like Bill, I had the Kisan Path Blazer headlight modulator on my R1100RT. Installation was a snap, the daylight sensor really did work (turns off flashing when it gets dark), and people in traffic really did seem to notice me more. The unit flashes your high-beam (when it's on and it's light) and doesn't affect the low-beam.

I had done a lot of research at the time and found that the Kisan product was by far the best and easiest to install on the market. Maybe something better has come along in the past year or so, but the Kisan worked well for me.

They also make a pretty cool tail-light flasher - although I'd recommend Hyperlites as the best braking solution.

HTH,

Marc
  6. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I know some folks swear by them and I know they make you very visible, but I think they are really irritating. I think there's a balance between being conspicuous and being irritating. Headling modulators fall into the latter category, imho.
    Just my opinion, of course.
  7. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    I agree, they are irritating. I've seen the looks on some driver's faces when they see a modulating high-beam, and they are pissed. That's why high-beam activation, combined with judicious use are warranted. Since I like in a fringe-rural area, I often encounter some sort of farm vehicle entering a 50 MPH road from the side. You're cruising along at 50+++ and you don't know if they can see you or not. That's when to switch on the modulator. That way, when they pull out, you know that they were actually trying to hit you instead of just not seeing you!

Speaking of pissed, some LEO's don't realize that headlight modulators are legal. That's why Kisan includes a copy of the Federal statute addressing this very issue - with each unit they ship. That way, if you are harassed, you have it as proof. However, I've heard that some LEO's still will write you up - in that case, you'll have to bring it with you to traffic court when you fight (and win) your case.

Marc
  8. Flash_old

Flash_old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input -

I've decided to go with the Kisan TailBlazer for the time being - easy to install since the electronics are built into the fixture and I was able to get them for a good price as part of a package.

-take care

Flash
  9. Flash_old

Flash_old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Decided to "accent" the bike with run-n-lites (www.run-n-lites.com). Turns my turning lights into running lights/turning lights (dual filament bulbs). The guy has them for every BMW model - for the GS ~$28 for the front and another 28 for the back. I hope to install them this weekend (I work too much to do this easy fix during the week - arrgh) so I'll send an update soon.

-thanks for all the suggestions

Flash